DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

My sister bought a guitar. These have become popular in the shutdown. I have been looking for a guitar, but there seems to be a shortage. Many people have bought scooters, as the government told us to keep away from public transport. Has anyone here made a substantial purchase?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My son’s got the coof and is stuck in his uni house, so I’ve sent him a few beers to cheer him up. He’s seen the funny side.  

Its a Trump Chicken. Tester for the new trade deal. Taste like Chicken but look absolutely fowl. 

Posted Images

I’ve bought new sofas (last ones 25 years old), although wanting to buy good quality and British has meant long delays as they are made to order and are taking for ever - after the last delay will be 17 weeks from date of order! Hopefully I’ll get them before the sun goes supernova.

Just now, MrPin said:

You will have @Carl Fimbleround to help you out?

I'm alright ta.

We bought a house in the country, that's the only Corona Virus purchase I can think of, aside from 657,000 rolls of bog roll and approx one tonne of food, that's all used up though now and we're back to living off toast and wiping with back copies of Soft Secrets. 

Just now, onlyme said:

Bought one recently for family so had to revert to s/h. No problem though bought first Thinkpad after having been solidly Dell for years, quite impressed.

I think most laptops are made in China, and maybe they are having difficulty exporting them?

3 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I think most laptops are made in China, and maybe they are having difficulty exporting them?

Backlog plus massive demand I reckon -  all those working from home, multinational companies alone must be draining 100,000's from the supply chain. I spoke to small IT supplier, said just couldn't get any stock, all of it either going to the US or the likes of PC world with an MOQ of 1,000. Pretty much the same story for small chain hardware stores, supplying routed to large stores and they are being left with big holes on their shelves, subtly hidden by overloading with more stock from the back room onto the retail part but still very noticeable when you look.

Air parcel cost has rocketed 3-4x - so not the hold space to piggyback off so anything low value / non essential will go slow boat, but still means actual transportation capacity has been cut back by the loss of those passenger flights.

8 minutes ago, The Idiocrat said:

I’ve bought new sofas (last ones 25 years old), although wanting to buy good quality and British has meant long delays as they are made to order and are taking for ever - after the last delay will be 17 weeks from date of order! Hopefully I’ll get them before the sun goes supernova.

Don't own but for a long time pined after a good chesterfield.  Iirc when I looked a few years ago for a British made one it came to around 4k.

I used to hear people talk about buying sofas at work from the likes I think of DFS where they may spend 2.5k.... To me always seemed like a lot more run for your money if you could spend a bit more.  

My sister still has bits of furniture  that are over 40 years old.  Probably look a bit weathered but solid and I thought the weathered look sometimes adds value in some strange way if ever goes to auction.

When it comes to actual solid drawers dressers that kind of thing I was also led to believe you can pick up good quality for next to nothing nowdays as the market and fashion has changed (lighter colours, minamilst and increase of people living in rabbit hutches).  I'm sure the top end stuff destined for yatches and mansions of super rich still commands top end prices though.

2 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Backlog plus massive demand I reckon -  all those working from home, multinational companies alone must be draining 100,000's from the supply chain. I spoke to small IT supplier, said just couldn't get any stock, all of it either going to the US or the likes of PC world with an MOQ of 1,000. Pretty much the same story for small chain hardware stores, supplying routed to large stores and they are being left with big holes on their shelves, subtly hidden by overloading with more stock from the back room onto the retail part but still very noticeable when you look.

Air parcel cost has rocketed 3-4x - so not the hold space to piggyback off so anything low value / non essential will go slow boat, but still means actual transportation capacity has been cut back by the loss of those passenger flights.

Pretty concerning that demand stays the same but supply on the ground falters.

Not quite the tech bits but was in TK maxx in August and was shocked by the lack of utensils.  In the past wherever I popped in it seemed swamped with stuff falling all over the place crammed into shelves.

Was looking for a few things in particular a basic pizza tray and plastic collander that I missed using that was always there in the past etc.  There really wasn't much... Have been meaning to go again just to actually observe if the situation the same, a kind of bellweather of sorts.  Items had been spread out to create illusion of stock but even that was a struggle to pull off.

15 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Heard on the grapevine from some old colleagues that there are corporate infrastructure projects being delayed due to excessive lead times on hardware - things like racks, servers, Cisco switches/routers, firewalls, all the general data centre stuff.

Meanwhile I have been toying with the idea of buying my first motorcycle.