DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Lol, I bought a new oven from ao.com. It cost £230. They phoned me up and tried to sell me a warranty at £5.49 a month.... who buys such a warranty? There must be a lot of fools departing with their money...

They also said they would remove my old oven for free - when I bought the new stove they wanted £20 to take away the old one.

It was a nice british made stove I bought :) from a company called "stoves".

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I bought a new middle-of-the-range washing machine from ao.com a couple of years ago, and received a similar call. They were sneaky about it - the call began as a customer satisfaction check - "W

I’m not learning much about extended warranties here guys. 

Just had my 2 year extended warranty letter from AO. As I recall it was letter within days of install of the washing machine, then 1 month, 3 months, 6 months and then every 6 months until the latest

Posted Images

I bought a new middle-of-the-range washing machine from ao.com a couple of years ago, and received a similar call.

They were sneaky about it - the call began as a customer satisfaction check - "Was everything with your order OK?"etc. and then finally, an extended warranty was offered.

I pointed out that the total of the premiums would enable me to buy a new washing machine every 5 years, so the machine would have to be broken beyond repair in under 5 years for it to make financial sense (for me) to take out the warranty.

They persevered with their sales speech until I said something like this:

"Are you telling me that you think the washing machine you have just sold to me, won't even last for 5 years?  If so, why are you selling such poor quality goods?  That makes think I shouldn't buy anything else from you ever again."

I was then assured my washing machine would probably be fine, (with which I agreed), and the call ended politely.

For the policy holder, insurance only makes sense for events that have a very low probability of happening which also have a very high cost of resolution.

Extended warranties should be outlawed. 

Any consumer worth their salt knows that a company may offer a 12 month warranty but under consumer law a product should last a period of time any reasonable person would expect.

Once a product gets into the hundreds of pounds any reasonable person would expect it to last five years.

Its forcing them to uphold their responsibilities is the tricky bit.

33 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Lol, I bought a new oven from ao.com. It cost £230. They phoned me up and tried to sell me a warranty at £5.49 a month.... who buys such a warranty? There must be a lot of fools departing with their money...

They also said they would remove my old oven for free - when I bought the new stove they wanted £20 to take away the old one.

It was a nice british made stove I bought :) from a company called "stoves".

That's a stupid price for an extended quarantee, you'd have to be daft.

But sensibly priced extended guarantees aren't a bad idea on some items IMO.

I get them on anything involving hot water apart from a kettle, which is less susceptible to calcium deposits - so coffee machines, irons, stuff like that.

Saved a packet on both the coffee machine and the iron so far - both packed up just after the "normal" 2-year guarantee ran out, one might almost think they had been designed to do just that. 9_9

Coffee machine repaired twice, still going now after 5-6 years (this is a miracle in the hands of my wife, the destroyer of worlds all machinery) - iron was replaced with a new one.

There used to be a tax scam where white goods were sold at a loss* and the profit came from an extended warranty given by an offshore company.

* Big discount given if the extended warranty was taken.

Some consumers got wise to it and took the extended warranty to get the discount. As soon as the goods were delivered, they would (legally) cancel the warranty.

52 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

That warranty might be worth the money Adolf - once you start filling your new oven with non-Aryan types 24/7...

XYY

1 hour ago, Lipid said:

I bought a new middle-of-the-range washing machine from ao.com a couple of years ago, and received a similar call.

They were sneaky about it - the call began as a customer satisfaction check - "Was everything with your order OK?"etc. and then finally, an extended warranty was offered.

I pointed out that the total of the premiums would enable me to buy a new washing machine every 5 years, so the machine would have to be broken beyond repair in under 5 years for it to make financial sense (for me) to take out the warranty.

"Are you telling me that you think the washing machine you have just sold to me, won't even last for 5 years?  If so, why are you selling such poor quality goods?  That makes think I shouldn't buy anything else from you ever again."

I was then assured my washing machine would probably be fine, (with which I agreed), and the call ended politely.

For the policy holder, insurance only makes sense for events that have a very low probability of happening which also have a very high cost of resolution.

£5.49 p/m?  That's cheap compared when I've had letters from Domestic & General looking for £13 a month...

If you get 5 years out of a typical washing machine you buy today, you're doing very well (unless its an LG / Samsung / Miele / AEG).  Buy a Beko / Hoover / Indesit - three years and you're done.  The build quality isn't good.  Beyond the year's warranty is the infamous call out - £100+ then parts and labour.  You're nearly there for another machine.

The manufacturers warranty gives you up to 28 days for a repair - there's no rush from them.  Some suppliers are better than others.  From experience, Samsung customer service is terrible.  The goods are good, but the aftercare, is well...

Last year, I had a Samsung Fridge Freezer written off, with a month left of its extended warranty left (cost me £55 for five years (for the above reason)).  Got a voucher for four hundred odd quid within seven days, and got a new one - i'd also gone through four freezer drawers within those five years as well - which are normally priced at around seventy quid each, for "free".  That F/F effectively cost me £55 for the five years of use.   

You pay your money, and you take your choice.

Edited by Dave Beans
1 hour ago, Lipid said:

That's the best way to deal with them!

32 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Not at all. I just take the piss out of everything.

And cunts like you make this task so much easier...

XYY

Yeah sorry, I take that back. Your two hobbies are posting shit here and sucking cock on hartlepool sea front. If you got a smart phone you could do both at the same time?

Just now, Great Guy said:

Yeah sorry, I take that back. Your two hobbies are posting shit here and sucking cock on hartlepool sea front. If you got a smart phone you could do both at the same time?

You're sorry alright.

The most sorry and pathetic arse-bandit on this entire forum...

XYY

Just had my 2 year extended warranty letter from AO. As I recall it was letter within days of install of the washing machine, then 1 month, 3 months, 6 months and then every 6 months until the latest this week (interspersed with letters direct from Hoover). Nearly saved enough for my new washing machine by not buying either, and it is working fine.

By putting this in writing I fully expect it to go FUBAR in the next few days.

8 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Is she the one that preferred having a paedophile look after her kids than you?

No, that was my late first wife - the victim of the paedophile in question.

And I'd expect a bit more sympathy for her from the likes of you - knowing how many of your uncles bummed the fuck out of you every day for twenty-odd years...

XYY

2 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

No, that was my late first wife - the victim of the paedophile in question.

And I'd expect a bit more sympathy for her from the likes of you - knowing how many of your uncles bummed the fuck out of you every day for twenty-odd years...

XYY

She certainly had you sussed out.