• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
SpectrumFX

The Unfortunate Fallout of Campus Postmodernism

If this article is right, them things are worse than I thought in American universities.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-unfortunate-fallout-of-campus-postmodernism/

One underlying cause of this troubling situation may be found in what happened at Evergreen State College in Olympia, Wash., in May, when biologist and self-identified “deeply progressive” professor Bret Weinstein refused to participate in a “Day of Absence” in which “white students, staff and faculty will be invited to leave the campus for the day's activities.” Weinstein objected, writing in an e-mail: “on a college campus, one's right to speak—or to be—must never be based on skin color.” In response, an angry mob of 50 students disrupted his biology class, surrounded him, called him a racist and insisted that he resign. He claims that campus police informed him that the college president told them to stand down, but he has been forced to stay off campus for his safety's sake.

Lunacy backed by angry mobs; what a marvellous seat of learning.

I don't know much about US universities but I hope that the position is similar to that in UK ones with a mental and unrepresentative loony fringe in the NUS occasionally getting press coverage but studiously ignored by the vast majority of undergrads.

31 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

If this article is right, them things are worse than I thought in American universities.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-unfortunate-fallout-of-campus-postmodernism/

One underlying cause of this troubling situation may be found in what happened at Evergreen State College in Olympia, Wash., in May, when biologist and self-identified “deeply progressive” professor Bret Weinstein refused to participate in a “Day of Absence” in which “white students, staff and faculty will be invited to leave the campus for the day's activities.” Weinstein objected, writing in an e-mail: “on a college campus, one's right to speak—or to be—must never be based on skin color.” In response, an angry mob of 50 students disrupted his biology class, surrounded him, called him a racist and insisted that he resign. He claims that campus police informed him that the college president told them to stand down, but he has been forced to stay off campus for his safety's sake.

This is insane 'Day of absence' for white people. The whole thing is getting so messed up. Then there is the whole mob mentality of violence, or forcing people to resign, or forcing the institution to sack individuals, the left has become more and more sinister over the years in the west

I'm not sure why but this made me think of British Leyland.  Take two highly successful car companies built up by and run by driven geniuses; nationalise them and so steadily destroy them.

The thought process (if that's not overstating it) is that things like universities and companies have an independent existence rather than being dependent upon the people who founded and run them so that if you take them over then the benefits of them will keep rolling but accrue to you instead.

38 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I don't know much about US universities but I hope that the position is similar to that in UK ones with a mental and unrepresentative loony fringe in the NUS occasionally getting press coverage but studiously ignored by the vast majority of undergrads.

There should be sufficient market discipline remaining in the US college system. I think they'll have done a sharp and public about face in the next five years or have gone bankrupt. Would you allow pay an astronomical amount for your kids to go there?

Edited by Hail the Tripod

37 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

How about a day of absence by white people and they also take away everything that they have built and paid for?

Shows how divisive this shit is. Would you ever have thought, let alone written, such a thing under "normal" circumstances?

3 minutes ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

No sympathy for the staff at Evergreen college. They only reaped what they sowed. The place was a notorious PC nuthouse before this kicked off.

The problem is once they destroy this college the faculty will find new roles in other universities and start repeating the same shit. It needs just a few colleges to simply put their foot down say no more of that shit and offer rigorous intellectual debate. They'll become the gold standard. These bad ideas can only thrive where there is no alternative, which is why they react with such fury to anyone offering an alternate vision.

We are currently sifting through the first offers my son is receiving from US Universities for next year.

Low Snowflake quotient seems to be very high on the list of selection criteria for him. Think we have ruled out anywhere in California!

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

What happens in the US usually turns up in the UK next.

39 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

The problem is once they destroy this college the faculty will find new roles in other universities and start repeating the same shit. It needs just a few colleges to simply put their foot down say no more of that shit and offer rigorous intellectual debate. They'll become the gold standard. These bad ideas can only thrive where there is no alternative, which is why they react with such fury to anyone offering an alternate vision.

Unless an institution is explicitly conservative in nature (preferably with a written constitution) then it will eventually be infiltrated and undermined by the left. There are countless examples: charities, churches, schools, universities, councils, newspapers, TV stations, businesses and industry bodies.

Speech codes, safe spaces and the persecution of transgressors are a dead giveaway that the institution you are part of has been taken over. The book 'SJWs Always Lie' by Vox Day goes into detail about how this stuff occurs. 

I've been contacted by Evergreen to work on slogans for their new freshman brochure. So far I have:

'Are you white? Do you want to be shouted at by entitled, racist black students for being racist? Come to Evergreen.'

or

'Have people said 'yes' to you your entire life? Are you hugely privileged, but also able to maintain a massive chip on your shoulder? Come to Evergreen.'

They also want something snappy and in Latin, so I've gone with:

'Docemus insaniam'

The fucking wheels are falling off. This shit is going to get ugly fast - somehow I think within the next 12-18 months we're going to see this play out into some sort of civil war, world war or whatever. I also have no doubt that it's entirely deliberate. You only have to look at the US election to see that - there's no way they ended up with the two most divisive candidates in history by accident; the aim was to divide, force people to identify, and set them against one another.

The only thing I don't understand is why or what the end goal is, but I guess we'll find out in time.

The thing is, most of these people shouldn't even be at University. University has become a sort of warehouse to store useless and spare people for a while due to the lack of anything else to do with them. They don't know why they are there, or what they are supposed to be doing, and so we get this sort of shit out of peoples' plain boredom. In fact we get a lot of shit out of peoples' plain boredom. If I was Bret Weintsein I'd have taken a white man's day off a lot sooner. In fact I did, and every day since.

Edited by Hopeful

1 hour ago, Cunning Plan said:

We are currently sifting through the first offers my son is receiving from US Universities for next year.

Low Snowflake quotient seems to be very high on the list of selection criteria for him. Think we have ruled out anywhere in California!

Have you ruled out Stanford ?

42 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

The fucking wheels are falling off. This shit is going to get ugly fast - somehow I think within the next 12-18 months we're going to see this play out into some sort of civil war, world war or whatever. I also have no doubt that it's entirely deliberate. You only have to look at the US election to see that - there's no way they ended up with the two most divisive candidates in history by accident; the aim was to divide, force people to identify, and set them against one another.

The only thing I don't understand is why or what the end goal is, but I guess we'll find out in time.

I don't think anyone is really in control. I don't think there is an overall goal. It's just the result of the fragmentation of society and the competing factions fighting it out for what's left over. It would be far less scary if someone was secretly controlling everything from behind a curtain.