DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Ballet dancing hackers

There seems to be a load of fuss about an advert which suggests that ballet dancer might get a job at GCHQ.

I just don't understand the fuss.  A ballet dancer is an excellent example for this sort of thing -- they've got a short career, and by the time they're 30 will be burnt out anyway and will need a new job.  That job might as well be as a computer geek for GCHQ. 

People seem to be suggesting that it is insulting to suggest that the poor ballet dancer might have to give up their career in ballet when they reach 30.  I'd suggest that those people must never have met a ballet dancer.

[I think it is a stupid advert, but that's just because they spend so much time trying to get people who aren't interested in computers and spy shit, to get involved in computer spy shit.  IMO they should just put out a few weird web pages with a bit of encrypted text embedded in the HTML, where if you decrypt it you get a special recruitment number.]

[I read quite a few web pages recently where there's a bit of text at the bottom of the html (in paintext) where they say 'if you're reading this then you're the type of person we want -- give us a ring']

25 minutes ago, dgul said:

There seems to be a load of fuss about an advert which suggests that ballet dancer might get a job at GCHQ.

I just don't understand the fuss.  A ballet dancer is an excellent example for this sort of thing -- they've got a short career, and by the time they're 30 will be burnt out anyway and will need a new job.  That job might as well be as a computer geek for GCHQ. 

People seem to be suggesting that it is insulting to suggest that the poor ballet dancer might have to give up their career in ballet when they reach 30.  I'd suggest that those people must never have met a ballet dancer.

[I think it is a stupid advert, but that's just because they spend so much time trying to get people who aren't interested in computers and spy shit, to get involved in computer spy shit.  IMO they should just put out a few weird web pages with a bit of encrypted text embedded in the HTML, where if you decrypt it you get a special recruitment number.]

[I read quite a few web pages recently where there's a bit of text at the bottom of the html (in paintext) where they say 'if you're reading this then you're the type of person we want -- give us a ring']

Oh is that what the GCHQ as was about! I assumed that 'cyber' was short form for 'cyber sex' and that all ballet dancers would be forced to turn to something cam-girl-esque as a result of the arts being wiped out by Covid. 

53 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

It was widely interpreted on social media as targeted at all the people who'd pursued careers in the arts, and now found themselves utterly fucked by the government's enforced closure of the entertainment industry. 

IMG_20201012_205618.jpg

Because sadly, that's how people chose or wanted to interpret it because they wanted to be 'offended' and to be able to shout 'look at me, I'm offended'.

(It could obviously, be interpreted in that way)

The interpretation for anyone normal was that nobody knows what twists and turns their career may take and often people are reluctant to change direction, but once they have changed direction they may find they enjoy the new job,  and 'cyber' could be very rewarding even if your prevous career is unconnected.

Edited by Hopeful
2 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Because sadly, that's how people chose or wanted to interpret it because they wanted to be 'offended' and to be able to shout 'look at me, I'm offended'.

(It could obviously, be interpreted in that way)

The interpretation for anyone normal was that nobody knows what twists and turns their career may take and often people are reluctant to change direction, but once they have changed direction they may find they enjoy the new job,  and 'cyber' could be very rewarding even if your prevous career is unconnected.

Indeed. They've had the ultimate price signal of no money at all, which is definitely a signal to stop what you're doing and do something else.

I don't expect them to like it though. I wanted to play guitar for a living and am still somewhat disappointed 20 years later to find myself doing something else.

xD

7 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

Indeed. They've had the ultimate price signal of no money at all, which is definitely a signal to stop what you're doing and do something else.

I don't expect them to like it though. I wanted to play guitar for a living and am still somewhat disappointed 20 years later to find myself doing something else.

xD

Life's all about adapting to change,

Taking everything in your stride, not letting anything get to you, always moving on, and hopefully, forwards.

1 hour ago, The Generation Game said:

That's what makes the last 6 months such a bitch

In a word xD

I can't fekking travel anywhere

Right now, it's caused me to lose all momentum on a successful project I'd been working on for 10 years, a lifestyle I'd planned, and all income. Hopefully, I'll reinvent myself, working on it, although I don't have many good ideas yet.... I'm certainly not banking on or waiting upon 2019 returning.

Edited by Hopeful

laughable to suggest that those working in the entertainment industry didn't do regular jobs. 

i know dancers that worked regularly on big west end shows, as well as stage crew.  Between contracts they worked in bars, restaurants, gyms, coffee shops, hair dressers and any other min wage job.  Maybe the government is suggesting that the go do those jobs, whilst the theaters are shut.

2 hours ago, SpectrumFX said:

It was widely interpreted on social media as targeted at all the people who'd pursued careers in the arts, and now found themselves utterly fucked by the government's enforced closure of the entertainment industry. 

IMG_20201012_205618.jpg

Everyone's fucked*.  But it is typical of the arts crowd to think they've been singled out.

[* including government/council workers -- just that it'll take a few years to work through for them]

15 minutes ago, dgul said:

Everyone's fucked*.  But it is typical of the arts crowd to think they've been singled out.

[* including government/council workers -- just that it'll take a few years to work through for them]

I take my hat off to the "arts" crowd for their sheer lobbying power for public money over the last 20 years. The public funding they've achieved and the monopoly they have upon how the money is spent, and the lack of oversight, is something to behold. You have to admire them.

I once had an idea for something for the 4th Plinth in Trafalgar square. I had an internationally recognised sculptor who would create the piece.

There is, of course, a 4th Plinth committee

Unfortunatley, the committee hold that you can only have a valid artistic idea if you are already a recognised artist; so a scientist can't.

You also cannot volunteer an idea, the committee does not accept uninvited proposals, you can only be invited to submit a proposal.

In otherwords, a cabal

My idea mght have been duff, but we'll never know. And what if it had been good....

Edited by Hopeful
39 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

I take my hat off to the "arts" crowd for their sheer lobbying power for public money over the last 20 years. The public funding they've achieved and the monopoly they have upon how the money is spent, and the lack of oversight, is something to behold. You have to admire them.

I once had an idea for something for the 4th Plinth in Trafalgar square. I had an internationally recognised sculptor who would create the piece.

There is, of course, a 4th Plinth committee

Unfortunatley, the committee hold that you can only have a valid artistic idea if you are already a recognised artist; so a scientist can't.

You also cannot volunteer an idea, the committee does not accept uninvited proposals, you can only be invited to submit a proposal.

In otherwords, a cabal

My idea mght have been duff, but we'll never know. And what if it had been good....

I want to put up another statue of Nelson.

Why is they always pick programming as the go-to retrainer job, reality is that if you pick from a random population sample probably less that 1% of people could do it. Its not just an IQ issue, I mean you have be like top 10% or so (like I'm pretty sure all dosbodders would be) but of those only 1 or 2 in 10 think the right way and have a high enough shit eating capacity (from people and the computers).

Edited by goldbug9999
35 minutes ago, goldbug9999 said:

Why is they always pick programming as the go-to retrainer job, reality is that if you pick from a random population sample probably less that 1% of people could do it. Its not just an IQ issue, I mean you have be like top 10% or so (like I'm pretty sure all dosbodders would be) but of those only 1 or 2 in 10 think the right way and have a high enough shit eating capacity (from people and the computers).

1. Make a load of entertainment workers redundant.
  2. Advise them to retrain in "cyber".
  3.  ???
  4.  Profit!

:D

5 hours ago, Lightly Toasted said:
  1. Make a load of entertainment workers redundant.
  2. Advise them to retrain in "cyber".
  3.  ???
  4.  Profit!

:D

Over the years I've seen several of the big global tech training course providers targeting "civilians" with £5k week long courses that will never lead to them getting a job in a million years.

Having the redundancy money off them appears to be a good one.

God , the government put people off working in IT for life. I'm still recovering emotionally from flashbacks to school IT lessons, learning redundant Excel formulae.

If you work in the Arts part of the public sector now you're probably used to slow, unworkable computers running Windows 98 and freezing every 5 minutes. No way will anyone want to tolerate that all day every day (in their mind). Keep the public sector out of computers for fuck sake.

10 hours ago, MrPin said:

Isn't the issue that somebody's photo was used in an advert without permission?

They're painting that.

In reality:  a photographer took a photo of a girl in ballet clothes.  Payment for model isn't clear, but she was aware of the photo being taken/existing.  Photographer put it up on some 'use my photo for payment' sites, and gov paid for its use.  There wasn't any restriction in the T&Cs.  Gov then used it in a way that has caused 'controversy' and photographer gets all 'I'm so upset that they've misused it'.  

It is just the usual anti-anything-government folk coming out to play.  There's no substance to it.

2 minutes ago, dgul said:

They're painting that.

In reality:  a photographer took a photo of a girl in ballet clothes.  Payment for model isn't clear, but she was aware of the photo being taken/existing.  Photographer put it up on some 'use my photo for payment' sites, and gov paid for its use.  There wasn't any restriction in the T&Cs.  Gov then used it in a way that has caused 'controversy' and photographer gets all 'I'm so upset that they've misused it'.  

It is just the usual anti-anything-government folk coming out to play.  There's no substance to it.

I have had some of my photographs used on web sites. Politely, I was specifically asked if this was OK. No money in it, as long as the photo is credited to me.