DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Well they are causing chaos digging every street up they are putting fibre optic cables in I think.now I’ve had a quick look at their website the question is will they be has fast has virgin or is it just bullshit . Am I reading that correct a one off payment is 650 for life .? That might tempt me virgin is 42 a month but it’s fast and reliable only broke once in 8 years

22BA4766-1BEA-4DDF-8BE5-E6719A36720C.png

F1881FAF-05F2-4B60-AD8B-824B26ED73E5.png

2 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Well they are causing chaos digging every street up they are putting fibre optic cables in I think.now I’ve had a quick look at their website the question is will they be has fast has virgin or is it just bullshit . Am I reading that correct a one off payment is 650 for life .? That might tempt me virgin is 42 a month but it’s fast and reliable only broke once in 8 years

I'd be wary of stumpping up anything but a monthly sub. Cable companies have a habit of going bust. Virgin used to be NTL which went bust and NTL used to be Diamond Cable which went bust.

6 minutes ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

They're charging the £650 + £49 for installation only. You can pay that either monthly or as a one off.

Then separately you can subscribe for broadband with them, for a monthly fee.

This.

It pretty much says in the advert..  set-up is £650,  then it's £40 a month after the initial teaser rate.

Sounds like daylight robbery to me,   but then I'm a cheap skate with an unfashionably slow internet connection.

19 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

I think they are useless fucktards.

They appear to be offering 2 year contract as a cheaper, all - in one pay,ent.

11 minutes ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

They're charging the £650 + £49 for installation only. You can pay that either monthly or as a one off.

Then separately you can subscribe for broadband with them, for a monthly fee.

This.

The monthly equivalent is £9.99 a month, so it is 5 years of subs to get to the one-off payment.

This is probably not a good deal, given that they'll likely go bust.

I'd also ask if the one-off payment perks can be transferred on sale of the house (or for any other reason).  If if can't it's definitely not an easy investment.

2 hours ago, MrPin said:

Cable was the "future" once. I just use a dongle from the phone network. It can move around with me.

Dick Brown destroyed C&W when he was CEO. He then went on to repeat the trick at EDS. His CV was full of big companies that crashed and burned on his watch.

Edited by Virgil Caine
1 hour ago, Libspero said:

Do people really pay £500 quid a year for internet ? O.o

I presume with fibre you can ditch the phoneline and associated line rental..   but still..  seems quite expensive.

Think I'll just wait for 5G.

I do, roughly. £46.06 a month for BT fibre broadband and phone line (you HAVE to have a phone line with BT). BT aren't the cheapest but they are one of the few who offer FTTP (fibre to the premises) since hardly anyone has access to it (less than 5% of the UK). FTTC was just a 'it'll do for now' approach which will come back to bite the UK's infrastructure in the arse during the next decade.

3 hours ago, Libspero said:

Do people really pay £500 quid a year for internet ? O.o

I presume with fibre you can ditch the phoneline and associated line rental..   but still..  seems quite expensive.

Think I'll just wait for 5G.

I did.

MY original BT contract crept up over ~10 years.

I think it got to ~60/m then I gave up ringing for discounts and just cancelled it for plusnet, who are BT (non brand).

I think Im on ~24/m