DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

https://www.theoldhamtimes.co.uk/news/18800393.residents-ordered-leave-unsafe-oldham-apartment-block-fire-chiefs/

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) has served occupants of six-storey The Victory complex on Union Street with a prohibition notice which says they must leave their homes by 1pm on November 2.

It goes on: "This is because there is a risk of the spread of fire on the premises which is posed by significant defects to fire doors, holes in fire resisting construction and defective fire warning and smoke ventilation system.

Sums up the UK in 2020 pretty well. Developer throws up dangerously shit flats and walks away, management company happy to collect the monthly maintenance fee but can't be arsed to keep the building safe, BTLers happy to collect the rent but can't be arsed to manage the management company, the private renters who are the poor cunts paying for all this are living in a dangerous building and heading for homelessness. Great stuff.

Sounds like the problem is mainly a faulty fire alarm or feral kids setting it off.

The fire brigade basically got fed up of going to “hoax” call-outs and the residents simply stopped bothering to leave the building when a fire alarm sounded.    Which reminds me of my own university days..  but I digress..

So they threw in a few other complaints about the general state of the building and condemned it..  probably just hoping it would prompt the owners to fix the **** alarm or the parents to sort their kids out.

3 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Sounds like the problem is mainly a faulty fire alarm or feral kids setting it off.

The fire brigade basically got fed up of going to “hoax” call-outs and the residents simply stopped bothering to leave the building when a fire alarm sounded.    Which reminds me of my own university days..  but I digress..

So they threw in a few other complaints about the general state of the building and condemned it..  probably just hoping it would prompt the owners to fix the **** alarm or the parents to sort their kids out.

There's no mention of feral kids, where are you getting that from?

New smoke/carbon dioxide and heat sensor regulations in Scotland from Feb 2021.

The local MSP is whining about this and calling for it to be delayed until 2022 because of pandemic and many people only finding out recently due to a gov leaflet campaign.

To be honest I’m pissed off about the new regs. I’m ok with the smoke detector in hall and carbon monoxide detector where gas boiler is in my small 2 bed home. Alarms will have to be linked and I’ll need another smoke alarm in living room plus a heat detector in kitchen. Can’t see the benefit in my small home and angry about the expense of it. 

https://www.gov.scot/news/new-fire-safety-standards-for-scottish-homes/

10 minutes ago, Darude said:

Sums up the UK in 2020 pretty well. Developer throws up dangerously shit flats and walks away, management company happy to collect the monthly maintenance fee but can't be arsed to keep the building safe, BTLers happy to collect the rent but can't be arsed to manage the management company, the private renters who are the poor cunts paying for all this are living in a dangerous building and heading for homelessness. Great stuff.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/up-15m-homes-unmortgageable-over-22714260

18 minutes ago, Darude said:

There's no mention of feral kids, where are you getting that from?

The article says the fire department kept getting called out to "non-fires" and residents had stopped responding to the alarm.

It doesn't say it was kids,  it doesn't say it wasn't..  so I suggested it was either that or a faulty alarm.

I can't think of any other reason it would keep going off for no reason..  maybe someone smoking in a corridor?  Who knows.

Edited by Libspero
4 minutes ago, Libspero said:

It doesn't say it was kids,  it doesn't say it wasn't..  so I suggested it was either that or a faulty alarm.

The Greater Manchester fire department said in a letter to residents that the building has a "defective fire warning and smoke ventilation system". Not sure why you felt the need to invent feral kids.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Most of that is why Grenfell happened so it's very sensible.
Move or risk being burnt to death.
I would move.

I'm surprised that you hold this view. On the balance of risk, the most traumatic and dangerous event is moving a large number of people out of their homes. They could appoint a fire watch as a temporary measure until remedial action has been taken, or allow residents to move in their own time over some months. Everyone in Grenfell would have survived if they'd just got out rather than obeying official instructions to stay inside. In Japan, the area around Fukishima was evacuated. It is estimated that the radiation released has killed no-one, but the evacuation was responsible for the deaths of quite a few people, especially the elderly and infirm.

26 minutes ago, Darude said:

The Greater Manchester fire department said in a letter to residents that the building has a "defective fire warning and smoke ventilation system". Not sure why you felt the need to invent feral kids.

I guess I just leave all possibilities open until they are ruled out.

I have raised feral kids or people smoking in public areas as other possible reasons the alarm might have been tripping.

If you (or anyone else) know otherwise then I will be happy to stop speculating on the reason for it.

Edited by Libspero
7 minutes ago, Nippy said:

I'm surprised that you hold this view. On the balance of risk, the most traumatic and dangerous event is moving a large number of people out of their homes. They could appoint a fire watch as a temporary measure until remedial action has been taken, or allow residents to move in their own time over some months. Everyone in Grenfell would have survived if they'd just got out rather than obeying official instructions to stay inside. In Japan, the area around Fukishima was evacuated. It is estimated that the radiation released has killed no-one, but the evacuation was responsible for the deaths of quite a few people, especially the elderly and infirm.

You're running many things together there.

The "stay" instruction is, in general, the best advice.  There have been several "Grenfells" in the middle east with no loss of life.

Grenfell's problem was the external insulation, the propping open of fire doors, and the breaching of the sealed individual units through incompetent gas pipe work.

Fire watch costs a fortune.

They move out.

The faults are fixed.

They move back in.

2 hours ago, Darude said:

I think it was offices concerted into flats.