DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Anyone know anything about glazing?

Had a few too many beers and locked myself out last night... Had to smash through the door window to get to the lock. emergency glazer wants 200 quid to fix it tomorrow, it's single pane. 

Is this something I can do myself easily? 

Window is about 65cm X 30cm, wood door... It was cracked anyway so needed doing. 

IMG-20201017-WA0007.jpeg

16029399614876146528095137671244.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Emergency. Sunday.  Why it’s 200 quid.     get local glazier/handyman to do it when they are free.  Meanwhile nail a bit of ply into the hole.  

It's an easy job. Clean out all the old putty, find the old pins and pull them out with pincers. Grab a tack hammer and stick a few pins in your gob, offer up the glass, stick a pin in the top to

The only thing I have to add is that if you are doing it on a really cold, like freezing, day, put the glass in a warmish room for a why before you try to fit it. Glass us really brittle when it's fre

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, spunko said:

Had a few too many beers and locked myself out last night... Had to smash through the door window to get to the lock. emergency glazer wants 200 quid to fix it tomorrow, it's single pane. 

Window is about 65cm X 30cm, wood door... It was cracked anyway so needed doing. 

IMG-20201017-WA0007.jpeg

Emergency. Sunday.  Why it’s 200 quid.  

get local glazier/handyman to do it when they are free.  Meanwhile nail a bit of ply into the hole.  

6 minutes ago, spunko said:

IMG-20201017-WA0007.jpeg

That's great practice for when you get your full pikey licence. The fact the neighbours didn't call the plod is impressive, or maybe they don't like you?

Lucky you don't live in a cathedral, as that leadwork really costs.

It's not an emergency, and it should only cost £100.

17 minutes ago, MrPin said:

That's great practice for when you get your full pikey licence. The fact the neighbours didn't call the plod is impressive, or maybe they don't like you?

Lucky you don't live in a cathedral, as that leadwork really costs.

It's not an emergency, and it should only cost £100.

It looks pretty easy, the only hard part is holding the glass up I reckon. I've bought one of those sucker things and a replacement pane cut to size for 28 quid delivered. Will report back how it goes.

Just now, spunko said:

It looks pretty easy, the only hard part is holding the glass up I reckon. I've bought one of those sucker things and a replacement pane cut to size for 28 quid delivered. Will report back how it goes.

You need to pin it in place. Don’t rely on putty to hold it in.  Getting the putty to look halfway decent is the biggest challenge. 

Just now, spunko said:

Haven't you got any mates to help out. Please don't say NO.

It's an easy job.

Clean out all the old putty, find the old pins and pull them out with pincers. Grab a tack hammer and stick a few pins in your gob, offer up the glass, stick a pin in the top to stop it coming out, put the rest of the pins in at your leisure.

Tips: The pins need to go about three quarters in. Hold the tack hammer against the glass and slide along the glass to hammer them in. If you don't do this you risk breaking the glass.

Work the putty well in your hands to get an even consistency that isn't particularly sticky. Thumb it into place and use a filling knife dipped frequently into water to smooth it out.

Strategically placed swarfega is recommended for cleaning your hands afterwards.

Edit: forgot to say, you need a thin layer of putty on the inside to bed the glass on.

Edited by NTB
1 hour ago, spunko said:

Yes, tools are a pin hammer and a putty knife. Wear gloves to handle the new pane and don't hit the edge of it on anything or it might break.

Edited by Panther
1 hour ago, Panther said:

Yes, tools are a pin hammer and a putty knife. Wear gloves to handle the new pane and don't hit the edge of it on anything or it might break.

Hammer might be alright for a professional. When I fixed a broken pane in a door (internal) I bloody well knew what would happen if I went near it with a hammer. I used a thing called a "pushpin" a sort of screwdriver-handle thing that pushes in the pin with no impact.

2 hours ago, spunko said:

Not cracking the new piece of glass with the hammer whilst you knock in the first couple of pins is one to be careful of. Been there, done that. :(

17 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Hammer might be alright for a professional. When I fixed a broken pane in a door (internal) I bloody well knew what would happen if I went near it with a hammer. I used a thing called a "pushpin" a sort of screwdriver-handle thing that pushes in the pin with no impact.

That sounds like the way to go.

It is a weird old world we live in.

It is an easy job.  Everyone knows how to do it.  So, everyone just does it themselves.  So, a handyman has to offer the job at a decent price.  Thus everyone gets a handyman to do it, because the £20 (say) they make is worth it given the effort.

Except that everyone has now used a handyman to do it.  No-one has the skills any longer.  Worse, no-one seems to realise that it is a skill they could develop, and 'needs' it to be done by someone else.  As it is a 'need', the handyman can price it higher.  So it costs £200.

During the next part of the cycle everyone will learn the skill again, and the handyman will go out of business (as wages are sticky) until a new generation of poorer people are prepared to do the job for £20 again.

And so it repeats.

3 hours ago, Mr Miyagi said:

I'd put a piece of safety glass in but you need to be really accurate on your measurements as you wont be able to cut it afterwards it will also take a day or two as it is made to order. 

Can I not just sand the wood down a bit if it's too big, that's what I was planning to do. 

5 hours ago, spunko said:

IMG-20201017-WA0007.jpeg

Honestly, it's a piece of piss to do. Clear out the old putty

Need glazing pins, a small hammer and for the linseed oil putty, the simplest tool is a broken table knife if you have one. The old sort that had a bone handle, they are more springy than the modern ones. Broken or cut off near the tip straight across to give a spade-like end. Gives you the right width and a clean edge against the glass.

This sort

d984499521c88d39fa1243c0e23098a1.jpg

Edited by Hopeful