DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Leicester Uni puts 3800 on notice of redundancy-here we go....

sancho panza

2 hours ago, gibbon said:

World-leading!!! xD

Sadly all of these unis will be classed as too big to fail and have billions more tax payer cash chucked at them.

I've nothing against Leicester - perfectly decent uni and it was even one of my five UCCA choices back in the day - but the whole sector is so bloated now that the weaker unis should be allowed to fail and be taken over by more successful unis.

This has actually happened in the Housing Association sector twice with two badly run associations losing their assets to better run HAs.

You can say the same for health trusts.  The Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Trust is, without exaggeration, incompetent so should be taken over by the Devon Trust.  Which isn't much better but is better.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, sancho panza said:

The listed impacted areas

• School of Arts

• School of Business

• School of informatics

• School of Mathematics and Actuarial Science

• Department of Neuroscience, Psychology and Behaviour

So, in the middle of a huge tech boom - yes, still, #despitecovid - they're expecting to cut the two departments most likely to attract students and funding? Wow, they must really have fucked up badly!

Chewing Grass

Its a trumped up Technical College come Ladies Art School that ponced itself up and took on a posh name.

Leicester Municipal Technical and Art School was formed in 1897, re-branded itself in 1929 as Leicester College of Arts and Crafts and the Leicester College of Technology, then decided it would be the City of Leicester Polytechnic in April 1969 and finally the master-stroke De Montfort University Leicester in 1992 coincidentally exactly one year after Student Loans Company was founded.

I shit-ye-not, the following is on their website, including the badly written English.

From working at Leicester City Football Club to working with major brands in Vietnam, DMU Works offers students exciting career opportunities in every year of your degree.

https://www.dmu.ac.uk/home.aspx

19 hours ago, sancho panza said:

Insider tells me they went balls deep building student accomodation and decided to exclude normal partnership options so they could get 100% of the upside.

WIki says only 3910 employees in 2018/19 so only the top dogs are exempt.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/job-cuts-loom-university-leicester-4612778

Wide-ranging job losses are likely at the University of Leicester under plans it has revealed this week.

The university has written to some 3,800 employees warning of potential compulsory redundancies as it seeks to ‘disinvest’ in some areas.

Vice-chancellor Professor Nishan Canagarajah has said the university’s new strategic plan is essential to secure its future as a ‘world-leading’ establishment.

The university has declined to say how many posts are at risk but in a letter to staff, seen by LeicestershireLive, Prof Canagarajah said: “With our centenary approaching and a new strategic plan underway this is the perfect moment to secure our second century.

“To compete on a global level we need to focus our efforts and build on our core strengths

“We can’t be excellent at everything.

“This means we need to make suitable investments in people and infrastructure to sustain and build on our position as a world-leading university.

“In order to do this we need to make some difficult decisions by disinvesting in certain areas of the university to sustain our areas of excellence and take advantage of emerging areas in research and education.”

The vice-chancellor said there had been significant changes in student demand for some courses with it growing in some areas but suffering long-term decline in others.

He added: “Some changes are now essential for our future success which may lead to compulsory redundancies.”

He said he and other senior figures had drawn up a list of affected areas where ‘we may need to refocus our activity, reduce what we are doing or cease our work completely.’

The listed impacted areas

• School of Arts

• School of Business

• School of informatics

• School of Mathematics and Actuarial Science

• Department of Neuroscience, Psychology and Behaviour

A ‘reshaping’ of various professional services is planned in

• Customer Services

• Doctoral College and PGR Administration

• Education Services

• Estates and DIgital Services

• Learning Services

• Research and Enterprise Administration

“I recognise this will be a difficult period for those colleagues involved in any future changes," he said.

"I do not underestimate the impact this will have on colleagues across the university.

“I am not doing this lightly.

“Taking action now will protect us from further larger changes in the future and will enable us to be in control of our own destiny.”

The vice-chancellor said he would work with trade unions and the student unions as the plans develop over the coming months.

Haha. Who are they trying to kid. Can't imagine why anyone would want to spend 4 years in Leicester. Considering what other places are on offer. Leicester is usually the place where people go when they fluff their A levels and its the only place that'll take them 😂😂

11 hours ago, One percent said:

I think the government will use this as an excuse to let a lot of them go to the wall.  Government have created a monster that needs to die for the future of the county

Somethings turned against education esp HE.

People are looking at the numbers going and looking tye low yield and thinking wtf?

Just now, spygirl said:

People are looking at the numbers going and looking tye low yield and thinking wtf?

Bloody hell. If they have only started looking, they all need to be sacked.  This has been building since the 1992 educashun act. 

2 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

Its a trumped up Technical College come Ladies Art School that ponced itself up and took on a posh name.

Leicester Municipal Technical and Art School was formed in 1897, re-branded itself in 1929 as Leicester College of Arts and Crafts and the Leicester College of Technology, then decided it would be the City of Leicester Polytechnic in April 1969 and finally the master-stroke De Montfort University Leicester in 1992 coincidentally exactly one year after Student Loans Company was founded.

I shit-ye-not, the following is on their website, including the badly written English.

From working at Leicester City Football Club to working with major brands in Vietnam, DMU Works offers students exciting career opportunities in every year of your degree.

https://www.dmu.ac.uk/home.aspx

Wrong place.

Leicester Uni predates redbricks.

DMU is still running as on the wierd freeview channels.

My last foray in the world of working for a living was in Cardiff University and part of a very lengthy introduction lecture for all new staff (cleaners to lecturers) was that Cardifff was a "world class" university.  I bet they all say that now.

All my various jobs enabled me to  poke my nose into various businesses/charities/university etc etc so I was well-placed to compare working practices etc.  I remember having a conversation with one lecturer about how much space they all had ie their own room (many had been there since 70s I think) compared with their equivalent in most industries/businesses who would have a desk in an open-plan office.  I can confirm many were clinging to secretaries to preserve their status.

Compared with my days as an undergraduate (and postgraduate) there was a lot more monitoring of students.  The whole sector is bloated and well due for some judicious pruning I would think.

23 hours ago, spygirl said:

4000 staff and 18,000 students..ave salary £47k plus pension.............the hsitroy students will only be getting 7 horus a week lectures.

Massively overstaffed imho.

3 hours ago, janch said:

My last foray in the world of working for a living was in Cardiff University and part of a very lengthy introduction lecture for all new staff (cleaners to lecturers) was that Cardifff was a "world class" university.  I bet they all say that now.

All my various jobs enabled me to  poke my nose into various businesses/charities/university etc etc so I was well-placed to compare working practices etc.  I remember having a conversation with one lecturer about how much space they all had ie their own room (many had been there since 70s I think) compared with their equivalent in most industries/businesses who would have a desk in an open-plan office.  I can confirm many were clinging to secretaries to preserve their status.

Compared with my days as an undergraduate (and postgraduate) there was a lot more monitoring of students.  The whole sector is bloated and well due for some judicious pruning I would think.

theyve been farming student loans for too long.

Top swiss uni's are charging UK students a fraction of what De Montfort is charging for a most likely,much less marketable degree.

10 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

theyve been farming student loans for too long.

Top swiss uni's are charging UK students a fraction of what De Montfort is charging for a most likely,much less marketable degree.

And yet many are in financial difficulties.  The bloat and number of non productive jobs is something to behold. 

1 hour ago, One percent said:

And yet many are in financial difficulties.  The bloat and number of non productive jobs is something to behold. 

When you do the basic maths of employees/students ratio,it really does look that way.Thoise numbers likely exclude the cleaners/restaurant staff who were probably farmed out years ago.

10 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

When you do the basic maths of employees/students ratio,it really does look that way.Thoise numbers likely exclude the cleaners/restaurant staff who were probably farmed out years ago.

I would look round at work at the majority of people and think, what exactly do you do?   

33 minutes ago, One percent said:

I would look round at work at the majority of people and think, what exactly do you do?   

Fuck all when I went to work and even

less now I don’t 

1 minute ago, stokiescum said:

I didn’t have that problem either normaly lol

I think I’ve been too much of a willing horse (read idiot). 

1 hour ago, One percent said:

I think I’ve been too much of a willing horse (read idiot). 

We are to promote independence some can’t were to nuts ie supervise .so it was a supervisery sort of job in the main .example walk around with some tit threatening to kill themselves all night .but to be fair when he went for it he realy did but we had to buy a new mircrowave after he grabbed the dish smashed it and gave himself 80 stitches in under 5 seconds lol

1 hour ago, stokiescum said:

We are to promote independence some can’t were to nuts ie supervise .so it was a supervisery sort of job in the main .example walk around with some tit threatening to kill themselves all night .but to be fair when he went for it he realy did but we had to buy a new mircrowave after he grabbed the dish smashed it and gave himself 80 stitches in under 5 seconds lol

yeah i dont like microwaves much either.

On 19/10/2020 at 23:47, leonardratso said:

yeah i dont like microwaves much either.

I just use it as a timer and to store non metallic things

On 17/10/2020 at 22:38, leonardratso said:

makes me larf when the top dogs are exempt - ie the none productive parts are protected -ensures the ultimate end.

Probably around £300-350k pa....and worth every penny I am sure!

On 17/10/2020 at 23:02, sancho panza said:

I find it intriguing that there's only 90 people in the whole uni not on notice.

genuinely wondering how brutal this might get.

They have announced it this way so its less obvious to those who will be for the `chop`, although from his `making us leaders in the field` speech its obvious....if you lecture Arts/Media you had better get used to eating Baked Beans like your students.

On 18/10/2020 at 06:53, One percent said:

I think the government will use this as an excuse to let a lot of them go to the wall.  Government have created a monster that needs to die for the future of the county

If that's the case what's their plan b for youth unemployment figures then, as the whole "Everyones right to go to university" was just a quick fix to resolve this issue.

Archived