DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Photography Buffs, What's This Effect/Filter?

HDR. High dynamic range. increases contrast and saturation, but intelligently so nothing gets too dark in shadows or burnt out in overexposed areas. Similar to what was achieved with film by 'dodging and blinding' during printing. Most noticeable on the first pic.

I'm tired of HDR actually. Every amateur posting landscapes and sunsets on facebook seems to set it on by default.

More sophisticated HDR combines mutiple images to get the 'best' contrast in every part of the picture.

Edited by Happy Renting
15 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

I did think that a few pints of beer produce the same effect without the need for a camera, but that’s not quite what I’m looking for.

Actually, beer has a different effect.

Back in the days when it was OK to have a liquid lunch on a workday, I noticed that emerging from a dark pub after a few, everything had a blue tinge. What I was seeing was the light at the true colour temperature outdoors in the middle of the day. It seems that while we normally unconciously adjust for daylight and artificial lighting, alcohol interfered with this compensation somehow.

In Wadworths, veritas.

Edited by Happy Renting
13 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

Actually, beer has a different effect.

Back in the days when it was OK to have a liquid lunch on a workday, I noticed that emerging from a dark pub after a few, everything had a blue tinge. What I was seeing was the light at the true colour temperature outdoors in the middle of the day. It seems that while we normally unconciously adjust for daylight and artificial lighting, alcohol interfered with this compensation somehow.

In Wadworths, veritas.

Is that what it is? Towns always look weird during a proper daytime session.

It's the Nik Collection/Colour Efex Pro/either Graduated Neutral Density or Contrast Color Range settings. Maybe both, stacked. Clients love it. But clients also think Impact and Comic Sans are great fonts.

Clients (and estate agents) rarely know what's best.

https://nikcollection.dxo.com/color-efex-pro/

No worries, that filter will get massively overused and fade from the Akashic Record soon enough. Just like Microsoft killed Pantone Process Blue.

Edited by Conniption
Print Geek