DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

GPS/QR Code/Google Maps based Web Page

Go to solution Solved by Nippy,

Question

I'm toying with the idea of a "message in the bottle"  type of vanity/fun project. The idea would be to have some sort of object that people could pick up in one location and deposit it in another, so we could see whereabouts in the world it got to and where it had been on its travels.

I've found that if people are willing to give their GPS co-ordinates, then you can create a QR code that they can scan, and that some QR code generators have an API that can be used to access the statistical data. The idea would be to have a database that stores the current and previous locations of the object(s), and then to show that data on a google map on a website. Since not everybody would be willing to use location services, I'd also want the ability for them to enter co-ordinates manually, or better still, enter co-ordinates by clicking their location on a map.

It's been a few years since I did any sort of webdesign or programming, so whilst I can understand most things conceptually it's hard for me to gauge how hard this would be, or other important things like the structure of the database table etc. Ideally I'd like to benefit from the smarts of you guys to make sure I'm not forever trying to find ways around unforeseen hiccups etc.

Anyone got any suggestions where to start?

3 answers to this question

• Solution
1 hour ago, Fully Detached said:

The idea would be to have some sort of object that people could pick up in one location and deposit it in another, so we could see whereabouts in the world it got to and where it had been on its travels.

Are you not reinventing the wheel? A travel bug can be purchased with an ID on it, and it is left in a geocache. You register it with the geocaching websites, and get a log of where it has been as people move it on from location to location.

Edited by Nippy
20 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

I'm toying with the idea of a "message in the bottle"  type of vanity/fun project.

Last time I was pulled by the Bobbies, they asked me if I had a police record.

"Aye mate," I replied. "Message in a Bottle"...!

Another three points on me fuckin' license...

XYY

12 minutes ago, Nippy said:

Are you not reinventing the wheel? A travel bug can be purchased with an ID on it, and it is left in a geocache. You register it with the geocaching websites, and get a log of where it has been as people move it on from location to location.

Ah, nice one - thanks! That looks pretty much exactly what I'm after, so yes I was reinventing the wheel but only because I didn't know the wheel existed. I'll look into that, cheers :)