DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Best speaker cable on a budget

Question

10 answers to this question

33 minutes ago, 5min OCD speculator said:

yeah twin core electrical cable :)

Close. :D

4 Core mains flex. Just the bulk of copper you are looking for - take your pick up to 2.5mm - starts at around £1.30 per m for that gauge from the likes of CPC/Farnell etc.

A friend of mine ran plastic conduit pipe for the speaker cables in the walls just as a extra benefit of being able to replace/change the cables in the future 

Nothing worse than hiding cables then having a issue with one randomly not working 

Not what you asked i know but still....

Edited by DoINeedOne
6 hours ago, DoINeedOne said:

A friend of mine ran plastic conduit pipe for the speaker cables in the walls just as a extra benefit of being able to replace/change the cables in the future 

Nothing worse than hiding cables then having a issue with one randomly not working 

Not what you asked i know but still....

Serviceability is good, even if not likely to be used- can probably get away with just stuffing a bit of spare into the wall cavity, back box, as spare, likelihood of completely damaging a cable away from the cable ends is low especially if you follow routing conventions used for mains cable in standard known safe zones where other people / trades are not likely to disturb it.

Having said that AV is one are where you'd be mad not to have trunking  - surface or hidden, with plenty of pull wires for handy use as the standards change so frequently and connectors particularly sensitive to damage.

Edited by onlyme

https://www.amazon.co.uk/electrosmart-Quality-2-5mm-Speaker-Cable/dp/B003CZD3I6/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=electrosmart+50m+Quality+2+x+2.5mm+Loud+Speaker+Cable+-+Multi-Strand+444+(2x+222+Strand)+-+Outside+Dimensions+of+Cable%3A+7.5mm+x+3.6mm&qid=1603227596&s=electronics&sr=1-1

I don't know if it is the best, but it's proven to be fine for me.  It's 35 quid for 50 metres so about 70p / metre.   I bought a 50 metre roll of this about 10 years ago and all cables are as good as ever - last time I moved a year ago I didn't notice any tarnishing of the copper or degredation of the insulation.

I used it to connect a standard 2 speaker system in my bedroom and a 5.1 system in my living room.  The main speakers are about 4 metres from the amp and the rear speakers are about 10 metres away (following the skirting board) and it all sounds good to me.

The advantage of multi core wire over single (solid) wire is that it is more flexible and so easier to pull through conduits etc.

The skin effect says it should be a better conductor for higher frequency signals but I doubt I'd hear the difference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_effect

Edited by Lipid
Added Multi Core Advantages