DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

RAC - Russians Are Crazy - Rally

I think the third one would have made it if he had not found himself hurtling at the gawkers.

Whatever happened to rallying? Did it go to some pay per view channel? We used to get lots of rallying in Wales but it seems to have disappeared as a sport. Didn't some sponsors pull out and the Police began fining the drivers for speeding here in the UK?

9 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

... We used to get lots of rallying in Wales but it seems to have disappeared as a sport. Didn't some sponsors pull out and the Police began fining the drivers for speeding here in the UK?

I recall 'rallying' in Wales in the 80's as being a function of all the lads going out and 'taking advantage' of the empty gravel tracks.  That's where future rally stars learnt their skills, and where future spectators learnt to appreciate the skills of the stars.

I'd guess that enthusiastic gravel driving doesn't happen so easily these days.

On 20/10/2020 at 19:41, The Masked Tulip said:

I think the third one would have made it if he had not found himself hurtling at the gawkers.

Whatever happened to rallying? Did it go to some pay per view channel? We used to get lots of rallying in Wales but it seems to have disappeared as a sport. Didn't some sponsors pull out and the Police began fining the drivers for speeding here in the UK?

Looks like it:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2003/nov/11/sport.jamiewilson

Nothing says you and your sport isn't welcome here more than a copper with a clipboard. 

On 21/10/2020 at 00:41, The Masked Tulip said:

Whatever happened to rallying? Did it go to some pay per view channel?

Still going better and faster than ever ,and yes to pay per view but there is content on Youtube better than the PPV channels no elf and safety restrictions :D 

Finland last year 

Edited by Long time lurking