• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

ID cards back on the agenda?

As per.

listening to r4 at lunch time and the discussion centred on what to do about EU citizens post brexit and whether they would need to have a permit to work.

one very bright chappie (could have been one of us) on saying that the key problem with immigration is not borders per se, but that people can tap into benefits.  Went on to list these such as housing, NHS etc. His solution would be to issue identity cards (called them something else) and that it would only be possession of this that would enable an individual to access services. 

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

As per.

listening to r4 at lunch time and the discussion centred on what to do about EU citizens post brexit and whether they would need to have a permit to work.

one very bright chappie (could have been one of us) on saying that the key problem with immigration is not borders per se, but that people can tap into benefits.  Went on to list these such as housing, NHS etc. His solution would be to issue identity cards (called them something else) and that it would only be possession of this that would enable an individual to access services.

We already have something similar in place. Just modify our EHIC card which is available free to all British citizens.

I don't actually see any problem with having to show a card when I want to access something supplied by the Gov for free - housing, NHS, benefits etc.

2 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

We already have something similar in place. Just modify our EHIC card which is available free to all British citizens.

I don't actually see any problem with having to show a card when I want to access something supplied by the Gov for free - housing, NHS, benefits etc.

Nope, me neither. It would also remove the moral dilemma front front line staff of refusing treatment. No card, no services. End of. 

In these days when everyone is carrying a precise tracking device anyway and posting information about themselves online, it's time the ID card phobia was laid to rest.

It amazes me that in the UK people fuss about carrying an ID card while not seeing that this would help the authorities fight benefit abuse and illegal immigration, while not caring that the banks rule politics. Strange priorities.

4 minutes ago, Byron said:

When I was a child in the 1940s, everyone had an identity card including myself.

Jesus, you old git!

I do think these vehicle attacks might be part of a plan (or used as such) to make private motoring more heavily restricted.

23 minutes ago, One percent said:

Nope, me neither. It would also remove the moral dilemma front front line staff of refusing treatment. No card, no services. End of. 

I'm surprised people think it will work like that, it sounds a bit naive.

The thought that illegal migrants are going to be refused treatment in this weak country when they can't produce an ID card is laughable. The NHS is, like most public institutions, staffed by a considerable number of left wing do-gooders. It won't happen.

All that will happen is that the State will be granted even greater powers to snoop on the willing populace that toes the line.

1 minute ago, spunko2010 said:

The thought that illegal migrants are going to be refused treatment in this weak country when they can't produce an ID card is laughable. The NHS is, like most public institutions, staffed by a considerable number of left wing do-gooders. It won't happen.

All that will happen is that the State will be granted even greater powers to snoop on the willing populace that toes the line.

I hear you. However, I've got to have a little hope that if this is done, it is to protect the indigenous population and its resources from exploitation. Sadly, my faith will probably proven to be misplaced. 

2 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I'm not sure they should be refused emergency treatment anyway, not even the Swiss do that. But non-essential is another matter.

Just now, One percent said:

I hear you. However, I've got to have a little hope that if this is done, it is to protect the indigenous population and its resources from exploitation. Sadly, my faith will probably proven to be misplaced. 

I have just been to the hospital about an injury (as mentioned in the other thread). The ratio of of migrants to natives in the waiting room I calculated at about 75:25. Crazy times.  If it can put half of them off, it'd be worth it, but I just can't see it. An NHS card would be better. Once you're here for X number of years and have paid in a minimum in income tax then you get an NHS card.

Just now, spunko2010 said:

I have just been to the hospital about an injury (as mentioned in the other thread). The ratio of of migrants to natives in the waiting room I calculated at about 75:25. Crazy times.  If it can put half of them off, it'd be worth it, but I just can't see it. An NHS card would be better. Once you're here for X number of years and have paid in a minimum in income tax then you get an NHS card.

I take it that the rash thing is no better?  Did you manage to get a diagnosis and treatment?  

Just now, spunko2010 said:

What about all the bennyboys and girls who've never worked? I doubt if excluding our own useless citizens is an idea that would fly.

Just now, One percent said:

I take it that the rash thing is no better?  Did you manage to get a diagnosis and treatment?  

Yes, although they hadn't seen many of them before! The nurse pulled off the blister while I was chugging on laughing gas. Didn't feel a thing. It's getting better but will take weeks to heal fully apparently. It was a surprisingly positive NHS experience - a rarity these days> Although I may edit this post in a few days if I get MRSA :Jumping:

1 minute ago, swissy_fit said:

What about all the bennyboys and girls who've never worked? I doubt if excluding our own useless citizens is an idea that would fly.

If I had to weigh up the native idle/benefit claimants versus the imported ones, I'd go with the former every time!

2 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Yes, although they hadn't seen many of them before! The nurse pulled off the blister while I was chugging on laughing gas. Didn't feel a thing. It's getting better but will take weeks to heal fully apparently. It was a surprisingly positive NHS experience - a rarity these days> Although I may edit this post in a few days if I get MRSA :Jumping:

Did you catch it from a Tinder contact? Good thing you used a condom, could have been a LOT worse....:P

1 hour ago, One percent said:

Could be a bit awkward at road traffic accidents if people had left their wallet / purse at home. Would need certain "sanity checks" I think.