DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Security guard baiting

Been watching some of these videos on YouTube, some of them are quite funny. Turn up with a camera and film a building until you're challenged, then sit back as all hell breaks loose. It's interesting seeing people who just cannot walk away despite being clearly wrong. 

If I didn't have to go to work I think I'd buy a camera and do this just to pass the time. 

This one in 'Media City' is quite funny. You can see the penny start to drop when he says 'the BBC go out every day and film people without asking permission' 

2 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Been watching some of these videos on YouTube, some of them are quite funny. Turn up with a camera and film a building until you're challenged, then sit back as all hell breaks loose. It's interesting seeing people who just cannot walk away despite being clearly wrong. 

If I didn't have to go to work I think I'd buy a camera and do this just to pass the time. 

This one in 'Media City' is quite funny. You can see the penny start to drop when he says 'the BBC go out every day and film people without asking permission' 

I can't stand these videos, as a photographer I can't help thinking that this sort of shit is what will bring about changes in the law to make public photography illegal.

6 minutes ago, Snark said:

I can't stand these videos, as a photographer I can't help thinking that this sort of shit is what will bring about changes in the law to make public photography illegal.

I was thinking about this and why they haven't done it already. My guess is that if you make filming in a public place illegal then you get a problem with CCTV. As long as you have CCTV run by private organisations you have to allow filming in a public place. 

5 minutes ago, Panther said:

A lot of them don't seem to understand that a shopping centre or industrial estate is not necessarily a public place.

But they never get moved on. I think they do know, the likelihood is they've pushed the boundaries and found exactly what is and isn't legal through experience. 

5 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I was thinking about this and why they haven't done it already. My guess is that if you make filming in a public place illegal then you get a problem with CCTV. As long as you have CCTV run by private organisations you have to allow filming in a public place. 

Not necessarily. You could require people to have a licence to do it, and then only give out licences to those you deem "suitable".

7 minutes ago, Panther said:

A lot of them don't seem to understand that a shopping centre or industrial estate is not necessarily a public place.

Well I was arrested and charged with being drunk in charge of a car just outside Skegness about 35 years ago . The learner was way over the limit and I asked can you charge 2 people with drink driveing when im

not even insured to drive it anyway .i was arrested on the camp site field lol and I said we are in a fucking field they were that desperate to convict me that they tried to do me by saying it’s public access if u can camp and pay the next day but private if you can’t pitch your tent until you’ve paid even plod was arguing about if they could legally brethalise me so I refused has I’m in a fucking field my mate got banned for 12 months it took ages to find out if they were going to convict me or not lol ps he reversed over 2 people in a tent luckily it was in a mk 1 Capri so he just demolished the tent and it had been raining so he just wheel span up one of them

in a sleeping bag lol

6 minutes ago, Panther said:

But they ARE public places according to the law. The may be private property, but they are public places if they are open to the public.  For example, a railway station is a public place. So is a shop. An industrial estate with many businesses that can be visited (e.g. to conform to legal requirements for the service of documents and inspection of company registers) is a public place, even if they are on private roads

If you film in a shop, a public place but private property, the owner cannot physically stop you filming or confiscate the images. What they can do is ask you to stop, and if you refuse, ultimately force you to leave.

15 minutes ago, Snark said:

Some of the videos are provocative, but it is also important to establish the public's rights to film, and practice them. Otherwise the jobsworths win.

A non-trivial point is that what few professional journalists we have left must be free to report things that the powerful do not want us to see.

3 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Well I was arrested and charged with being drunk in charge of a car just outside Skegness about 35 years ago . The learner was way over the limit and I asked can you charge 2 people with drink driveing when im

not even insured to drive it anyway .i was arrested on the camp site field lol and I said we are in a fucking field they were that desperate to convict me that they tried to do me by saying it’s public access if u can camp and pay the next day but private if you can’t pitch your tent until you’ve paid even plod was arguing about if they could legally brethalise me so I refused has I’m in a fucking field my mate got banned for 12 months it took ages to find out if they were going to convict me or not lol ps he reversed over 2 people in a tent luckily it was in a mk 1 Capri so he just demolished the tent and it had been raining so he just wheel span up one of them

in a sleeping bag lol

If it's got public access it's public. I was going to give my son a few lessons in a car park, but when I checked it out despite the fact a supermarket car park is private property it's a public place and subject to all the usual laws i.e. A 13 year old can't drive. 

If you own a farm then they could drive around that as there's no public access. 

4 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

If it's got public access it's public. I was going to give my son a few lessons in a car park, but when I checked it out despite the fact a supermarket car park is private property it's a public place and subject to all the usual laws i.e. A 13 year old can't drive. 

If you own a farm then they could drive around that as there's no public access. 

You could get done now they can test the qualified driver for drink or drugs not then and I couldn’t drive it anyway not insured I remember the nightclub we had been Wolfe’s wine bar I shat myself for 3 months my dad would have killed me if I’d of got banned

6 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

World of pain. You'd end up having so many exceptions it would be unworkable. Dashcams for example. 

Fucking cyclists has well

29 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

so he just demolished the tent and it had been raining so he just wheel span up one of them

in a sleeping bag lol

17 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Fucking cyclists has well

Hilarious. ¬¬

I'm guessing that in the 35 years since the sleeping bag incident, no common sense has sunk in.

Do everyone a favour and stick to walking or public transport.

Edited by Happy Renting
56 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Is 'Media City' private property? Is there a public right of way there?

If it's private property the security guard is in his rights to ask the filmer to leave - unless there is a right of way. 

Just now, Happy Renting said:

Is 'Media City' private property? Is there a public right of way there?

If it's private property the security guard is in his rights to ask the filmer to leave - unless there is a right of way. 

Look at the footage. Of course it's not private. If it has public access it's public and you can film anything you can see from a public place, with a very small number of exceptions e.g. Army barracks that are very clearly marked 'no photography'. 

6 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

Hilarious. ¬¬

I'm guessing that in the 35 years since the sleeping bag incident, no common sense has sunk in.

Do everyone a favour and stick to walking or public transport.

Yep a 30 acre site fucking empty when we went the pub and some twat decides to pitch a tent right behind us .ie got all the fucking field anyway you’ve only got half the story it gets worse .after he had demolished their tent he does a runner leaveing me staggering around very drunk there had been an incident in Wolfe’s wine bar and my mate being the hero insisted we go the hospitle.so we ended up in a fight so I’m even more injured lol .so he pulls forward a runs off these lads and there’s 3/4 tents full are not happy about the tent incident and decide they are going to smash his car up in revenge .im like fine then some bright spark says let’s smash all there cars up I’m like not fine I had a Talbot alpine and the hatch backs up and I got my camping axe by then some fuckers got a toarch and I’m dressed all in white new romantic fashion but covered in blood . So I got arrested by a police dog handler my mate was and 5 of them still got the scars on my right hand now ps only I got hurt but 2 ladsto be fair had a lucky escape my alpine being front wheel drive would have gone over them 

19 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Look at the footage. Of course it's not private. If it has public access it's public and you can film anything you can see from a public place, with a very small number of exceptions e.g. Army barracks that are very clearly marked 'no photography'. 

The public can have access to private property - at the discretion of the landowner.

A shop has public access. A shop is private property, but is a public place.

So there is no 'of course' about it. The guy making the video in the OP seems to be a prat, and does even understand the difference between 'public place', 'public property' and 'private property' which have entirely different meanings.

Furthermore, the BBC and Costa are tenants, so even though the BBC is (indirectly) publicly owned, the offices there aren't.

The BBC as tenants can deny access to the buildings they rent, or eject someone.

The question is, are the thoroughfares in Media City private property?

Edited by Happy Renting
3 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

The public can have access to private property - at the discretion of the landowner.

A shop has public access. A shop is private property, but is a public place.

So there is no 'of course' about it. The guy making the video in the OP seems to be a prat, and does even understand the difference between 'public place', 'public property' and 'private property' which have entirely different meanings.

Furthermore, the BBC and Costa are tenants, so even though the BBC is (indirectly) publicly owned, the offices there aren't.

The BBC as tenants can deny access to the buildings they rent, or eject someone.

The question is, are the thoroughfares in Media City private property?

A doorman has an example or a landlord does not even need to give you reason for asking you to leave .if you refuse they can use force legally .a pub is public access but private however the law might have changed since the 25 years since I was last badged 

53 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I like this one. Clearly hanging around looking for trouble, but the two morons could have just carried on walking. Walking up to someone saying 'stop filming me' defeats the point. Just carry on walking. 

Pubic highway, automatically a public place. Every right to film there without permission. Including filming the building visible from the public highway.

He's trolling them, it is funny seeing some officious bod thinking an ID card on a necklace makes him some sort tin-pot policeman. The guy with the envelope's conduct is borderline harrasment of the filmer. and clearly threatening damage to the filmer's property.

The filmer makes the mistake of trying to explain why he is filming, whcih he is under no obligation to do, and just muddies the waters.

Like you say, they should have just walked on. They can ask not to be filmed, but the filmer is under no obligation.