DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Leaf Blower Powered Karts Spotted in the Wild

40 minutes ago, Panther said:

action - reaction = 0

Reverse thrust on an aircraft can propell you backwards. Forwards in the sense of leaf blower man. Not what is happening though. He would be going 1mph max if he got the umbrella in really close.

21 minutes ago, RJT1979 said:

Reverse thrust on an aircraft can propell you backwards. Forwards in the sense of leaf blower man. Not what is happening though. He would be going 1mph max if he got the umbrella in really close.

Nope. You're the african in the back of the pickup :P

Edited by Boglet
6 minutes ago, RJT1979 said:

An aircraft can reverse itself with reverse thrust. Its not done as it would be a waste of fuel, noisy and unsafe without reversing cameras. Its the same principal.

C17 does it at airshows and may do it in military action if required.

Oh I see what you mean now, yeah.

16 hours ago, RJT1979 said:

An aircraft can reverse itself with reverse thrust. Its not done as it would be a waste of fuel, noisy and unsafe

Wow an airplane flying backwards that would be something to see

On 23/10/2020 at 15:25, Funn3r said:

Wow an airplane flying backwards that would be something to see

There are 2 scenarios where this can happen.  I have seen 1 of them, and yes, it is very, very impressive.

Hawker Harrier often used to arrive at air shows at high speed, not quite Mach 1, but fast enough to make you jump.  It would then bank and sweep round across the sky then slow down as it approached the front of the crowd, slower, slower until it just hovered, motionless in front of crowd.  Then it would start moving backwards. 

I haven't seen scenario 2 but a private pilot I knew used to tell of take offs into strong headwind and then throttling back to lower than the ground windspeed.  Effectively flying backwards to anyone on the ground.