DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Companies doing free school dinners for kids

Seeing lots of small companies offering 10 free lunches for kids during half term.

Can we find 11 small children to line up and watch the last one cry?

It's a really nice gesture for companies who have been really hard hit by Covid to do this.
But the govt says they've upped the level of support for poor people during Covid 

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought Child Tax Credits and Child Benefit was given to people to buy food (among other things) to feed their children?

You could double benefits and some kids would still go hungry.... If someone had a dog and it went hungry the RSPCA would get called in and the culprit would go to court and the media would criti

I can kind-of see why* they might get free meals at school, but I can't understand why they need to have the cash equivalent when they're at home -- parents could cook for them (many are at home full-

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Seeing lots of small companies offering 10 free lunches for kids during half term.

Can we find 11 small children to line up and watch the last one cry?

It's a really nice gesture for companies who have been really hard hit by Covid to do this.
But the govt says they've upped the level of support for poor people during Covid 

Can I get this I like free shit

13 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Do a run through on entitled to for a non working person with a variety of kids and then a working person.

I don't understand why people think benefits are insufficient. Even a fairly small family (2 parents, 2 kids) gets about £2k per month. How is it sustainable?

Minimum per child seems to be about £75 per week (CTC + CB) or the UC equivalent. That's plenty for food.

Edited by HolyCow
2 minutes ago, HolyCow said:

I don't understand why people think benefits are insufficient. Even a fairly small family (2 parents, 2 kids) gets about £2k per month. How is it sustainable?

Minimum per child seems to be about £75 per week (CTC + CB) or the UC equivalent. That's plenty for food.

For a window into where this money goes one local newsagent has a sign up saying "no scratch cards"; the reason being that the same people were visiting the shop three or four times a day to buy scratch cards which they didn't think appropriate during the lockdown restrictions.

You can just see it: "Feed the kids or another scratch card?  Scratch card!"   

1 minute ago, dgul said:

The way it is presented it is as though all poor people are completely useless and can't even prepare something for themselves for lunch.  Well, I suppose that might be the case if we keep on spunking cash on them so that they can stuff themselves with KFC every day.  Perhaps a little tough love is required, not more indulging the buggers.

Areas of free school means and a map of where high levels of takeaway shops?

I would prefer food banks sat down with people and gave them financial advice and sorted through their debts and financial problems before just feeding them. That's not to say it has to happen the first visit, but people repeatedly needing help really need help with money. And cooking. and organisational skills.
And then we might have to accept some people are not grown ups despite being over 18.

1 minute ago, dgul said:

I can kind-of see why* they might get free meals at school, but I can't understand why they need to have the cash equivalent when they're at home -- parents could cook for them (many are at home full-time or short-hours working) and once in secondary school it isn't outrageous for a child to be able to cook something for themselves. 

For some reason I'm expected to pay for them to eat in a restaurant every day.  This is bonkers.

[*Actually, I can't.  My children (mid teens) prepare their own school-day lunch every evening.  A few days a week they decide to go for a school meal.  Oh, but the poor kids need their nutritious (ha!) school meal because they don't get anything cooked for them at home -- my kids will prepare evening meals for the family a day a week or so, and will prepare their own evening meal a few days a week.   It appears that I give out cash so that feckless people don't have to bother with all that effort.]  

The way it is presented it is as though all poor people are completely useless and can't even prepare something for themselves for lunch.  Well, I suppose that might be the case if we keep on spunking cash on them so that they can stuff themselves with KFC every day.  Perhaps a little tough love is required, not more indulging the buggers.

I think you will find that many of these bennie people don’t know how to cook.  You often see them being interviewed whereby they are complaining that they can only afford frozen shit and fast food coz fresh food is too expensive. Innit.   

no it fucking isn't.  I often look at the ready meals in the supermarket and think, how much?   An example is that i can make pizza for six people for about three quid, depending on toppings.  Fancy toppings and it’ll be a little more. 

22 minutes ago, One percent said:

I think you will find that many of these bennie people don’t know how to cook.  You often see them being interviewed whereby they are complaining that they can only afford frozen shit and fast food coz fresh food is too expensive. Innit.   

no it fucking isn't.  I often look at the ready meals in the supermarket and think, how much?   An example is that i can make pizza for six people for about three quid, depending on toppings.  Fancy toppings and it’ll be a little more. 

Quite.  The solution isn't to give them more money, but to force them to learn the required skills.

However, these days I think that gov doesn't actually care about all that.    If they give money to me I'll spend it sort-of wisely and maybe save some, whereas if they give it to the feckless they'll spunk it all before the day is out.  Ie, give £100 to me and I'll slowly drip it into the economy, give the feckless £100 and it'll be shovelled into the economy by teatime.  Hence the economic impact is greater if you throw cash at the feckless.

[There is a moral hazard in all that.  I suppose it'll rear its head at some point.]

2 minutes ago, dgul said:

Quite.  The solution isn't to give them more money, but to force them to learn the required skills.

So it should be holiday clubs for parents and kids all learning to cook and then doing maths afterwards to break down the costs of what they've eaten, learn about paying bills and how to save.

1 minute ago, sarahbell said:

So it should be holiday clubs for parents and kids all learning to cook and then doing maths afterwards to break down the costs of what they've eaten, learn about paying bills and how to save.

Or do the highly sensible thing of giving them 80% of their benefits in the form of vouchers:

Separately rent, utilities and food.

That is precisely why the benefits are paid: to keep people housed, warmed and fed so it makes sense to ensure that is where they are spent.

Leave a 20% cash element for clothes, presents, or beer ciggies and scratch cards.  Whatever they wish to spend it on is fine because the vouchers will ensure that all essentials are provided so the kids won't go hungry because mummy or daddy is bevvying the cash. 

It seems such an obvious thing to do.  This isn't cutting benefits it's looking after people and their children.

40 minutes ago, One percent said:

I had a Tesco 'Hearty Food' sweet and sour chicken with rice last week. It cost 69p! I know... I'm frivolous at times!

6 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

I had a Tesco 'Hearty Food' sweet and sour chicken with rice last week. It cost 69p! I know... I'm frivolous at times!

Bet it tasted like it too.  Even the top end ready meals can’t compare to home cooked. 

for tea tonight, I’m having a meze type thing. Most expensive thing is a salmon pate but that will do three teas. All plumped out with homemade sourdough, homemade pickled onions and home cooked beetroot. 

5 minutes ago, One percent said:

Bet it tasted like it too.  Even the top end ready meals can’t compare to home cooked. 

for tea tonight, I’m having a meze type thing. Most expensive thing is a salmon pate but that will do three teas. All plumped out with homemade sourdough, homemade pickled onions and home cooked beetroot. 

How you're just showing off.

Did you grow the beetroot and onions?

20 minutes ago, One percent said:

Got the x to cook me a gammon joint 

1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

No government wants a populace that understands how to save money. Only to spend it!

The problem is that the government that giveth can no longer taketh away. They would dare not tread away from the woke righteous path for fear of the backlash.

Simple matter is the majority of the working contingent of London lives nowhere near London. The ‘Londoners’ now (away from prime central) pretty much rely on benefits and tax credits. 

It doesn’t matter that there’s a very thin line (with children) whether tax credits amounts to the same as a £30-40k job (without disabilities etc piled on) The media doesn’t portray that to the masses (as far as they’re concerned universal credit is akin to lining up at the food banks and soup kitchens) and the masses are ingrained to listen to the narrative.

Hopefully on the back of mass unemployment the majority of the country will be on universal credit and may realise that it’s not that bad after all and the charade will be up.

The economy will implode however but the quicker the better to be put out of its misery and hopefully force some kind of reform (even if that be UBI)

1 hour ago, One percent said:

In my home I've just had a tiger crust cheese and bacon pizza. It was home cooked from frozen home delivery. There.... I got some 'homes' in!