Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Companies doing free school dinners for kids


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought Child Tax Credits and Child Benefit was given to people to buy food (among other things) to feed their children?

You could double benefits and some kids would still go hungry.... If someone had a dog and it went hungry the RSPCA would get called in and the culprit would go to court and the media would criti

I can kind-of see why* they might get free meals at school, but I can't understand why they need to have the cash equivalent when they're at home -- parents could cook for them (many are at home full-

Posted Images

Poor starving kids

Childhood obesity has been worsening for years. In 2018-19 almost a 10th of four- and five-year-olds and a fifth of 10- and 11-year-olds in England were obese, as were even more of the latter – 27% – in the poorest parts of the country. About 1.4 million children aged between two and 15 were classified as obese in 2018.

Hmmmm

Link to post
Share on other sites

So here's the thing.......

It's about the free lunches that kids would normally have been getting at school, for some kids this was their only daily meal. But my question is how much does it cost for a simple lunch? 2 or 3 fags? a can of special brew? I could put together a simple pasta meal for under 50p, so I think for the majority it's simply a case of wrong priorities.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Van Lady said:

I and my kids have been fortunate in life with no need for free school meals, food bank etc. Like others on the forum because I ended up in a situation not of my choice as a single parent I did claim tax credits and worked part time in various jobs. 

My last paid work was in homeless young people and looked after children. Spent 6 years doing that, probably 50% split between the two with a clear divide and the latter years in looked after children....residential childcare.

While working in the area of young homeless one of the key things was teach them how to cook. I never encountered one who was enthusiastic about it. Mainly young single mothers with usually perfectly adequate housing although not all were lucky. There were a few young males who had usually been booted out a single mother home because the benefits had stopped. None were interested in learning to cook. Most were on antidepressants. All very sad really.

Anyhow, when I moved to working in residential childcare it got even more gloomy regarding home cooking. Kids under age of twelve mainly taken into care for a variety of reasons. I was older than most of the other “care” workers who were tasked to plan and do the weekly shopping. There were a few other workers like me  who made home made meals from what was available but the majority heated up ready meals from the freezer.

My daughter, when younger, had a friend for a while who was at our home a bit. Daughter’s friend commented a lot about how what we had for lunch/dinner/tea whatever was delicious. Her mum made nothing home cooked or they had takeaway. 

When my daughter was around 14 I had a row with her home economics teacher and got a letter from the school about my unacceptable conduct. The jist of the episode was that daughter threw the tuna sandwich made in class into the bin. Teacher made her retrieve it and bring it home. Plastic bread, margarine and tuna. I threw it in the bin. Made appointment to see teacher and told her I’d thrown sandwich in bin because it wasn’t what we would ever eat and that teaching 14 year olds to make a sandwich was lazy. Letter was have to teach for all capabilities blah blah blah shite.

In my opinion being able to cook a meal from basic ingredients is a necessity in life but it is no longer valued educationally at school, in many homes or so called social services provision.

 

 

If we are the point of teaching 14 yr olds how to make fucking sandwiches then that and subsequent generations are truly screwed. I applaud you and your daughter for throwing it in the bin. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Everyone knows it needs Sweetcorn too. Pfft. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

If we are the point of teaching 14 yr olds how to make fucking sandwiches then that and subsequent generations are truly screwed. I applaud you and your daughter for throwing it in the bin. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Everyone knows it needs Sweetcorn too. Pfft. 

Lots of mayonnaise and a pickle chopped up very finely. Good withsunflower and pumpkin seed bread. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Snark said:

So here's the thing.......

It's about the free lunches that kids would normally have been getting at school, for some kids this was their only daily meal. But my question is how much does it cost for a simple lunch? 2 or 3 fags? a can of special brew? I could put together a simple pasta meal for under 50p, so I think for the majority it's simply a case of wrong priorities.

I’ve had to have a video conference meeting today with social workers it’s a cin meeting aparently that’s child in need .they asked if I needed financial advice I said about what .one said budgeting I’m like I’ve no idea what I’m even going to get yet .im like how can you teach me about budgeting if I don’t even know that .q another social worker who says I know mark we won’t have to worry about that then made a joke about the fact I’d told her I thought I could save a fair chunk a month .the senior social worker said it’s to be spent on the kids I’m like so your saying waste it that’s not prudent .i thought I better stop at that I can see how they presume I’m going to act .then I told them I’d aready sent 400 quid to the Xs mother for Christmas presents and asked if that was surficent for a 2 year old .fuck them lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

I’ve had to have a video conference meeting today with social workers it’s a cin meeting aparently that’s child in need .they asked if I needed financial advice I said about what .one said budgeting I’m like I’ve no idea what I’m even going to get yet .im like how can you teach me about budgeting if I don’t even know that .q another social worker who says I know mark we won’t have to worry about that then made a joke about the fact I’d told her I thought I could save a fair chunk a month .the senior social worker said it’s to be spent on the kids I’m like so your saying waste it that’s not prudent .i thought I better stop at that I can see how they presume I’m going to act .then I told them I’d aready sent 400 quid to the Xs mother for Christmas presents and asked if that was surficent for a 2 year old .fuck them lol

Spend it and maybe they give you more

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dgul said:

Quite.  The solution isn't to give them more money, but to force them to learn the required skills.

However, these days I think that gov doesn't actually care about all that.    If they give money to me I'll spend it sort-of wisely and maybe save some, whereas if they give it to the feckless they'll spunk it all before the day is out.  Ie, give £100 to me and I'll slowly drip it into the economy, give the feckless £100 and it'll be shovelled into the economy by teatime.  Hence the economic impact is greater if you throw cash at the feckless.

[There is a moral hazard in all that.  I suppose it'll rear its head at some point.]

Yes it goes straight to the crony corporates.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dgul said:

Quite.  The solution isn't to give them more money, but to force them to learn the required skills.

However, these days I think that gov doesn't actually care about all that.    If they give money to me I'll spend it sort-of wisely and maybe save some, whereas if they give it to the feckless they'll spunk it all before the day is out.  Ie, give £100 to me and I'll slowly drip it into the economy, give the feckless £100 and it'll be shovelled into the economy by teatime.  Hence the economic impact is greater if you throw cash at the feckless.

[There is a moral hazard in all that.  I suppose it'll rear its head at some point.]

Trouble is some of these kids will have fuckup parents.  Maybe giving the cash to the parents not a good idea but on the other hand if there is fresh healthy food served at some school I don't see a big problem.

In fact probably a lot of benefits if semi healthy.  But these benefits down the line like better fitness or working minds... Potentially better for the country as a whole whether they turn into soldiers, directories or just better parents no.

Only heard second hand briefly the news and maybe I'm wrong and it's better of two evils to let a few suffer to benefit more long term.  Just don't think fair to penalize the kids if not their fault and it's not hard to do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Multi-millionaire footballer takes to social media to encourage struggling small business owners to feed kids belonging to poor people.

This.

I'm sure he's a good bloke. But he should be campaigning for all premier League footballers and managers to give 90% of their salary to charity. They'd still be earning far more than the average taxpayer

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, One percent said:

Bet it tasted like it too.  Even the top end ready meals can’t compare to home cooked. 
 

for tea tonight, I’m having a meze type thing. Most expensive thing is a salmon pate but that will do three teas. All plumped out with homemade sourdough, homemade pickled onions and home cooked beetroot. 

Fajitas here tonight. Made with prime USDA fillet steak.

As much as we could eat, and possibly no more expensive than a KFC.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever system you put in place will get subverted by humans to get smokes and drugs.

I tell you one way you change things.  You make the chief exec of each councils pay tied to a number of 'life skills; ratings for people on benefits in their area.

Audit teams choose 100 randos on benefits every month.  Visit them at home.  Tests of:

i) is the bathroom clean, kitchen clean, animals well looked after, clothes washed

ii) can the household cook a meal using fresh ingredients

iii) can all adults in the household add and multiply single numbers together accurately 

iv) can all adults in the household speak and read english to a basic level

 

population gets under 50% - no chief exec bonuses and no pension contributions for the CE that year.

 

you'd soon see a fucking shift in attitude

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Anglepoise said:

What benefits can a family with kids get in the uk? I haven't got a clue beyond Child Benefit which I work out at £212 pm for 3 kids. I'm involved in a spat on FB with a couple of Karens and need some facts!

Have a play around on the Entitledto calculator.

Depends what you mean by ''family''

I personally know of one single mum of 3 kids pulling in £350 per week in UC. (Was £330 prior to her covid payrise)

...plus child benefit

...plus whatever she gets in child maintenance from the 3 dads,

...plus whatever she may or may not earn from the obligatory 16 hours per week that she claims to work as a childminder.

 

All this and she has quite wealthy parents who have bought her a 17 reg SUV, buy all her kids toys and pay for a holiday for her every year

Link to post
Share on other sites

This ongoing story highlights everything that is wrong with the UK today.

Labour politicians who these days I have zero time for(party died with John Smith as far as I am concerned) and the virtual signalling media have yet again broken this story down into two camps and that's the end of it.

1. You are in the camp that does not want to feed kids and does not care about poverty and are a blood sucking monster that just feeds at the trough as people suffer around you.

or

2. You love your fellow human brothers and sisters and cannot bare to watch them suffer and you are the person that is going to make this government make the whole country feed these poor little children out of common decency.

 

I have issues with the Tories and some of it's values, but there we have it again, Labour have made this all about Good and evil and of course they are the good guys. There is just no other question that need asking as far as Labour are concerned, well at least that is what they make out, Labour feed children and Tories want them to starve.

You get the impression now as with so many other policies that the  Tories  are  are saying "right this is complicated, but we know what we will be called" so they are tempted to just go along with policies that are against their DNA in order not to be called evil.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...