DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Bleeding radiators

Question

Two of the radiators in this flat that make a noise like my stomach makes in the morning after beers.

I turn the bleed valve thing and out comes the air. I close it just as liquid starts to spew out of it. The warmth then spreads across the full surface of the thing and it stops making that gurgling noise.

This lasts for about two hours and then it starts again. This has been this way for weeks. These two appear to be piped "back-to-back" as it were.

Is there some magic technique for fixing both so I don't have to do this every day?

Do I have to do both at the same time?

4 answers to this question

Just now, DTMark said:

Two of the radiators in this flat that make a noise like my stomach makes in the morning after beers.

I turn the bleed valve thing and out comes the air. I close it just as liquid starts to spew out of it. The warmth then spreads across the full surface of the thing and it stops making that gurgling noise.

This lasts for about two hours and then it starts again. This has been this way for weeks. These two appear to be piped "back-to-back" as it were.

Is there some magic technique for fixing both so I don't have to do this every day?

Do I have to do both at the same time?

Bleed them with the heating switched off.

5 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Bleed them with the heating switched off.

I've done that. Nothing I do makes any difference. To the radiators.

There is a lot of air in both of them. I get bored waiting so I turn the valve more and then the floor and wall get soaked when the water eventually comes gushing out under high pressure.

13 minutes ago, onlyme said:

You can get self bleeding valves that are a replacement  fit on the radiator, another type that are installed at vent points at the top of the system. Never tried them myself but could be worth looking into.

https://www.radiatorvalvesonline.com/content/self-bleeding-radiator-valves

There are the fibre ones that let air out when dry and seal when wet but I haven't seen them for sale for years