DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

James Lindsay - A thread of his own.

James Lindsay.

I think this chap deserves a thread of his own.

I first came across him in an interview with Ellie-Jay Keene (AKA Posey Parker) who's also an interesting character - a non-academic happy wife and mother of four who has become a passionate advocate for women's spaces being reserved for women, rather than allowing them to be infiltrated by Transwomen, or, as she insists on calling them, "Men".

Anyway, James Lindsay started his a career as a mathematician, but he's become a commentator on Critical Theory, and in particular Critical Race Theory, because he regards the spread of it to be an existential threat to the Western World.

He recently became more visible through publicly stating how he had been a lifelong Democrat but had become a reluctant Trump supporter because of the Dem's support of CRT.

He also achieved some notoriety in being a co-publisher of "The Grievance Papers" in which he and two other authors pulled an Emperor's New Clothes operation upon the world of sociology. They wrote some spoof papers and submitted them to prestigious journals in the field, and some of their papers were published having gone through the usual peer review process. [One of them IIRC was about gay dogs' butt-sniffing behaviour in parks and whether their behaviour was correlated with anti-gay prejudice in their owners - something like that anyway]. Did a quick search and found this - one of many youtube videos about these papers - can't vouch for its quality, but I expect it's characteristic. (Not sure which one I originally watched).

I like him because he has actually read and understood the source papers in all the CRT stuff - Marx, Foucault, Derrida, Kimberly Crenshaw, Marcuse, etc etc, and so he can actually talk sense about them. Which means that his interviews he tends to be wonderfully articulate and informative.

Recent interview: (notwithstanding what I've said about his clarity, I found it very slightly opaque near the beginning for about 8 minutes where he goes into the history perhaps too much).

He's very active on twitter as @ConceptualJames and he also runs a comprehensive website at

https://newdiscourses.com/

Anyone else a fan?

6 minutes ago, DocH said:

Any chance to listen?

No-one else?     I'm DOSappointed.

No, not yet. I went for a long walk in the pouring rain yesterday. Got my flu jab, returned home, went to bed with a load of stuff to listen to... and promptly fell asleep. Will try and listen later on.

I have listened to quite a few interestin 'The Sun' discussions. Will let you know once I had a chance to listen. Not as if I am doing anything until Wales is no longer under martial law.

Just now, The Masked Tulip said:

I have listened to quite a few interestin 'The Sun' discussions. Will let you know once I had a chance to listen. Not as if I am doing anything until Wales is no longer under martial law.

Wasn't this interviewer the one who allowed Starkey to say "too many blacks" without comment. O.o

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

No, not yet. I went for a long walk in the pouring rain yesterday. Got my flu jab, returned home, went to bed with a load of stuff to listen to... and promptly fell asleep. Will try and listen later on.

Nice walk in Cwmdonkin Park? My old stamping ground.

1 minute ago, DocH said:

Wasn't this interviewer the one who allowed Starkey to say "too many blacks" without comment. O.o

Have not seen this guy yet. They have a young guy on there. He is quite good. A tad inexperienced. Sometimes annoys me when he misses the obvious question - to me anyhow. But he is good in that he usually shuts up, does not interrupt and lets the interesting person tell their story.

Interviews like this have been wrecked by the modern era of the Graham Nortons, the Sean Hannitys, etc, etc, which interupt far too often in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Shamone said:

Nice walk in Cwmdonkin Park? My old stamping ground.

Nah, I had a bizarre conversation in the surgery when having my flu jab - was going to post it in stealth - but I foolishly made the mistake of questioning some of the things going on. I got a load of twaddle about protecting the NHS and 30 beds in the local ITU. I was too tired and weary to point out that the NHS, being the most expensive and largest staff health care service in the West, was pretty rubbish if we had only 30 beds.

It was pouring yesterday as well. I had waterproofs on but by the time I got to the surgery I was exhausted. Usually there is a long queue. I had visions of a queue a mile down the road so got there about 40 minutes early. There was NO FECKER there. But they seem miffed that I had arrived early. It was all a bit, well, making me feel even more like the last sane guy in 'The Invasion of the body Snatchers'.

Got the jab. Walked out to Sketty Road and the Highways Dept is resurfacing the road. Loads of workmen and construction vehicles everywhere. I mean, this pandemic is so bad that Wales has gone into lockdown... but it is OK for loads of workmen to mingle. Utter wank.

I wandered into town to find it virtually deserted. I had to tell staff in one shop that I wanted lemsip before I could be allowed in. They started to tell me what stuff I could not buy. I repeated that I just wanted lemsip.

I got to M&S which was deserted and which had put up all the barriers and one way system as they had done in March. Staff wonderful there. But the aisles were full of food and only a handful of people around. Later this week there will be bargain.

I wandered home. Bought some pasties in a bakery. Went to Singleton and sat in the pouring rain eating my pasties.

Sorry, ranted.

7 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Nah, I had a bizarre conversation in the surgery when having my flu jab - was going to post it in stealth - but I foolishly made the mistake of questioning some of the things going on. I got a load of twaddle about protecting the NHS and 30 beds in the local ITU. I was too tired and weary to point out that the NHS, being the most expensive and largest staff health care service in the West, was pretty rubbish if we had only 30 beds.

It was pouring yesterday as well. I had waterproofs on but by the time I got to the surgery I was exhausted. Usually there is a long queue. I had visions of a queue a mile down the road so got there about 40 minutes early. There was NO FECKER there. But they seem miffed that I had arrived early. It was all a bit, well, making me feel even more like the last sane guy in 'The Invasion of the body Snatchers'.

Got the jab. Walked out to Sketty Road and the Highways Dept is resurfacing the road. Loads of workmen and construction vehicles everywhere. I mean, this pandemic is so bad that Wales has gone into lockdown... but it is OK for loads of workmen to mingle. Utter wank.

I wandered into town to find it virtually deserted. I had to tell staff in one shop that I wanted lemsip before I could be allowed in. They started to tell me what stuff I could not buy. I repeated that I just wanted lemsip.

I got to M&S which was deserted and which had put up all the barriers and one way system as they had done in March. Staff wonderful there. But the aisles were full of food and only a handful of people around. Later this week there will be bargain.

I wandered home. Bought some pasties in a bakery. Went to Singleton and sat in the pouring rain eating my pasties.

Sorry, ranted.

I miss the parks. They dug a hole in my road yesterday.

On 24/10/2020 at 10:59, DocH said:

They wrote some spoof papers and submitted them to prestigious journals in the field, and some of their papers were published having gone through the usual peer review process. [One of them IIRC was about gay dogs' butt-sniffing behaviour in parks and whether their behaviour was correlated with anti-gay prejudice in their owners - something like that anyway]

It really is going to be, beyond reproach if Trump don`t win

11 minutes ago, Shamone said:

Not really broken pipe I think

55CE9252-A588-4873-B6CF-0957CFF9FCA2.jpeg

I passed three blokes doing similar in The Kingsway yesterday. They were in yellow though. One was cementing a brick in the pouring rain. Two other blokes seemed to be watching him. They might have been doing something really important that I missed. They too had a little square of barriers around them.