DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

TV Licence letters - checking co-ordination

This thread isn't about the wider TV licence but rather to check if I'm correct in thinking that everyone is on the same cycle of letters or whether it is regional (I'm in Cornwall) or purely based upon the date of receipt of your first letter.

To take out a possible random element in the first year of receipt can I ask that only those people who have been licence free for several years respond?  Though I accept that the thread will run as it will.

Today I received - dated October 2020:

"Act now to stop an investigation."

I think that this is the first in the cycle because it's reasonably unthreatening at this stage and suggesting that you might need to buy one but have forgotten.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is a reason for my non-contact - they have to pay out to harass me despite it having no effect. My estimate is that it costs 10% of a licence fee so if ten people go no contact that's like

Do you know how many are in the full set? With 24 you must be well on the way to a full set. Do you have any duplicates that you would be willing to swap? And I am particularly interested to know if t

Good. Buy a TV Licence you penny pinching twat.

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

This thread isn't about the wider TV licence but rather to check if I'm correct in thinking that everyone is on the same cycle of letters or whether it is regional (I'm in Cornwall) or purely based upon the date of receipt of your first letter.

To take out a possible random element in the first year of receipt can I ask that only those people who have been licence free for several years respond?  Though I accept that the thread will run as it will.

Today I received - dated October 2020:

I think that this is the first in the cycle because it's reasonably unthreatening at this stage and suggesting that you might need to buy one but have forgotten.

Hang, I'll have to go and fish the (unopened) one that I threw in the bin 10 minutes ago.... 

Yep. I have the exact same one. 

Edited by the gardener
3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I always open them because I rip up any paper going into the bin which has my name or address upon it.

My house has a number on it and my street has a sign with it's name on it so people can easily get the address of my house. 

My name however, is not The Legal Occupier, so I reckon my identity is safe. 

4 minutes ago, the gardener said:

My house has a number on it and my street has a sign with it's name on it so people can easily get the address of my house. 

Postal service's act 2000.

"(3)A person commits an offence if, intending to act to a person’s detriment and without reasonable excuse, he opens a postal packet which he knows or reasonably suspects has been incorrectly delivered to him."

Not sure if it applies to women though........

I just got a small brown one.  Can't quite work out the timing, but it seems to be every 2 to 3 months.  I collect them now; have 24, different sizes, colours, envelope windows. etc...  This is my first small brown, no window.  

13 minutes ago, the gardener said:

I'm not saying everyone should open them; I'm explaining why I do.

I got an email from them last week as that's how I notified them that I don't need a licence

Dear Sir/Madam,

MAKE SURE YOU’RE COVERED WHILE YOU WATCH

We’re getting in touch because things are constantly changing in the world of TV. There are now more channels, on-demand platforms and streaming services showing content that you need a TV Licence for.

We’ve made it simple for you to check whether anything’s changed in the way that you or anyone in your household is watching TV. And whether or not you need to change your No Licence Needed declaration.

I've been on this cycle for eight years now, across three different addresses in the south-east. The scary looking red ones come though from time to time, then it loops round again.

My ultimate goal is to cost them more in paper and postage then I gave them in the few years I was dumb enough to pay up. :)

Edited by Curious Pattern
11 minutes ago, Underwhelmed said:

Wow so there's a legal requirement to make such a declaration.

Just kidding. But the bastards have an entire policy section detailing how long it's valid for etc.

58 minutes ago, feed said:

I just got a small brown one.  Can't quite work out the timing, but it seems to be every 2 to 3 months.  I collect them now; have 24, different sizes, colours, envelope windows. etc...  This is my first small brown, no window.  

Wtf.ive not had one for 18 months license free well over 3 years now

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Why assist somebody whose first and ongoing assumption is that you are in the wrong and that they have the moral high ground?  I don't need a licence.  I don't watch or record broadcast TV or watch iPlayer.

Amen. This isn't how justice is supposed to work - presumption of innocence and all that. The threats that their private harassment contractor shovel through your letterbox are toothless. If you have a job and are out during the day you'll never even have to close the door on one of their hired goons.

From my experience you can happily ignore them and go about your business.

5 minutes ago, Curious Pattern said:

Amen. This isn't how justice is supposed to work - presumption of innocence and all that. The threats that their private harassment contractor shovel through your letterbox are toothless. If you have a job and are out during the day you'll never even have to close the door on one of their hired goons.

From my experience you can happily ignore them and go about your business.

Whilst I am sure that they do call, I have seen the videos, they have not called upon me.

I have received two "We called but you were out" cards in six years.  Each time I was in, working from home, and would have heard the bell or a knock (even if I ignored it; which I usually did when working form home on the grounds that I was at work and not to be interrupted). 

I have read that they are delivered by G4S on their meter reading rounds and they would probably get a huge scare if you opened the door when they were shoving one of those through it.

18 minutes ago, satch said:

Do you know how many are in the full set? With 24 you must be well on the way to a full set. Do you have any duplicates that you would be willing to swap? And I am particularly interested to know if there are any special commemorative editions for say the launch of BBC2 or Channel 5 or when the names of the channels changed. This year is the 60th anniversary of the name change from BBC Television Service to BBC TV so there must be at least a special stamp on the letter or envelope, although this was changed to BBC 1 in 1964. The letters will of course have more value to collectors if they are in pristine condition and mounted for display together with the associated envelope.

Check if you have the  world's largest collection with the Guinness Book of Records.

17 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Whilst I am sure that they do call, I have seen the videos, they have not called upon me.

I think it depends where you live. I cant see them bothering going to remote houses on the off chance someone is in and they sign the form saying they watch telly without a licence.

The success rate of TV evasion officers knocking on doors must be tiny.

With the virus I bet they can't do their job :)

4 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I think it depends where you live. I cant see them bothering going to remote houses on the off chance someone is in and they sign the form saying they watch telly without a licence.

The success rate of TV evasion officers knocking on doors must be tiny.

With the virus I bet they can't do their job :)

They can't, or couldn't.

I suggested people cancelling their licence back in March for just this reason; even if only for six months before buying one again as that's nearly £80 up.

Several people did try but the BBC systems were set up to make it near-impossible to do this.