DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

My daughter is at an age she where she requires a home pc to work from. I need something to handle GoPro footage of my paragliding - my imac was never upto the job.

Opinions please on.. 

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7042858

It's got a dedicated 6gb graphics card which I believe is essential and lots of ram (16gb).

Screenshot_20201024-122026_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by longtomsilver

Overpriced imho. And the 1660 is the low end card, though more than capable of handing homework! Depends on what you plan to use for editing or encoding the gopro footage... will it use the GPU? If its CPU only then can it multithread? Ryzen would give you much better bang for buck in the latter scenario.

https://www.cclonline.com/pc/gaming-pcs/pbm/ccl-knight-gx-gaming-pc/

4 minutes ago, Cosmic Apple said:

Overpriced imho. And the 1660 is the low end card, though more than capable of handing homework! Depends on what you plan to use for editing or encoding the gopro footage... will it use the GPU? If its CPU only then can it multithread? Ryzen would give you much better bang for buck in the latter scenario.

https://www.cclonline.com/pc/gaming-pcs/pbm/ccl-knight-gx-gaming-pc/

Thank you... you've already saved me £££s as this looks comparable.

It'll be a basic editor so I can cut and add music/titles/gps data.

7 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

Thank you... you've already saved me £££s as this looks comparable.

It'll be a basic editor so I can cut and add music/titles/gps data.

Check if it will get any advantage from the GPU, else you could save a packet and go for something with onboard GFX and a better CPU for crunching the render. You can always add a GPU later.

Also consider how much hard drive space you'll need to store your footage, a high capacity 3.5" drive is a fairly cheap addition.

23 minutes ago, Cosmic Apple said:

Check if it will get any advantage from the GPU, else you could save a packet and go for something with onboard GFX and a better CPU for crunching the render. You can always add a GPU later.

Also consider how much hard drive space you'll need to store your footage, a high capacity 3.5" drive is a fairly cheap addition.

I've got a 2tb internal drive. 

The onboard graphics on my imac put me off as required 11-14 hours to upload into the editing suite (granted it was old). 

As for graphics tools I was looking at Adobe(R) but it seems they want top money or a monthly subscription  😳

26 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

I've got a 2tb internal drive. 

The onboard graphics on my imac put me off as required 11-14 hours to upload into the editing suite (granted it was old). 

As for graphics tools I was looking at Adobe(R) but it seems they want top money or a monthly subscription  😳

What CPU was in the iMac? 

Was it one of these? :P

iMac G3: The Macintosh That Saved Apple – 512 Pixels

Looking at it GoPro Studio is probably entirely CPU... 

22 minutes ago, Cosmic Apple said:

What CPU was in the iMac? 

Was it one of these? :P

iMac G3: The Macintosh That Saved Apple – 512 Pixels

Looking at it GoPro Studio is probably entirely CPU... 

Haha that's close and AFAIK the one in the photo is collectable chic and fetches good money. 

Mine was the last imac w9tha  built in DVD write .. still an antique but it underperformed from the off.

I can't see that you're asking anything special from it.  Unless you're doing something very special, GPUs are for gaming.

I'd have thought any current 'cheap thing' would be fine (and would certainly be significantly faster than your iMac).  Given the graphics thing it would probably be sensible to not get a bargain-bucket 4gb and consider at least 8gb (which isn't much in this day and age).

You'd be fine with a laptop, I'd have thought.

If you want to do video editing then Kdenlive is free and pretty good for 'normal video stuff'.

14 minutes ago, Snark said:

If you want a reliable PC, NEVER share one with anyone else, and certainly not with the kids. My nephew is 12 and i've got 3 laptops on which he has either set and forgotten the bios password, or filled it with malware to the point where it can't be saved and needs wiping.

This is right.  Computers are cheap enough nowadays* to get one each.

For younger kids I'd suggest a Chromebook -- they're more difficult to bork and are easier to manage re. virus etc stuff.  This won't work with older children as teachers these days can't imagine that alternatives to Microsoft even exist when they set homework.

[* by some strange twist of fate I have in front of me a Sharp MZ-80B, a pretty standard computer from when I started computing.  This cost about £1100 in 1981, or about £4k in today's money.  Computers these days are pretty much free in comparison]

Unless a gaming PC is needed, I would suggest a refurbished Dell Optiplex 980 SFF for doing work stuff, I use one a as server, it's been running 24/7 for the last 2 years, sits in my garage, access via remote desktop, core i5 8GB, no good for gaming (generic Intel GFX), but for work stuff it'd be perfect. Only cost me £120, that's basically free.

57 minutes ago, Snark said:

Unless a gaming PC is needed, I would suggest a refurbished Dell Optiplex 980 SFF for doing work stuff, I use one a as server, it's been running 24/7 for the last 2 years, sits in my garage, access via remote desktop, core i5 8GB, no good for gaming (generic Intel GFX), but for work stuff it'd be perfect. Only cost me £120, that's basically free.

I've had a lot of luck with refurbished. They are just off-lease machines that have been sat in an office for the last three years.

This sort of thing

https://www.dellrefurbished.co.uk/item/dell-optiplex-3040-mt-000001/dell-optiplex-3040-mt/1.html

Would have to chuck a GPU in it. Then I bet it's good for ten more years.

1 minute ago, Bandit Banzai said:

I've had a lot of luck with refurbished. They are just off-lease machines that have been sat in an office for the last three years.

Yes.

Decades ago you had to get a new pc every few years just to keep up with requirements.

These days a 5ish year old PC will be able to do everything that is wanted to be done.

I pretty much only buy corporate refresh machines.

4 hours ago, longtomsilver said:

My daughter is at an age she where she requires a home pc to work from. I need something to handle GoPro footage of my paragliding - my imac was never upto the job.

Opinions please on..

As you are on bennies, can't you apply for something free for home schooling due to the plague?

Go DIY with a Ryzen 3100, that thing is cheap and yet goes like 'shit off a stick'....

Compare it with some other chips ie

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-Ryzen-3-3100-vs-AMD-Ryzen-3-PRO-3200G/3715vs3570

and it's only £94 here

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/amd-ryzen-3-3100-am4-zen-2-4-core-8-thread-36ghz-base-39ghz-turbo-18mb-cache-pcie-40-65w-cpu

gEUAA8xJx58cQvy9RDeQMb-1920-80.jpg

47 minutes ago, Mr Miyagi said:

AMD are launching new CPUs and graphics cards next month, maybe wait until they are out and the older perfectly capable generation stuff should be discounted a bit.  

Something I keep on telling son#1 about, yet he keeps on and on about wanting a new <gaming bit> right now.

6 minutes ago, Mr Miyagi said:

What is he after? 

God knows.  He rants on about everything between a s/h 980Ti and a new 1660.  I suppose I'll look into it at some point and let him spend his cash.

I'd prefer it if he 'trained his delayed gratification' and waited until after Christmas, but his rantings are getting painful and I might yet succumb.

Edited by dgul
6 minutes ago, dgul said:

God knows.  He rants on about everything between a s/h 980Ti and a new 1660.  I suppose I'll look into it at some point and let him spend his cash.

I'd prefer it if he 'trained his delayed gratification' and waited until after Christmas, but his rantings are getting painful and I might yet succumb.

If you can stretch to £400 a AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT would be a good bet, it may get reduced a bit next month. 

1 hour ago, Mr Miyagi said:

If you can stretch to £400 a AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT would be a good bet, it may get reduced a bit next month. 

There's no way I'm spending that much on gaming -- I'm trying to teach him to be an adult, not keep him as a child.

I've set a spend limit of £100 for him for now, and will up it when he can explain to me how it is a necessary expenditure (I think it'll end up costing up to about £200*, but if I told him that '£200 was a reasonable expenditure on gaming' then he'd end up asking for a £400 card).

The purpose of this exercise is to explore three concepts**:

• Waiting for seasonal effects might be a cost effective strategy
  • Understand the nature of diminishing returns and how 'not the best' might actually be quite close to 'the best'
  • Understand the psychology of 'feature/price creep' -- It is seductive to think that you'll get 'better' by spending a little more, but if you let yourself be seduced by this you'll end up spending a lot more.

I'll probably only manage to get one or two of those through to him -- but there'll be more opportunities.

[* well, I've already broken the 'price creep' lesson -- this one is about 'sometimes you've just got to spend the money to get what is needed]

[** he, of course, is largely unaware of my motives]

16 minutes ago, dgul said:

There's no way I'm spending that much on gaming -- I'm trying to teach him to be an adult, not keep him as a child.

I've set a spend limit of £100 for him for now, and will up it when he can explain to me how it is a necessary expenditure (I think it'll end up costing up to about £200*, but if I told him that '£200 was a reasonable expenditure on gaming' then he'd end up asking for a £400 card).

The purpose of this exercise is to explore three concepts**:

• Waiting for seasonal effects might be a cost effective strategy
  • Understand the nature of diminishing returns and how 'not the best' might actually be quite close to 'the best'
  • Understand the psychology of 'feature/price creep' -- It is seductive to think that you'll get 'better' by spending a little more, but if you let yourself be seduced by this you'll end up spending a lot more.

I'll probably only manage to get one or two of those through to him -- but there'll be more opportunities.

[* well, I've already broken the 'price creep' lesson -- this one is about 'sometimes you've just got to spend the money to get what is needed]

[** he, of course, is largely unaware of my motives]

I may get one of the new AMD cards next month if so I'll have a vega 56 for sale that I could do you a deal on.

4 hours ago, dgul said:

I'm trying to teach him to be an adult, not keep him as a child.

Set him a computer budget of say £100 every 6 months. How he spends it is up to him.

If he busts the budget and wants more, keep saying no until your tongue bleeds. He'll learn double fast.