DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Films that wouldn't be made today

After a post by @Roger_Mellie about "American Pie" and "Overboard" both containing crimes that would see characters banged up quicker than you could say #MeToo, can we come up with a list of films that wouldn't be made today due to the premise being unpalatable?

I'm generally interested in much-loved films rather than stuff that was borderline banned 50 years ago. 

For each example, can you please list:

- the film

- the year that it came out (so we can see how society has changed)

- the incident(s) that would be considered a crime today

I'll start with @Roger_Mellie's examples. 

Overboard (1987)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overboard_(1987_film)

A man effectively abducts a woman with amnesia and forces her to look after his kids / house. 

American Pie (1999)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Pie_(film)

A teen sets up a webcam in his room to spy on a girl getting undressed and sends the link to the entire area. 

13 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

I'll start with @Roger_Mellie's examples. 

Overboard (1987)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overboard_(1987_film)

A man effectively abducts a woman with amnesia and forces her to look after his kids / house. 

American Pie (1999)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Pie_(film)

A teen sets up a webcam in his room to spy on a girl getting undressed and sends the link to the entire area. 

Errr... Good thread aside from the fact that Overboard WAS remade recently. But, you guessed it, male and female roles reversed. 

In the current climate Kurt Russel would get 15 years in prison. She'd get probation. 

Any of the 1980’s action films set in Afghanistan. I’m thinking Rambo, The Living Daylights, The Jewel of the Nile etc.

The local Afghans (mujahideen, basically the Taliban) are consistently portrayed as “noble freedom fighters” pushing back against Russian aggression. It is quite clear, they are a helpful, friendly bunch who would “go the extra mile” for any Westerner in trouble!

Rambo gets lecture from local tourist guide
007 joins Taliban

2 minutes ago, Rowley said:

Any of the 1980’s action films set in Afghanistan. I’m thinking Rambo, The Living Daylights, The Jewel of the Nile etc.

The local Afghans (mujahideen, basically the Taliban) are consistently portrayed as “noble freedom fighters” pushing back against Russian aggression. It is quite clear, they are a helpful, friendly bunch who would “go the extra mile” for any Westerner in trouble!

Rambo gets lecture from local tourist guide
007 joins Taliban

I was amazed that at the end of Rambo 3 there is a dedication to 'Our friends: The mujahideen' before the end credits roll. 

43 minutes ago, Rowley said:

Last century if the Taliban caught anyone growing opium they would chop their hands off.....only reversed that decision when the Yankees invaded in order to get money, to buy arms, to repel the infidels :P

Zulu without a doubt. 1964.

How many levels would it be despised.

Colonialism. The portrayal of black men as the enemy in loin clothes and throwing spears. The class issue with Chard and Bromhead. That the British won.

Stanley Bakers artistic licence against history. 

We would be without the classic scene during the main battle, with the rifles all pulled to one wall after a successful dummy to make that defence appear weak.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.f7c37ad7ed27739bdc31c686586fb59f.jpg

1 hour ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Rita, Sue and Bob too. 

One of my favourites as a young teen, a comedy. Now I'm older I can't see anything funny in it. Apart from this scene with Black Lace, which I still like:

I sometimes walk around mthe House singing this to embarrass my kids. 

"I can't get an 'ardon". 

2 hours ago, 5min OCD speculator said:

Any Carry On film.......but that's not necessarily a bad thing....

108378.jpg?quality=90&resize=561,374

In their late sixties to mid seventies heyday they were very good IMO.

Screaming, Behind, Camping, Abroad and Khyber are all very watchable. 

Don't lose your head, Henry and Dick were ok as was the Bernard Cribbins / Juliette Mills navy one.

The black and white early films, the hospital ones, and the two late ones, Emmanuel and Columbus, were poor IMO.

1 hour ago, Royston said:

I'm just glad I've got an original uncensored copy of probably my favourite film of all time... The Dam Busters.

That adds an interesting sideline. Do the BFI / AFI have the originals in their archives (the film's they deem to be of specific importance) or do they replace them with the woke versions as and when required?