DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Bankers and CEOs to be exempted from UK quarantine rules

City dealmakers, hedge fund managers and company bosses flying into the UK will be exempt from the 14-day quarantine period under plans to “promote global Britain”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/seven-day-covid-quarantine-and-none-for-jet-set-hcwzs9prr

The Tories have really gone full Tory lately, getting like the poll tax times when Thatcher thought she was invincible and didn't need to worry about what the little people thought.

To be fair there are hundreds of classes of exemptions and the fake news is just selectively writing about this one. So many exemptions in fact that surely just about anyone ought to be able to claim it if they were to bother.

8 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

To be fair there are hundreds of classes of exemptions and the fake news is just selectively writing about this one. So many exemptions in fact that surely just about anyone ought to be able to claim it if they were to bother.

Saying just about anyone is already exempt is a big exaggeration: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-travellers-exempt-from-uk-border-rules/coronavirus-covid-19-travellers-exempt-from-uk-border-rules

It pretty much boils down to diplomats, people who are in charge of transporting things in and out of the UK, essential infrastructure workers, film and TV production, top sports players.

2 minutes ago, Darude said:

Saying just about anyone is already exempt is a big exaggeration

C'mon man, "Postal Workers", "IT and telecoms workers", "People engaged in urgent or essential work on electronic communications networks."

I'm in the Thames Valley and most people in my social circle work in some sort of essential IT. 

I'm an IT bloke and had no problem being officially exempt when I came back from Spain not too long ago. As @ccc regularly points out though the unofficial exemption is open to literally anyone who goes for it.

8 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

C'mon man, "Postal Workers", "IT and telecoms workers", "People engaged in urgent or essential work on electronic communications networks."

I'm in the Thames Valley and most people in my social circle work in some sort of essential IT. 

I'm an IT bloke and had no problem being officially exempt when I came back from Spain not too long ago. As @ccc regularly points out though the unofficial exemption is open to literally anyone who goes for it.

Okay so you qualified as an essential IT worker, but despite the fact that your social circle includes a lot of them the vast majority of people are not essential IT workers and won't qualify e.g. which postal workers qualify? It's not Doris behind the post office counter at the corner shop or Bill the postie who does your street on his morning round:

Postal workers

Applies to:

Postal workers involved in the transport of mail into and out of the UK.

Edited by Darude
3 hours ago, Funn3r said:

So if this is the case it begs the questions a) how effective is the current ruling, and b) why are they still trying to keep up the pretence?

Everyone should self-exempt on the grounds of "It distresses me mentally to wear a mask". The government will then have one of two options:

1. Drop their absurd approach or

2. Request doctors examine and supply exemption certificates.

They will not do the former as they lack the courage to `lose face`, and cannot do the latter as it contradicts their `Save the NHS` narrative.

4 hours ago, Funn3r said:

To be fair I'm not doing the unofficial exemption card. 

I'm just ignoring the laws full stop. 

:Old:

4 hours ago, Funn3r said:

Another of @WorkingPoor's excuses gone then. 

4 hours ago, Darude said:

Okay so you qualified as an essential IT worker, but despite the fact that your social circle includes a lot of them the vast majority of people are not essential IT workers and won't qualify e.g. which postal workers qualify? It's not Doris behind the post office counter at the corner shop or Bill the postie who does your street on his morning round:

Postal workers

Applies to:

Postal workers involved in the transport of mail into and out of the UK.

Ok. Scrap my last post.