DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Oil Tanker Hijack - Nave Andromeda

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think I have spoken before of my mate from Ringwood, Hampshire, who joined the Merchant Navy to "see the World". His first posting was on an oil tanker sailing between Portsmouth, Southampton and th

There’s a possibility a group of somalians crossing the Chanel in a dingy could resist reverting to old habbits when they spoted it

Military called in.  Good.  I hope they get this sorted out soon. One rule re. immigration should be that you must never have threatened anyone with violence as part of your migratory activities.

13 minutes ago, eight said:

I think I have spoken before of my mate from Ringwood, Hampshire, who joined the Merchant Navy to "see the World". His first posting was on an oil tanker sailing between Portsmouth, Southampton and the IOW. About the twentieth time the boat docked in Portsmouth he got off, walked home, and never went back.

Why? I would have thought the Merchant Navy would be a handy number.  A bit of work at the beginning and end of the journey but put your feet up in between?

14 minutes ago, eight said:

I think I have spoken before of my mate from Ringwood, Hampshire, who joined the Merchant Navy to "see the World". His first posting was on an oil tanker sailing between Portsmouth, Southampton and the IOW. About the twentieth time the boat docked in Portsmouth he got off, walked home, and never went back.

I worked with a guy who chose the RAF for his national service because he wanted to fly and see the world. He spent his entire service life working underground at radar sites and the only time he left the UK mainland was when he was stationed in Unst. He went by boat 🥴

12 minutes ago, Option5 said:

I worked with a guy who chose the RAF for his national service because he wanted to fly and see the world. He spent his entire service life working underground at radar sites and the only time he left the UK mainland was when he was stationed in Unst. He went by boat 🥴

Had a friend who went in the navy with the intention of seeing the world, did his seven and got out. I remember him talking a kid out of joining as "You won't see the world. You'll see every dockside bar in the world".

20 minutes ago, eight said:

Dunno, but he's a chef now, so clearly a glutton for punishment.

Funny that, a friend of mine is the longest-serving chef in the Merchant Navy. 50 year's service, has seen the world, been everywhere.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/news/2020/september/30/200930-cardigan-bay-chef-nears-50-years-service-in-the-rfa

Navy chef’s record-breaking half century in the galley

30 September 2020

A Navy chef is on the verge of making history – 50 years of cooking for fellow sailors and Royal Marines.

Chief Petty Officer Martin Etwell from Newbury is believed to be the first person in the 115-year history of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary – whose ships support Royal Navy operations around the globe – to reach the milestone.

The 65-year-old, currently serving in the Gulf aboard RFA Cardigan Bay, has spent 49 years working in ship’s galleys – mostly at sea.

17 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

Had a friend who went in the navy with the intention of seeing the world, did his seven and got out. I remember him talking a kid out of joining as "You won't see the world. You'll see every dockside bar in the world".

I have a friend who is an engineer of the lovely airy-planes used by the reech and famous. He's seen millions of airport hangers.  He is not allowed to say who he meets 99.9% of the time.

23 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

So I'm maybe being a bit dumb here - but what's the downside ? :Old:

24 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

Sounds like my trip to Dublin.

London City to Dublin, taxi to the docks (tax haven), six hours straight through on financial reinsurance arrangements with sandwiches for lunch but no break, taxi back to airport, two pints of Guinness before the plane, London City.

That remains my only trip to Ireland or NI.

I did pass the football ground in the taxi.