DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Covid liberty day 7th November?

Remembrance Sunday is the 8th November this year, and is a time when people show their respect for those who made a sacrifice for our liberty.

Perhaps the UK population need to remind our current politicians of this the day before they make their (what can in the current context be viewed as shallow) gestures of appreciation at the Cenotaph on Sunday?....

...might a two minutes silence the day before at the 11th hour on doorsteps or High streets throughout the UK be a respectful reminder, and something they couldn't ignore?

37 minutes ago, MrXxxx said:

Remembrance Sunday is the 8th November this year, and is a time when people show their respect for those who made a sacrifice for our liberty.

Perhaps the UK population need to remind our current politicians of this the day before they make their (what can in the current context be viewed as shallow) gestures of appreciation at the Cenotaph on Sunday?....

...might a two minutes silence the day before at the 11th hour on doorsteps or High streets throughout the UK be a respectful reminder, and something they couldn't ignore?

Remembrance Sunday is an irrelevance. 11th of the 11th at 11am is when we remember.  

52 minutes ago, One percent said:

Remembrance Sunday is an irrelevance. 11th of the 11th at 11am is when we remember.  

Disagree, Remembrance Sunday is formal recognition of those who made a contribution and important so as not to forget our history/the 'ravages of war', Remembrance Day is for informal/private reflection of (and to remember) those who made a contribution/were lost......although I can 'see' what you are saying.

Just now, MrXxxx said:

Disagree, Remembrance Sunday is formal recognition of those who made a contribution and important so as not to forget our history/the 'ravages of war', Remembrance Day is for informal/private reflection of (and to remember) those who made a contribution/were lost......although I can 'see' what you are saying.

My understanding was that remembrance was always observed on remembrance day. It was ‘moved’ to the Sunday so as not to disrupt business. 

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

My understanding was that remembrance was always observed on remembrance day. It was ‘moved’ to the Sunday so as not to disrupt business. 

The 11/11/11 was originally to "recall the end of hostilities of First World War on that date in 1918", Remembrance Sunday is to formally recognise the contribution of those in all 'Theatres of war'

37 minutes ago, One percent said:

It was. I clearly remember being at home, in a shop etc when the two minute silence was announced at 11am on 11th nov regardless of the day of the week.

I’m not sure when it changed to Remembrance Sunday.

14 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

It was. I clearly remember being at home, in a shop etc when the two minute silence was announced at 11am on 11th nov regardless of the day of the week.

I’m not sure when it changed to Remembrance Sunday.

It hasn't changed @One percent All's well in Blighty :)

There is still a two minute silence on Armistice Day, Nov 11, at 11.00 am, it's just that most people ignore it.

There is also a 2 minute silence on Rembrance Sunday, the second sunday in November. I expect most people usually ignore that too, except for this special year to Remember  a Chinese virus.

5 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

There is still a two minute silence on Armistice Day, Nov 11, at 11.00 am, it's just that most people ignore it.

There is also a 2 minute silence on Rembrance Sunday, the second sunday in November. I expect most people usually ignore that too, except for this special year to Remember  a Chinese virus.

I’m not sure I would go that far. o.O

12 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Ta. I just haven’t noticed it over the years. While I have a mixture of respect and horror for the suffering of those who fought and died in the wars I don’t personally have any close family who died. The suffering of ordinary people in war situations often comes to mind. I don’t need a special day to remember or think about it.

Edited by Van Lady
1 minute ago, Van Lady said:

Ta. I just haven’t noticed it over the years. While I have a mixture of respect and horror for the suffering of those who fought and died in the wars I don’t personally have any close family who died. The suffering of ordinary people in war situations often comes to mind. I don’t need a special day to remember or think about it.

I’ll differ with you there. It’s not that we personally need a special day but it is part of our collective heritage and we need to hold onto every single shred of it in light of the attacks against it. 

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

I’ll differ with you there. It’s not that we personally need a special day but it is part of our collective heritage and we need to hold onto every single shred of it in light of the attacks against it. 

That’s fine if people attend remembrance services but I don’t and probably never will.

For years there have been a couple of pages with pics of Remembrance Sunday gatherings throughout the region. Very small gatherings in the pics. Report in local rag last week politely asking people to not attend due to Covid restrictions, safety etc so there will only be a few folk at the remembrance gatherings.

Perhaps you’re right that we should fight back by going out our way to attend such gatherings but unfortunately it’s disallowed this year.

Just now, Van Lady said:

That’s fine if people attend remembrance services but I don’t and probably never will.

For years there have been a couple of pages with pics of Remembrance Sunday gatherings throughout the region. Very small gatherings in the pics. Report in local rag last week politely asking people to not attend due to Covid restrictions, safety etc so there will only be a few folk at the remembrance gatherings.

Perhaps you’re right that we should fight back by going out our way to attend such gatherings but unfortunately it’s disallowed this year.

Exactly my point. I’m now convinced that Covid is a political play.  

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Exactly my point. I’m now convinced that Covid is a political play.  

It’s got nothing to do with the health of the population, in my opinion. I’m certain of that. 

Destroying everyday social interactions, draconian restrictions etc will not promote health in the population.

I’m undecided if it’s incompetence or malevolent. Currently thinking a mixture of both.

43 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

I think it's important to have it as a reminder of the horrors of war, so the same mistakes are not made again....although `man` is not very good at the latter!

32 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

Perhaps you’re right that we should fight back by going out our way to attend such gatherings but unfortunately it’s disallowed this year

No, this is why I suggest the Saturday...to politicise the Sunday would make `you` as bad as the politicians and leave the gesture open to criticism by the very same people/hypocrites.

I am not keen on the 1 or 2 minute silences for things. I was in Morrison's coffee shop on September 11 the year after the twin towers attack and they had a silence for that. Didn't seem to matter again the following year. There's too much pick and choose of what qualifies for a silence and if we had silences for everything bad then we'd never get anything done.

I was on an Easyjet flight last Nov 11 with official departure time at 10:55 and I wondered if we were going to get a silence. Didn't though.