DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Matthew McConaughey: Philosophy, Films, Trump (Not your typical Hollywood actor)

Just got this link in my YT feed:

Matthew McConaughey combines a few things that ‘makes me tick’:  his philosophy and the way he approaches life, his support (albeit ‘very guarded’) for Trump, his character and values, and last but not least some brilliant brilliant films.

So I am starting a thread on all things Matthew McConaughey - a tribute to a great actor who (I think) is a ‘little different’ to the usual Hollywood brigade.

Feel free to post any relevant YT links. I have his new book ‘Green Lights’ on my Xmas list.

9 minutes ago, maynardgravy said:

He's an actor. Why should I give a toss what he thinks either way?

No one ever come up to me and says 'awsome solo... what do you think about Boris?'

Then again, they're more likely to ask me about Boris than say 'Awsome solo...' :D

Why are you posting these thoughts above?  - as if you are right no one should give a toss about what YOU think either. 

Don’t bother replying as I’m more interested in philosophy, politics and films related to MM than your thoughts. 

Edited by Vendetta
1 hour ago, Vendetta said:

Why are you posting these thoughts above?  - as if you are right no one should give a toss about what YOU think either. 

Don’t bother replying as I’m more interested in philosophy, politics and films related to MM than your thoughts. 

It's a forum dear  calm down. The point stands. Why actors? The lowest of the arts... after rap.

32 minutes ago, maynardgravy said:

It's a forum dear  calm down. The point stands. Why actors? The lowest of the arts... after rap.

Haha - only joshing @maynardgravy. My reply did come across as a bit arsey - apologies...

Seriously - I think you make the point yourself - most actors are left wing, SJW, self serving hypocritical twats who live a life of greed and hypocrisy spouting on about climate change etc... who have nothing to say - or if they do I’m not interested. 

Matthew McConaughey is (I think) a ‘rare’ exception to the rule. He appears to be your ‘modern day Paul Newman’....

I’ve seen his films and without exception they are all brilliant, I’ve also now discovered he doesn’t just slag Trump off but what he says (I think) appears ‘intelligent, thoughtful and insightful’ ....

Maybe he is a twat - however on the surface he seems a decent enough bloke and when he ‘philosophises’ I actually agree with his approach...

Edited by Vendetta
14 minutes ago, maynardgravy said:

Because he's famous. If he were a run of the mill lawyer no one would give a monkeys.

I'd probably agree with lots he has to say, but I don't listen to De Niro, Streep etc. either, so it cuts both ways.

image.png.947c58c483ba74fc51e676fba61ded4e.png

You and I don’t listen to De Niro, Pacino and Streep because (even though they make good films) they are twats.... who spout SJW snowflake shite and are partly responsible for where we are ....

Edited by Vendetta

Actually, my point, which may have got lost, is about the interviewer, not MM. If I'm honest I'd probably have more than a passing interest in hearing what he had to say (as he said himself) in a more honest environment. 

He is still only an actor though. The reverence they receive for pretending is OTT IMO. 

I have no interest in his opinions or anything but I did watch the first series of True Detective recently and enjoyed it a lot.

I think I recall a few years back he said he was sick of doing rom-coms and other pap and wanted more serious roles. Hence Dallas Buyers Club and various other more high brow parts in the last few years

He was excellent in the 2001 movie, Frailty.

With the late Bill Paxton (Aliens/Twister), he turns in a chilling performance.

It was early in his career and he made a good choice here.

Its a 7.2 on IMDb.

I won't say anymore as it is a must watch. Just dont read too much about it before if you have never seen it.

His politics generally? Dont give a hoot.