Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Doing my bit for the UK trade deficit


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bought an electric radiator yesterday. Researching the options and all the marketing pushes you towards German-made ones, bigging up their engineering quality etc. We'll, I made the effort to do a bit

On the commercial front my Mrs* always makes sure British contractors have first bite of the cherry in terms of work at her factories.  Yesterday a £12K contract went out to local firm to install

My yomp from Goose Green to Stroud Hill was clearly wasted on the likes of you.

Posted Images

I'm making for of an effort to do the same.  Recently an Ideal boiler, actually pretty impressed, according to plumber very easy to work on and reliable too, though they all pretty much have limited work life thanks to condensing design.

Worcester Bosch have the name but they also have an increasingly bad reputation.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, onlyme said:

I'm making for of an effort to do the same.  Recently an Ideal boiler, actually pretty impressed, according to plumber very easy to work on and reliable too, though they all pretty much have limited work life thanks to condensing design.

Worcester Bosch have the name but they also have an increasingly bad reputation.

 

If you want a reliable old boiler (no wife jokes please) then get hold of a Glow-worm. I had one in my last house, at least 30 years old (my model was last manufactured in 1991) and extremely reliable. Only needed a new thermocouple every few years (about £10 a pop) - and that was just preventative maintenance, could probably have let it go longer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, the gardener said:

If you want a reliable old boiler (no wife jokes please) then get hold of a Glow-worm. I had one in my last house, at least 30 years old (my model was last manufactured in 1991) and extremely reliable. Only needed a new thermocouple every few years (about £10 a pop) - and that was just preventative maintenance, could probably have let it go longer. 

Had an old Baxi, pretty much the same, heavy, cast iron, built to last and be serviced. New boilers are a different breed, lightweight, thermally very efficient but paper thin internals as a result partly of their efficiency. Best you can hope for is you don't suffer any expensive electronic / sensor (often repeat) repairs during its short life.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm doing my bit too; needed a new pair of work shoes and they arrived this morning. Solovair Gibson and they are very comfortable already. Their boots are well made too and the prices are reasonable for UK made footwear. 25 years ago I used to wear Church's shoes and they cost £200 then but are £500 now so makes my £155 spend a comparative bargain. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, the gardener said:

If you want a reliable old boiler (no wife jokes please) then get hold of a Glow-worm. I had one in my last house, at least 30 years old (my model was last manufactured in 1991) and extremely reliable. Only needed a new thermocouple every few years (about £10 a pop) - and that was just preventative maintenance, could probably have let it go longer. 

Had mine serviced once in 7 years think my new one is ideal

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

I'm doing my bit too; needed a new pair of work shoes and they arrived this morning. Solovair Gibson and they are very comfortable already. Their boots are well made too and the prices are reasonable for UK made footwear. 25 years ago I used to wear Church's shoes and they cost £200 then but are £500 now so makes my £155 spend a comparative bargain. 

£200 for a pair of shoes was a lot 25 years ago. If you could have got some Solovair Gibson's or equivalent, the £138 saved could have gone into divi shares!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, onlyme said:

Had an old Baxi, pretty much the same, heavy, cast iron, built to last and be serviced. New boilers are a different breed, lightweight, thermally very efficient but paper thin internals as a result partly of their efficiency. Best you can hope for is you don't suffer any expensive electronic / sensor (often repeat) repairs during its short life.

The house my parents lived in until a few years ago had an Ideal Mexico boiler - I remember them having it installed when I was a kid sometime in the mid/late 80s! Still going strong when they moved out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, the gardener said:

If you want a reliable old boiler (no wife jokes please) then get hold of a Glow-worm. I had one in my last house, at least 30 years old (my model was last manufactured in 1991) and extremely reliable. Only needed a new thermocouple every few years (about £10 a pop) - and that was just preventative maintenance, could probably have let it go longer. 

Yes, I've got a Glow-worm. It was in the place when I bought it in 1989 so it must have been there since the place was built about 10 years before. It just works.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 29/10/2020 at 09:14, onlyme said:

I'm making for of an effort to do the same.  Recently an Ideal boiler, actually pretty impressed, according to plumber very easy to work on and reliable too, though they all pretty much have limited work life thanks to condensing design.

Worcester Bosch have the name but they also have an increasingly bad reputation.

 

Yep I've got a Worcester boiler and we are awaiting a replacement heat exchanger...probably 600 quid were it not for a contract ( so perhaps 60 quid excess). The irony is the servicer 3 months ago was eulogising about the thing...the creme de le creme, the ferrari of boilers. Even the chap who came today and ordered the part for tomorrow said that's the boiler he wanted and the breakdown was a "coincidence". Not a great start with the " inherited" Worcester ( 7 years old), but heating engineers seem to like them.  Had an Ideal Boiler in the past and they are reliable.20201210_142428.thumb.jpg.20ecdcf31731b772610357acc2e36fdc.jpg

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Yep I've got a Worcester boiler and we are awaiting a replacement heat exchanger...probably 600 quid were it not for a contract ( so perhaps 60 quid excess). The irony is the servicer 3 months ago was eulogising about the thing...the creme de le creme, the ferrari of boilers. Even the chap who came today and ordered the part for tomorrow said that's the boiler he wanted and the breakdown was a "coincidence". Not a great start with the " inherited" Worcester ( 7 years old), but heating engineers seem to like them.  Had an Ideal Boiler in the past and they are reliable.20201210_142428.thumb.jpg.20ecdcf31731b772610357acc2e36fdc.jpg

 

 

Apparently they are not that easy to work on either - so maybe their popularity is basically down to familiarity with installers when installing and servicing - which to be fair does count for a lot. My plumber said go for what you like, I supplied it and was more than fine with an Ideal that I managed to get a good deal on Ebay.

I think a condensing boiler you are probably looking at a 10 year service life nowadays, the Ideal came with an extended 10 year guarantee and plumber was talking about Worcester Bosch extending theirs - maybe they have been suffering a bit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, onlyme said:

Apparently they are not that easy to work on either - so maybe their popularity is basically down to familiarity with installers when installing and servicing - which to be fair does count for a lot. My plumber said go for what you like, I supplied it and was more than fine with an Ideal that I managed to get a good deal on Ebay.

I think a condensing boiler you are probably looking at a 10 year service life nowadays, the Ideal came with an extended 10 year guarantee and plumber was talking about Worcester Bosch extending theirs - maybe they have been suffering a bit.

I have still got my 1988 Glow-worm, had a new burner, gas control valve and igniter in 32 years.

Don't give a fuck that it has a pilot light because the damn thing is great.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, onlyme said:

 

I think a condensing boiler you are probably looking at a 10 year service life nowadays, the Ideal came with an extended 10 year guarantee and plumber was talking about Worcester Bosch extending theirs - maybe they have been suffering a bit.

To be fair to the modern boilers, the old ones had both cast iron heat exchangers (which last forever but take a long time to heat up and thus are no-good for on-demand) and shoved all the corrosive nasties out of the flue (which condense in a condenser boiler and cause problems with the now-more-delicate heat exchanger).

Even so, you'd have thought that the industry would be more honest about what you get these days (longevity), and would be more cost-efficient in replacing what are effectively service parts.

Edited by dgul
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

I have still got my 1988 Glow-worm, had a new burner, gas control valve and igniter in 32 years.

Don't give a fuck that it has a pilot light because the damn thing is great.

I've got one of those too, even older, about 1980 I think. Bloody brilliant. I wonder are there any still left in the back of a warehouse somewhere or have they all been grabbed by plumbers for their own use.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/10/2020 at 09:14, onlyme said:

I'm making for of an effort to do the same.  Recently an Ideal boiler, actually pretty impressed, according to plumber very easy to work on and reliable too, though they all pretty much have limited work life thanks to condensing design.

Worcester Bosch have the name but they also have an increasingly bad reputation.

 

I installed a Glowworm (made in Derby) this summer. 4th one I have fitted in 24 years. Always straight fwd to install and never had any issues. 

RE Condensing design issues an engineer told me the main reason for the failure is stop start nature of them and contract and expansion process . Better to run the boiler  at low speed for whole heating period each day. 

Also in my case I turn the boiler off from may to September as the solar does all the work. 

Hoping to extend its life and defer the £15K investment in a GSHP:ph34r:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Similar Content

    • By Made in Great Britain
      Would you be prepared to pay more if you knew the product was Made in Britain or UK? 
      Products cost more to be made in this country because we pay a minimum wage, and the materials are becoming more ethically sourced and sustainable. Our craftspeople train to learn skills to make quality British built to last items. They will outlast many overseas cheap throwaway items. 
      Would you feel better wearing clothing that had the label Made in Britain, Made in UK, Made in England? It was once common to see these on many items. Take a look at the label inside your clothes right now. Which country was it made in?
      You can find British made products of all types here. https://madeingreatbritain.uk/british-business-directory/find-british-made-products
       
    • By the gardener
      I've been having fun diverting as much as possible of my spending away from EU-produced or EU-owned companies.  So far this week I have favoured:
      1) Remington (US owned) shaver over Braun
      2) Colgate (US owned, manufactured in China or Japan) electric toothbrush over Oral B (Braun)
      3) Bought a £700+ laptop from a non-EU-whining-remainer company - John Lewis lost the sale because of some shitty remarks from the CEO over Brexit.  Also avoided a few other Remoaning companies for the same thing.
      4) Decided against buying a Kia Sportage when I replace my current car next March.  Kia itself is fine but they make the Sportage in Slovakia so that's off my list.  When making this purchase the main criteria is that it must not be made in the EU and also not made by a French or German owned company - so that's VW group and Peugeot Citroen out.
       
      I am rather enjoying this.
       
      Starve the EU beast.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...