DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I find solace in whisky, and wanking meself off. I don't think I've ever been happier in my entire life...   XYY

The covid holiday has been a useful time to learn a lot of new practical skills.  Starting a number of new projects requiring new skills has been a fantastic opportunity.  I always wanted to learn how

Back In February, the future seemed unknown with COVID. Work..life...lockdown..infection..death..all there. It was clear for many life was going to be turned upside down in so many ways.

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, The Grey Man said:

This period will be difficult. Crap weather..dark...limited social.contacts for many...limited going out experiences I suspect

It's going to be grim.  No ideas other than similar to yours, keep grinding along, try and make the most of it and see what happens

It's a grim wasteland for entertainment at the moment. TV is shite, movies are shite, and all this comes at the end of a year where most of the fun stuff outside the house has been shut down (holidays, pubs, concerts etc) and we're already sick of indoor distractions.

I'm trying to rekindle an interest in gaming, though I'm well past the age where it all feels a bit pointless. Model building + painting is an activity I frequently fall back on when nerves are frayed. I've got backlog of second-hand books that need reading and will force myself to keep going out for walks.

The next four months are going to be shit though.

4 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

I find solace in whisky, and wanking meself off.

I don't think I've ever been happier in my entire life...

XYY

A lot of people spend too many hours working for the sake of it to realise that!

Anybody that gets bored there's a few lifetimes's worth of stuff I can think of that needs doing with this place and the accumulated "projects" waiting to get done.

Well,

I plan to build a smoker from an old 4 drawer filing cabinet. Cladding it with timber, making a door. Should take about a week. It'll look OK in the garden when finished. Will be smoking meat over winter and fish over summer.

Will go out for a walk most days averaging about 6-8 miles, some days quite a bit more some a litle less.

Will try to get in the sea for a swim whenever possible.

While out in the fresh air I will be trying to dream up a new line of work (income) that will hopefully replace the work lost to Covid

Low priority, for when desperate. I need to do something about the emulsioned interior house walls. It's not been decorated inside for 25 years and is looking a bit grubby, in the living room for starters the walls are a bit splashed with crab and lobster and the kitchen, looks like an abattoir..... Don't plan to repaint as it's a rental so have bought some Mangers sugar soap in anticipation of nothing better to do and will wash them.

TV is not an option

Edited by Hopeful

Feel similar to a lot of you. Lots of dark, boring days ahead. Only solace for me is getting to the gym for a couple of hours 4 or 5 times a week. If the gym shuts...........

Beyond that, i had spent months planning a tour of the Greek Islands for Summer 2020, all now planned for June/July 2021. If it looks like that isn't going to happen, things are getting really grim. Scotland has hills and lochs and that, but one looks much like the other and the weather is generally shit. The thought of not getting away from it for ANOTHER year gives me the heebie jeebies :(:CryBaby::o

1 hour ago, Hopeful said:

Well,

I plan to build a smoker from an old 4 drawer filing cabinet. Cladding it with timber, making a door. Should take about a week. It'll look OK in the garden when finished. Will be smoking meat over winter and fish over summer.

Will go out for a walk most days averaging about 6-8 miles, some days quite a bit more some a litle less.

Will try to get in the sea for a swim whenever possible.

While out in the fresh air I will be trying to dream up a new line of work (income) that will hopefully replace the work lost to Covid

Low priority, for when desperate. I need to do something about the emulsioned interior house walls. It's not been decorated inside for 25 years and is looking a bit grubby, in the living room for starters the walls are a bit splashed with crab and lobster and the kitchen, looks like an abattoir..... Don't plan to repaint as it's a rental so have bought some Mangers sugar soap in anticipation of nothing better to do and will wash them.

TV is not an option

Re smokers that sounds fantastic.  

I'm envious enough about your ability to turn the sea into your personal larder.  

I have always liked salmon and of course smoked salmon.  Realised the stuff you buy in the supermarket is mainly farmed and as a result potentially not as healthy (their diet for starters doesn't sound great being grain based as opposed to other fish like in the wild).

Assume you can't really catch salmon being river dwellers and then permits etc required too?

Quite like a bit of biltong but think that's a dehydrator you need, local butcher who spent time in Zimbabwe and is big hit apparently with the South Africans here makes great stuff.  Dry vors my favourite from him, polished some off last week.

5 minutes ago, Dogtania said:

Re smokers that sounds fantastic.  

I'm envious enough about your ability to turn the sea into your personal larder.  

I have always liked salmon and of course smoked salmon.  Realised the stuff you buy in the supermarket is mainly farmed and as a result potentially not as healthy (their diet for starters doesn't sound great being grain based as opposed to other fish like in the wild).

Assume you can't really catch salmon being river dwellers and then permits etc required too?

Quite like a bit of biltong but think that's a dehydrator you need, local butcher who spent time in Zimbabwe and is big hit apparently with the South Africans here makes great stuff.  Dry vors my favourite from him, polished some off last week.

I'm just copying a mate that did similar. been meaning to do it for a coupl of years. GF has finally persuaded me. The mate produces superb smoked meats and sausages. He currently has the equivalent of 3 serrano hams hanging in his garage too, of various ages.

Everything is possible if you have time and inclination.

Home brewing? I think I'm going to start. Why not make some sloe gin? Sloes are good this year.

Any scope to make a little man cave at home, I have a nice media room with a big telly and a projector. There is always something good to watch on YouTube. You can learn a lot.

Modelling? I will be continuing with my model railway when it arrives  in my shipment. Doesn't have to be expensive. You can get great results with low cost materials, doesn't have to be railways either. Just start with a small diorama. See Luke Towan or Kathy Millat on YouTube for inspiration. 

2 hours ago, 201p said:

It is important to have purpose, and a reason to get up in the morning.

Keep busy.

Survive then thrive! You know the rest.

Yup.

I have several aims but I am old enough to know that the journey matters more than the destination so I am going at a measured (slow) pace.  Also they are mostly sequential so another aim replaces each expiring one.

The Covid lockdown is going to be a real impediment for me if it goes beyond next spring as my aims generally revolve around social activities (as in clubs rather than going down the pub!) rather than solitary ones such as relearning how to play the guitar.  I am going to want to be out there and not sat at home.

1 hour ago, Carl Fimble said:

Only the boring get bored. 

Sorry Carl but that's nonsense.

Everybody gets bored.

What is true is that some people are unable to generate interest for themselves; like the moody teenager who can see no point in doing anything so does nothing and wonders why they are bored all the time.

12 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Sorry Carl but that's nonsense.

Everybody gets bored.

What is true is that some people are unable to generate interest for themselves; like the moody teenager who can see no point in doing anything so does nothing and wonders why they are bored all the time.

I dunno, I've always got something to do, something to think about, to look at, fix, clean, imagine, research, play, read or whatever. There's so much stuff everywhere, I might get bored doing a task, but as far as moaning about being bored when there's an almost limitless amount of stuff online and IRL...

Nah, I'm sticking with that only the boring get bored thing, I like the sound of it aside from everything else. 

1 hour ago, Popuplights said:

Home brewing? I think I'm going to start. Why not make some sloe gin? Sloes are good this year.

Any scope to make a little man cave at home, I have a nice media room with a big telly and a projector. There is always something good to watch on YouTube. You can learn a lot.

Modelling? I will be continuing with my model railway when it arrives  in my shipment. Doesn't have to be expensive. You can get great results with low cost materials, doesn't have to be railways either. Just start with a small diorama. See Luke Towan or Kathy Millat on YouTube for inspiration. 

Very good plan anyway. They have banned alcohol sales after 21:00in Nottingham as part of their tier 3 restrictions.

I smell that as the thin end of another thick wedge, and will obviously be following developments on that front closely.

Drip. Drip. Drip.