DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Working from home, tax back

Everyone probably knows you can get tax back because working at home due to COVID-19. I never bothered though as assumed it was too much effort having to deal with HMRC for a unnoticeably tiny amount of money.

Son actually did it and it's a couple of minutes online form-filling. Then he got 327 quid back via altered tax code. Why not? Just did it myself.

Instructions  (yes OK it's MSE)

I keep meaning to do this. Couple of things though...

I was waiting to see if my workplace offers a more generous scheme. There was talk of this but I have heard nothing lately so I might just go ahead with this.

I used my government gateway ID until very recently for self assessment. I have had a successful response for my need to no longer file self assessment. I am not sure if I can use the same ID for this purpose?

Edited by 23rdian
22 hours ago, TheNickos said:

I've done self assessment for years thinking i'm owed every year and every year i'm wrong :CryBaby:

Yep, I have spent years arranging my affairs so I have minimal contact with them outside the unavoidable, for me, PAYE system.

After the fuckwittery of child tax credits, where eventually I wanted (but was unable to) to take a loss just in order to not have to deal with them anymore, I’m giving them a wide berth thanks very much.

I'll do it with my self-assessment; if it works per the Martin Lewis piece then my estimated YE tax bill will be £25.

Which is annoying as I have paid zero tax for decades and it's not really worth making a SIPP contribution to offset that.

I am going to have to find me some other deductible; maybe professional membership fees will do it.

26 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'll do it with my self-assessment; if it works per the Martin Lewis piece then my estimated YE tax bill will be £25.

Which is annoying as I have paid zero tax for decades and it's not really worth making a SIPP contribution to offset that.

I am going to have to find me some other deductible; maybe professional membership fees will do it.

They would, but why on earth are you still paying them. I thought you'd retired?

Just now, SpectrumFX said:

They would, but why on earth are you still paying them. I thought you'd retired?

Much lower rate to reflect low income; there are a couple of local boards / trustees I might choose to go on - small organisations to help them out in an unpaid role - and my having a qualification would probably mean I could sign something rather than their paying for it be signed by an outside firm.

Also as this is not my first retirement I follow the guidance of the great Bond Actor who died today: Never Say Never Again and don't burn any boats.

On 31/10/2020 at 14:28, JoeDavola said:

Just applied for it - a very quick process so worth a shot....assume I'll get a tax rebate of some sort for the financial year to date?

You don't get a rebate.

Your tax code is increased so you will pay less income tax each month for the remaining months of this financial year once your payroll department has received the new tax code and updated their system.

Edited by Frank Hovis
On 30/10/2020 at 13:38, Funn3r said:

Everyone probably knows you can get tax back because working at home due to COVID-19. I never bothered though as assumed it was too much effort having to deal with HMRC for a unnoticeably tiny amount of money.

Son actually did it and it's a couple of minutes online form-filling. Then he got 327 quid back via altered tax code. Why not? Just did it myself.

Instructions  (yes OK it's MSE)

Applied for this online, was only a couple of minutes, received confirmation of change of tax code through the post about a week later.