DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Need some thoughts from the collective.

Large tree branch fell on car this afternoon. Fell of a tree in a council plot of land. They came and cleared the tree. Car is 7 years old, given the damage it's probably a write off.

Phoned insurer (AA), lodged claim. Women on phone said it will be marked as an at fault claim, meaning loss of £350 excess plus more expensive premiums for 5 years.

So queries for you all:-

1. At fault claim - correct or not?

2. If so, can I take the council to a small claims court to get back what I'm out of pocket?

3. If car is a write off, what are they likely to offer. Using whatcar, confused etc gives a private value, forecourt value and part exchange value. I probably don't need to get another car given current climate and can use wife's, but in theory I would need to go and buy a replacement, so will they offer forecourt value?

IMG_20201031_151616.jpg

Edited by choochoo
Spelling

https://www.swinton.co.uk/spotlight/driving/car-storm-guide/vehicle-covered-for-storm-damage/#:~:text=A fallen tree%3A Lightning or,by your fully comprehensive policy.&text=If the tree is located,costs through their home insurance.

• A fallen tree: Lightning or high winds can often cause trees or branches to fall on vehicles. This type of damage is typically covered by your fully comprehensive policy. However, be vigilant - if a tree located on your property falls and is found to be diseased or dead, your claim could be invalid. If the tree is located on someone else’s property, you may be able to claim your costs through their home insurance. Damage to buildings in storms can impact on your vehicle due to falling bricks or roofing tiles. However, there are some key things to remember about making a claim in this instance...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/5259546/does-your-car-insurance-cover-falling-trees-and-storm-damage-inflicted-by-storm-eleanor-heres-how-you-could-be-left-out-of-pocket/

Edited by sarahbell
7 minutes ago, choochoo said:

Large tree branch fell on car this afternoon. Fell of a tree in a council plot of land. They came and cleared the tree. Car is 7 years old, given the damage it's probably a write off.

Phoned insurer (AA), lodged claim. Women on phone said it will be marked as an at fault claim, meaning loss of £350 excess plus more expensive premiums for 5 years.

So queries for you all:-

1. At fault claim - correct or not?

2. If so, can I take the council to a small claims court to get back what I'm out of pocket?

3. If car is a write off, what are they likely to offer. Using whatcar, confused etc gives a private value, forecourt value and part exchange value. I probably don't need to get another car given current climate and can use wife's, but in theory I would need to go and buy a replacement, so will they offer forecourt value?

IMG_20201031_151616.jpg

Years ago, a tree on the road fell on a neighbours car. I think he managedto get the council to pay as new rv cables had recently been laid and the argument was that they had cut through the roots. Worth paying an expert to see if tree was diseased?

Just now, choochoo said:

Thanks 👍

No probs, just don't commit and let them off the hook unnecessarily, read through certificate wordings very carefully, get some advice.

Car insurance is something I have been getting through a local broker for years now, I perceive there to be a value added above and beyond the added fees/cost. They know every trick in the book that the insurance company might play, know how to answer the questions and fight your corner to keep the business. Also takes a whole load of hassle / stress out of the equation when you may be injured for example. They are also very unlikely to recommend a duff insurance co.  / policy.

Have a look online and look for AA reviews and see if there is a pattern in how they handle claims for example, their offer system and what others have been able to knock them back on in terms low offers.

39 minutes ago, choochoo said:

IMG_20201031_151616.jpg

Your insurance is to put you in the position you were immediately prior to the event. The amount they should pay is the price you would have to pay for a vehicle of the same type and condition. That would be the retail price you would pay a reputable? motor dealer, not a private sale or a trade price.

The insurers will use valuations from Glasses Guide or CAP Black Book. You may be able to negotiate a slightly higher value if you are very persistent. 

van went into the side of my old beamer. Got the 2 grand write-off and offered to buy it back off the insurance company as it was still road worthy (£250). I drove it for another two years putting 200k on the clock and sold it on for the same money.

Just saying, if it's still road worthy, you might consider offering a small amount so you've got a car, otherwise it's useless to them.

1 minute ago, Malthus said:

I’d say that’s a write off 

Never accept the offers, if they say the market value is for example £10k but dealers are looking £12k explain that to them 

If they get to a figure they won’t budge from tell them if that’s the case you get me one then as I can’t at that price 👍

That's been tried by lots of claimants. They won't.

8 minutes ago, Malthus said:

I’d say that’s a write off 

Never accept the offers, if they say the market value is for example £10k but dealers are looking £12k explain that to them 

If they get to a figure they won’t budge from tell them if that’s the case you get me one then as I can’t at that price 👍

We got a laptop offer upped a chunk as it was really expensive and nothing similar was available at the paltry sun they offered. Provided them with evidence to that effect and they folded. 

Only five hundred quid difference though not thousands but same principle.