DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

I have been hearing several reports on ToS of folk moving back to NI buying houses as their jobs in Dublin / Edinburgh / London can be done remotely.

The fact that they are doing something so permanent as moving themselves, and in most cases their families over to NI suggests that they have been told, on the down low at least, not to expect their jobs to go back to the way things were again. If you expected to be back in the Edinburgh / London office full time even a year from now you probably wouldn't make such a change.

I know we're 8 months in but maybe at the 6 month mark it started to become obvious to a lot of companies that full time office occupation wasn't necessary to get things done.

If this is true for a significant percentage of 'office' work then it'll have knock on effects for those cities.

The only direct reports I've heard are from the consultancy I used to work for which has not renewed the lease on two small offices in England, and told the Northern Ireland team recently to clear out their desks as they'd be working from home and only coming in when necessary for a 'hot-desking' environment for the foreseeable.

Have any of you lot heard first or second hand reports of the 'we're never going back to the office full time ever' type?

Thought we could use this topic to collect reports of this to get a feeling of where things are going; I don't think the government will want to admit that there might be a huge change in the way many people work because of the economic effects.

Edited by JoeDavola
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How are regulations surrounding data security supposed to work in the financial services sector when working from home? It’s like they will need to rip up the rule book and start again. An exampl

That's the demographic I had in mind when I was referring to new starts - that it would be close to impossible for a graduate in a 'skilled' (for want of a better word) graduate job. (I do know a

Our company seems to be heading to part-time WFH and a down-sized office. I love home working - a quiet work environment, no commute, a little flexi-time and I'm just as productive as ever. But i

How are regulations surrounding data security supposed to work in the financial services sector when working from home? It’s like they will need to rip up the rule book and start again.

An example would be PCI-DSS which are the standards set by the card payment sector. To be PCI-DSS compliant, when taking a card payment over the phone, you must have your screen so that no one else can see it. Who would be checking this?

there will be many IT security weaknesses when remoting in from home as opposed to working in a controlled environment/office.

Who lives with the financial sector employee? Are they into a bit of fraud?

Do these rules get ignored under Covid19 ? Were they really needed before? 

Had a similar conversation in March with a friend who moved to New York for work a few years ago, big american investment bank, reckons they'll be reducing office space in Manhattan by at least 20%.   The assumption is that all the other financial services types will be doing the same.

1 hour ago, Reck B said:

How are regulations surrounding data security supposed to work in the financial services sector when working from home? It’s like they will need to rip up the rule book and start again.

An example would be PCI-DSS which are the standards set by the card payment sector. To be PCI-DSS compliant, when taking a card payment over the phone, you must have your screen so that no one else can see it. Who would be checking this?

there will be many IT security weaknesses when remoting in from home as opposed to working in a controlled environment/office.

No need to live with them, casual acquaintance will do:

A former bank employee has been jailed for two years after admitting transferring £53,000 from the accounts of 14 elderly customers to a mystery man she had only met three times.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-38081124

Brooming! (C) Democorruptcy!

Where someone on the internet dupes a financial employee into sweeping some money their way.

There's a fair amount of anecdotal stuff on LinkedIn saying exactly that - offices to be smaller, visits to be less frequent, remote working and hot desking to become the norm. Intuitively it makes sense, and I think most would prefer it too.

I think there will be huge economic effects, but as ever there will be winners and losers. If you own city centre commercial property, city centre residential property, or a business catering to large numbers of people in city centre offices, then you're screwed. By contrast it could be a good time to open a suburban cafe / shared workspace for people who want a bit of social interaction as they WFH. All you need is great WiFi, good cheap coffee, let people rent desks and meeting rooms by the hour and you'd get lots of takeup I expect (once we are allowed to mix again).

4 hours ago, Reck B said:

Not just finance...it'll also affect highly sensitive industries such as defence.  I remember the days a few years ago, whereby I had a removeable hard drive which ended up in the server room each night...

They will always need offices. Just because companies have found they can get by with home working doesn't mean it's optimal or doesn't lose on anything.

There will always be people who can't realistically work at home on a permanent basis. Houseshare, sleeping on mate's sofa, bedsit, live in area of shit broadband and mobile coverage, etc.

29 minutes ago, Harley said:

Good luck with remote working.  Sounds more like garden leave given what's comming.  Bet contracts change for greater "flexibility".  

Already happening mate. My ex colleagues are now required to be on-call at the weekend. For free mind, and they've accepted it. They get some money if they attend site, but no retainer for being on-call.

I successfully fought their many attempts at imposing this tooth and nail during my employment there...

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man
19 minutes ago, Harley said:

Good luck with remote working.  Sounds more like garden leave given what's comming.  Bet contracts change for greater "flexibility".  

A small allowance for the use of extra energy used at home, but then "take a 20% paycut ...Take it or leave it"...

Good luck to those who can work from home full time, but I couldn't do it.. It was all fine and dandy over the summer...Now comes the miserable weather, where you don't leave the house for a week...

Edited by Dave Beans
29 minutes ago, Harley said:

That's a very good point.

What I thought was somewhat short sighted was that the folk on the big London wages expect to move to NI or the countryside and that all these companies will still pay the big London wages for them to sit and work from home for the next 20 years, based on what's happened over the last 8 months.

I mean maybe they will, but if I were them I'd be pricing in a wage cut or at least no increase in wages.

The other shortcoming in all this is how on earth do you train new starts remotely?

Edited by JoeDavola

Our company seems to be heading to part-time WFH and a down-sized office.

I love home working - a quiet work environment, no commute, a little flexi-time and I'm just as productive as ever. But it's going to be bad for job security. Previously a techie was competing with everyone in a 60 mile radius for a job. Now it's nationwide, if not global. I keep stressing to the other guys here that they do NOT want full time WFH, but they seem drunk on their new-found ability to doss off in their pajamas.

Edited by Curious Pattern
8 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

The other shortcoming in all this is how on earth do you train new starts remotely?

But surely there's a smartphone app and a few Powerpoints that can do that in ten minutes, right....? 

No...?  Well even if there isn't, I'm sure some enterprising spiv will sharp sell the daft cunts some...

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man
5 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Exactly, and this when it will all fall to bits. I give it a couple of years before remote working is scaled back. It only works now because everyone already knows each other. Also, Teams meetings are absolutely shite if you really need to get something developed. They’re fine if you just want to sit around in an online haze talking bollocks.

7 hours ago, Reck B said:

mrs lid does. when she goes for a slash I jump on her computer and syphon off grands into swiss bank accounts i've recently set up. few more months and i'll be off to panama, already been taking canoeing lessons :D:):ph34r:

2 minutes ago, lid said:

mrs lid does. when she goes for a slash I jump on her computer and syphon off grands into swiss bank accounts i've recently set up. few more months and i'll be off to panama, already been taking canoeing lessons :D:):ph34r:

xD 

Typical fucking Scouser you are mind. Copying off proper criminal Northern monkeys from the North-East coast...!

His surname was no accident of birth...  ;)

XYY

1 hour ago, Curious Pattern said:

Previously a techie was competing with everyone in a 60 mile radius for a job. Now it's nationwide, if not global

My thoughts exactly. Surely, it's now trivial to outsource the whole department to India.

I've noticed that a real day in the office meeting face to face is worth a week of Zoom meetings.

1 hour ago, Dave Beans said:

A small allowance for the use of extra energy used at home, but then "take a 20% paycut ...Take it or leave it"...

Good luck to those who can work from home full time, but I couldn't do it.. It was all fine and dandy over the summer...Now comes the miserable weather, where you don't leave the house for a week...

It's even better in winter!

Who the fuck wants to scrape ice and snow off the car or get in a crowded public transport unit full of nasty germy sweaty people.

You can train anyone whose managed zoom for an interview.

Internet. Side by side screensharing taking control of screen etc.

5 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

It's even better in winter!

Who the fuck wants to scrape ice and snow off the car or get in a crowded public transport unit full of nasty germy sweaty people.

You can train anyone whose managed zoom for an interview.

Internet. Side by side screensharing taking control of screen etc.

We live too much behind screens anyway...all this working from home will breed loneliness and mental health issues...   I haven't worked in an office for ten years, but when I did, the job was OK, but it was the people that made the day tolerable.

I would never commute more than half an hour...those that do two hours each way - its just bonkers... the money isn't worth it...  

Edited by Dave Beans