DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

DMARC records

Question

I think I am having problems with spammers hijacking my domain. Lots of trouble with emails getting through.

I understand the solution is to publish a dmarc record, but end up going down a rabbit hole every time I try to find out how to do it.

Any pointers to a simple explanation of how I achieve this (using 123 reg for hosting)

TIA

6 answers to this question

Firstly make sure your SPF records are in order. This is by far the easiest and most effective anti spam record you can implement. Ensure that both your sending servers and any servers that may send on behalf of your domain are included (most mass email providers have records you can include).

Next will come DKIM. Are you using 123 for your Email hosting? Do you have any other servers that send on your behalf (marketing mass emails etc.)? DKIM implementation depends a lot on your host and what email setup you have.

Once both the above are done you can add DMARC, which basically tells recipient servers what to do with email hitting their mailboxes from your domain which fails the SPF and or DKIM checks.

Edited by Cosmic Apple
Words hard.
8 hours ago, Cosmic Apple said:

Firstly make sure your SPF records are in order. This is by far the easiest and most effective anti spam record you can implement. Ensure that both your sending servers and any servers that may send on behalf of your domain are included (most mass email providers have records you can include).

Next will come DKIM. Are you using 123 for your Email hosting? Do you have any other servers that send on your behalf (marketing mass emails etc.)? DKIM implementation depends a lot on your host and what email setup you have.

Once both the above are done you can add DMARC, which basically tells recipient servers what to do with email hitting their mailboxes from your domain which fails the SPF and or DKIM checks.

Thanks. I am trying to get the spf straight but the last part of the sending ip address seems to keep changing.

Do you know if spf changes happen instantly, or do they take up to 48 hours to change like other dns records?

(You can tell this stuff isn't my strong point)

Edited by Wight Flight
8 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

Thanks. I am trying to get the spf straight but the last part of the sending ip address seems to keep changing.

Do you know if spf changes happen instantly, or do they take up to 48 hours to change like other dns records?

(You can tell this stuff isn't my strong point)

What server sends your email? Do you have your own or are you sending through another provider? 

And SPF like any other dns record can take up to 48h to propagate. 

Edited by Cosmic Apple