DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Amazon Prime Wardobe

All I wanted was a jacket, but Amazon's latest scam is only to offer it to Amazon Prime Wardrobe customers, which means signing up to Prime, and using their payment methods. Bah! I won't bother. I think they are shooting themselves in the foot.

2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

All I wanted was a jacket, but Amazon's latest scam is only to offer it to Amazon Prime Wardrobe customers, which means signing up to Prime, and using their payment methods. Bah! I won't bother. I think they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Twats 

2 minutes ago, 201p said:

There is always a trade off with low prices - you have to give something else.

I think that's what it is. I expect similar will be available elsewhere for a few quid more. I just want a simple transaction. Not to "sign up" for anything if I can help it.

It's worse than that at least for me. I wanted to buy a hard disk and even after spending a couple of minutes I couldn't work out what the deal was. Prime-only? Not Prime-only but different price with Prime? Not Prime-only but if you buy it you get signed up to Prime? Especially knowing how sneaky they can be at accidentally signing you up to Prime and having been unwantedly signed up in the past even after reading it carefully.

Eventually found they had the same disk cheaper in their warehouse/openbox thing but I was on the point of just not buying it.

I'm convinced my brother and his wife buy extra things just to get full value from his Amazon Prime.

I wasn't prepared to go anywhere near Amazon because of past stories on here abut underhand practices by it - in particular signing you up to Amazon Prime on the sly.

I have used ebay.co.uk successfully as well as a couple of direct online retailers so that will be from where future online buying derives; but only if I can't find it in a shop.

I generally use ebay despite the higher prices or try and buy it from a shop - and don't use amazon at all. I was nearly caught out signing up to Amazon Prime, because it is easy for them to change the buttons around/opt you in etc.

I am surprised they haven't got a video link interpreter pop up moving about to distract you at the payment screen (one for the startup thread!).

TenseYearlyDiamondbackrattlesnake.webp

23 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Keep an eye out for free trials on Amazon, I get them regularly for Prime.  Take the free trial, cancel immediately and the trial still runs till the end date.

^^^^^^ This.

The last amazon prime free trial I took I had a few small items I needed to get. Things for a few quid each that would not be worth buying without free delivery. I made sure there was a day or two between each purchase so that each one came on its own delivery. I can't believe there is any profit on a £3.50 item with free delivery. Doing my bit for the economy (albeit non productive), keeps the money moving and the EE's in a job.

Actually, thinking about it I'm not seeing so many EE's on the delivery jobs recently. Been getting a few older chaps where it seems like a pension top up job.

4 minutes ago, invalid said:

^^^^^^ This.

The last amazon prime free trial I took I had a few small items I needed to get. Things for a few quid each that would not be worth buying without free delivery. I made sure there was a day or two between each purchase so that each one came on its own delivery. I can't believe there is any profit on a £3.50 item with free delivery. Doing my bit for the economy (albeit non productive), keeps the money moving and the EE's in a job.

Actually, thinking about it I'm not seeing so many EE's on the delivery jobs recently. Been getting a few older chaps where it seems like a pension top up job.

Yep, just finished a free 1 week trial.  Ordered a few things I needed with free delivery, watched the new Borat movie and some Grand Tour.  Cost = around 5 mouse clicks. 

Amazon do trick you into signing up for Prime. After being resistant, I gave it a go and now think its ridiculously good. I used one of their offers that was £60 for the year,

1. Free delivery

2. Prime TV (use this a lot - hardly ever watch non-streaming TV now). 

3. Photo backup

I could justify £60 for each of those individually.

I also use their Audible subscription (£8/month) and been very happy with it. I often do the 2 for 1 deals so £8 gets two audio books per month.  I don't bother with paper books any more.

7 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

Dgul - 2020. 

Maybe we need to revisit this in a couple of years. 

That's a good point.  Amazon really do have enormous power in the market.  It is very easy to imagine just a handful of retailers getting >90% of all trade.

12 minutes ago, dgul said:

That's a good point.  Amazon really do have enormous power in the market.  It is very easy to imagine just a handful of retailers getting >90% of all trade.

Jeff is a succesful capitalist. It will be broken up like the Bell telephone company.

11 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Jeff is a succesful capitalist. It will be broken up like the Bell telephone company.

I doubt it. Elizabeth Warren wanted Amazon to sell Whole Foods and AmazonBasics, but that's about as far as anyone got. Like with Google, they have sent a load of yesmen into politics to represent them favourably. That's the real scandal.

They aren't even that cheap, as I keep saying. Do a search for Levi jeans on Amazon and compare prices at, say, M&M Direct. About £20 cheaper easily from other stores, but muh Prime next day delivery*

*Often at 9pm by an illegal, and never on a Monday or Friday.

2 hours ago, invalid said:

^^^^^^ This.

A friends lodger has a job and delivers parcels in his car for extra income

Edited by stokiescum

I was looking at some speakers on Amazon about 3 years ago and noticed they were cheaper for Prime members. Didn't order and emailed to ask them to delete my card details because I wouldn't be subsidising Prime members. Only used ebay since but now always check how long the seller's been there. Always got my money back if they have done a runner but it's long drawn out. If you have wait days for a reply from a seller who is no longer a member.

8 hours ago, Funn3r said:

It's worse than that at least for me. I wanted to buy a hard disk and even after spending a couple of minutes I couldn't work out what the deal was. Prime-only? Not Prime-only but different price with Prime? Not Prime-only but if you buy it you get signed up to Prime? Especially knowing how sneaky they can be at accidentally signing you up to Prime and having been unwantedly signed up in the past even after reading it carefully.

Eventually found they had the same disk cheaper in their warehouse/openbox thing but I was on the point of just not buying it.

This is the thing. Before Amazon started the sneaky sign-up-to-prime campaign I would tend to try them first for whatever. Now they are a last resort.