DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

7 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

I’m trying to buy a book for my son. It’s a classic so has been published a million times over by many publishing houses. I can pick it up for £3 or £25.

How do you decide which one to buy? Are they all exactly the same? 

No. Condition is everything. I paid £8 for a perfect "Profanisaurus Rex" 2nd edition with dust jacket @The XYY Man. It has pride of place in my library along with "Scouting for Boys", and "Penetrating Wagner's Ring", in which the innuendo was unintentional.

7 minutes ago, Lightly Toasted said:

It depends, if it's a book he'll love for years to come then a nice hardcover might be good.

Why not put links to the £3 and £25 one up so we can see the difference?

Thanks. It’s a birthday present. It’s actually Frankenstein that I’m buying him. I think having looked at it I’ll get the original 1818 text. I don’t know if he’ll keep it although he does have a decent collection of books already, so he might.

If it’s a book for me I tend to pick the cheapest, as other said  and I’m not bothered if it’s used. 

I looked on eBay then I got analysis paralysis.

Edited by Battenberg

Being a book lover I have mostly tended to opt for hardcovers in recent years. If there is a big gap in price no. If the book in hardover is "rare" and likely to keep its value then I will buy.

The other obvious advantage with hardcover is that they do last longer..vital if the book is going to be referred to over years. The resale price tends to hold better to with hardcover.

Not everything gets out of date that quick. Subject matter dependent.

12 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

Thanks. It’s a birthday present. It’s actually Frankenstein that I’m buying him. I think having looked at it I’ll get the original 1818 text. I don’t know if he’ll keep it although he does have a decent collection of books already, so he might.

If it’s a book for me I tend to pick the cheapest, as other said  and I’m not bothered if it’s used. 

Are the £3 and £25 new prices? Do you want teh original 1818 edition or the 1831 version?

If you are prepared to pay £25, spend £25 on a second hand one and get one a bit 'special'

or a little bit more for...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Folio-Society-Frankenstein-or-the-Modern-Prometheus-Shelley-Mary-2004-/373310544550?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10#viTabs_0

There is a mint one on ebay for £100

6 minutes ago, Lightly Toasted said:

Abe Books I use. A subsidary of Amazon. Often their prices though dont tally with each other. Don't get why not but often dont.

Direct searching on North American sites ( I know I have typed this on DOSBODS somewhere before) Is good. Takes a month..or 3 weeks to receive but can be cheaper if you are not in a rush.

Havent used for a while as a Canadian supplier stopped due to COVID.

1 hour ago, Battenberg said:

The text is out of (c)

Go the the most stylish print for your budget.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Frankenstein-Prometheus-Penguin-Clothbound-Classics/dp/0141393394/ref=asc_df_0141393394/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310934258379&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16619900993960652112&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007044&hvtargid=pla-448898144627&psc=1&th=1&psc=1