Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

The what guitar have you got? thread.


Bobthebuilder
 Share

Recommended Posts

Bobthebuilder
26 minutes ago, Erewhon888 said:

The world's current favourite metal guitarist has opinions on choice of capacitors. I've never heard of Ovaltone but then I've never auditioned capacitors for my guitars. 

 

miyako build.png

Miyako sound.jpg

It's good to see young players get into this sort of stuff. Lots of changes you can do to guitar electrics to alter the tone, output ohms etc.

I really got into 1950s style wiring. Low output unwaxed pickups, reverse wiring to the volume / tone pots and replacement capacitors. The output volume lowers, so you have to turn the amp up a bit but way more classic rock/blues tone.

If you plug in a guitar and its to loud or distorted then use the volume and tone controls on the guitar, that's what they are for.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Erewhon888

I'm intrigued by the guitar sound on this Devin Townsend track. Can anyone suggest what creates the heavy sound? Dropped tuning? Fuzz? Overdrive? Flanging? Harmonisers? Or am I confusing the guitar sound with some synth combination?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SpectrumFX
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Erewhon888 said:

I'm intrigued by the guitar sound on this Devin Townsend track. Can anyone suggest what creates the heavy sound? Dropped tuning? Fuzz? Overdrive? Flanging? Harmonisers? Or am I confusing the guitar sound with some synth combination?

 

He sounds tuned down to me. I don't think there much else going on there except regular distortion.

A guy I used to be in a band with thought the sun shone out of his arse. I did see him live once, but his music has never really clicked with me.

Edited by SpectrumFX
drunk (I'm drinking 8% IPA)
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Erewhon888
16 hours ago, SpectrumFX said:

He sounds tuned down to me. I don't think there much else going on there except regular distortion.

A guy I used to be in a band with thought the sun shone out of his arse. I did see him live once, but his music has never really clicked with me.

Some googling turned up a picture of his recent pedalboard from That Pedal Show.

 

devinteffects.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Erewhon888

https://equipboard.com/pros/devin-townsend/gear/effects-pedals shows he has used 52 pedals. In the interview at https://youtu.be/_zm5QD7smSw he also mentions putting both AXE FX and Ableton into the board connections. He seems to be a bit of a pedals nerd having spent time in China to get the design of the Mooer Ocean Machine made to his own specification. It would still be interesting to find the simplest way to get close to the sound of the Royal Albert Hall video. Apparently he keeps guitars tuned in Open B (BF#BF#BD#) and Open C (CGCGCE) and was influenced by ambient sounds, sitar and tambura and even Enya. His Framus has a seventh string to add a low G in the Open C tuning. I had not heard of him until a few weeks ago but I'm now interested enough to find out more as he comes over as a bit of a character in his recent interviews.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Erewhon888 said:

https://equipboard.com/pros/devin-townsend/gear/effects-pedals shows he has used 52 pedals. In the interview at https://youtu.be/_zm5QD7smSw he also mentions putting both AXE FX and Ableton into the board connections. He seems to be a bit of a pedals nerd having spent time in China to get the design of the Mooer Ocean Machine made to his own specification. It would still be interesting to find the simplest way to get close to the sound of the Royal Albert Hall video. Apparently he keeps guitars tuned in Open B (BF#BF#BD#) and Open C (CGCGCE) and was influenced by ambient sounds, sitar and tambura and even Enya. His Framus has a seventh string to add a low G in the Open C tuning. I had not heard of him until a few weeks ago but I'm now interested enough to find out more as he comes over as a bit of a character in his recent interviews.

You'd imagine that it would be easier to achieve an impressive sound with those tuning, but that the guitar would be rather inflexible regarding the full range of chords achievable.  Of course, if you're writing the songs anyway you can work to the strengths of the tuning, and he's probably got a few different instruments on stage to give more variation between songs, which would be more difficult with open tuning.

Perhaps the whole thing about open tuning isn't that it is easier (well, it is), but that it is difficult to keep all the different tuning in your head and to switch between them without error.

I like open tuning.  IMO all budding non-classical guitarists should learn open G first, get some really impressive results really quickly to get the enthusiasm up, maybe learn drop D for a bit of fun and then (be encouraged) to step up to proper tuning to get the full range of the instrument.

Guitar teachers would probably be horrified by the previous paragraph.

  • Agree 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/05/2021 at 23:06, Bobthebuilder said:

I have bought Luxe capacitors in the past, loads of dosh.

You'd have thought any old tantalum capacitor would give 99% of the benefit.  Sure, they're the most expensive of the capacitors, but we're only talking 25p instead of 5p.

[Capacitor construction type will have an impact on the sound, but tantalum should be closest to the sound of capacitors from the olden days, if that's seen as 'a good thing'.  Whether it is actually a good thing is another issue.]

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bobthebuilder
On 14/05/2021 at 18:13, Erewhon888 said:

I'm intrigued by the guitar sound on this Devin Townsend track. Can anyone suggest what creates the heavy sound? Dropped tuning? Fuzz? Overdrive? Flanging? Harmonisers? Or am I confusing the guitar sound with some synth combination?

 

Just got round to listening to this. Defo a saturated sound to go with the keyboards, scooped mids with a bit of chorus (maybe) lots of reverb / delay for sure.

Not my cup of tea but my he can pull a big crowd, impressive.

I am a bit old school, this is my definition of guitar tone. Gets me every time without fail.

 

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Erewhon888
15 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Just got round to listening to this. Defo a saturated sound to go with the keyboards, scooped mids with a bit of chorus (maybe) lots of reverb / delay for sure.

I should have searched around before asking as it seems Devin is a perfectionist gearhead working with pickup designers, pedal companies, profilers and everybody else to refine the sound he wants. He has mentioned in some "guitar clinics" that he has a particular sequence of delay-reverb-delay set up on the board.

He must be a tech/roadie nightmare judging by this walk-through in which he mentions using both a Kemper and an Axe FX with an everchanging set of pedals on the board. Interesting that to get one of his earlier GP100 sounds he had to ask a company to recreate it as a profile. Logically most of his sound should be captured in a profile but I doubt he'll make that available to Kemper users.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Erewhon888
On 15/05/2021 at 12:41, dgul said:

You'd imagine that it would be easier to achieve an impressive sound with those tuning, but that the guitar would be rather inflexible regarding the full range of chords achievable.  Of course, if you're writing the songs anyway you can work to the strengths of the tuning, and he's probably got a few different instruments on stage to give more variation between songs, which would be more difficult with open tuning.

Perhaps the whole thing about open tuning isn't that it is easier (well, it is), but that it is difficult to keep all the different tuning in your head and to switch between them without error.

I like open tuning.  IMO all budding non-classical guitarists should learn open G first, get some really impressive results really quickly to get the enthusiasm up, maybe learn drop D for a bit of fun and then (be encouraged) to step up to proper tuning to get the full range of the instrument.

Guitar teachers would probably be horrified by the previous paragraph.

In the mid-60s I had Bert Weedon's books and made little progress. Then in 1968 I obtained my first copy of Stefan Grossman's How to Play Blues Guitar as LP with tablature book.

 

Most of the blues and ragtime tracks were in non-standard tunings apart from Monday Morning Blues and Mississippi Blues. Oddly enough it's only the ones in standard tuning that I play now maybe because I had a flirtation with classical guitar for some years.

blues.png

  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Happy Renting

Every DOSBODDER should have a Cuntz guitar.

Handmade by Andreas Cuntz, from £3,990.

 

Edited by Happy Renting
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bobthebuilder
8 hours ago, Happy Renting said:

Every DOSBODDER should have a Cuntz guitar.

Handmade by Andreas Cuntz, from £3,990.

 

Awesome, you have an excuse at gigs to shout, "you're out of tune you cuntz".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...