DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Builder has under priced job

Any suggestions for how to fairly sort out reward for a good builder who clearly under estimated a job. He started on 27th July and is very close to finishing. Sometimes he was here and all (occasionally 4 of them very rarely 5 ) were working hard. He has been here recently on Saturdays and/or Sundays. More often only 2 here and not owrking much when he wasn't here. Nevertheless he has done a good job and has been accommodating for example not only allowing me to use scaffolding but helping and taking over some jobs \i wanted doing while scaffolding was up.

His quote was low 5 figures. He does not expect more money than he quoted. I do want him back for more jobs.

2 minutes ago, man o' the year said:

Any suggestions for how to fairly sort out reward for a good builder who clearly under estimated a job. He started on 27th July and is very close to finishing. Sometimes he was here and all (occasionally 4 of them very rarely 5 ) were working hard. He has been here recently on Saturdays and/or Sundays. More often only 2 here and not owrking much when he wasn't here. Nevertheless he has done a good job and has been accommodating for example not only allowing me to use scaffolding but helping and taking over some jobs \i wanted doing while scaffolding was up.

His quote was low 5 figures. He does not expect more money than he quoted. I do want him back for more jobs.

1. Give him more?

2. Ask him to overquote on the next job?

3. Be ruthless and say he should be thankful for the work?

3 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

1. Give him more?

2. Ask him to overquote on the next job?

3. Be ruthless and say he should be thankful for the work?

Inclined towards 1) but undecided how much. He is likely to have received more work from passers by from what he has said as people have seen what has been done.

That is a lot of money and while he may deserve it I had only budgetted for his quote. I am at the 4% level at the moment.

Oh I should say that there is the possibility of really big job (hotel conversion) further down the line. This would be at least 250k but others have quoted much more.

I want to tread the line between showing gratitiude and keeping him keen. I also paid every instalment he asked for immediately. I am not going to jump the gun as there are 3rd party costs still to come in which he had some say in deciding who to take on.

2 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

It’s a learning curve for him

ie his fuck up .however he seems a man of his word so slip him some cash in hand 

Yes - would only consider paying the extra as cash in hand.

23 minutes ago, man o' the year said:

He may have quoted low because he just needed some work.

See what his next quote is, and if it isn't too far above the lowest quote, give him the work.

Not anywhere near a five figure job, but I had the same thing a few years back with someone who quoted me four days for a job that took five.

He only wanted to stick to his original quote. But I couldn't leave it like that. He did a great job and although it was obvious the job was going to overrun it made no difference to the quality of his work and I was well pleased with what he did. I worked out the day rate and gave him the extra.

He will always be my go-to if I ever need that sort of work doing again. I liked the fact that he didn't cut corners to rush it.

6 minutes ago, man o' the year said:

That is a lot of money and while he may deserve it I had only budgetted for his quote. I am at the 4% level at the moment.

Oh I should say that there is the possibility of really big job (hotel conversion) further down the line. This would be at least 250k but others have quoted much more.

I want to tread the line between showing gratitiude and keeping him keen. I also paid every instalment he asked for immediately. I am not going to jump the gun as there are 3rd party costs still to come in which he had some say in deciding who to take on.

Yes - would only consider paying the extra as cash in hand.

Hmmm,

If it was one job only, I'd overpay what I thought I should, while being worried about not insulting with too small an amount - "he only thought it was worth xxx", and so pissing him off.

If you might want him for futre work and you overpay with a handsome tip, then you set a precedent for future work. "Hmm he didn't tip this time", goeas away wonderig either what was wrong or that you're a tight git.

Simple solution perhaps is give him more work. If it's a big job next time he'll lose his losses in it. He won't make the same quoting mistake twice and should make good his losses in the next quote.

Edited by Hopeful

As the devil's advocate, shouldn't a Darwinist/freemarket capitalist do nothing on the basis that rewarding incompetence reduces the fitness of the builder population? If you end up with a pet builder who does favours, extras, and cheap jobs for you, the ultimate end is everyone doing jobs for each other for nothing in some collective system. Also, there is the possibility that he has carved out a comfortable niche in the market exploiting people's good natures by underquoting for jobs to get them, but finding that soft-touch clients often pay extra anyway.
If you do wish to reward him, why not write out some vouchers for free weekends or meals for him and his crew. These will cost you next to nothing, but will show that you are appreciative, and they will be able to trade them with friends and relatives to get something they want?

At the point at which it became clear to him he had under quoted and if he was going to lose money in a bad way on the job he would / should have come to you and tried to renegotiate an equitable way out of it. Fixed price work is a bit of a nightmare because of the unknowns but if both parties agree to it then the builder should expect to complete the job even if it is a poor earner and equally expect to get paid without any 'you finished that quickly and we've decided to pay less' if it goes better than expected. Small building firms on day rates and get comfortable on jobs and stretch them out wind me up, burning through the savings of residential customers and small businesses paying good money for poor work done slowly or to have workers standing around with their hands in their pants or playing on their phones for a large part of every day on £25 / hour.

When it comes to paying my advice would be to make it clear that you know he didn't do well out of it and appreciate that he went above and beyond in completing the work to a good standard and will be recommending him. As suggested maybe gently offer some freebies at the hotel, but don't force  them on him, he may take offence.

9 hours ago, man o' the year said:

Pay him in cash.

5 minutes ago, VeryMeanReversion said:

Pay him in cash.

I've heard mixed things on this.

On one hand,  yes,  it goes under the radar..  but I think they worry if they do too much cash in hand work they may get found out..  especially if they are employing other workers  (how do you explain wages out but no money in?).

They'd rather you paid for the work,  and then pay the VAT on top..   that way they can put it through their books legitimately and allows them to take a couple of smaller CIH jobs later on.

At least,  that was the impression I got from the last builder I spoke to. 

I do small jobs and get jobs done.  I talk through quotes/bids so I understand things, avoiding any that don't want to.  I expect a provision in a fixed quote but want to know what it is, not so I can try and get it back but in case we run into problems over and above that.  I also do my best to make all jobs as easy as possible and take an interest.  I always ask if they are OK financially after the job but am no push over.  I feel good doing what I think is the right thing.  TBH, it does depend a bit on the size and type of company though.  I don't expect the same treatment in return if for no other reason the quote underpinned their original decision.  But anyone who shows some concern goes near the top of the list.  I have a long list as do most of the rest.  What goes round comes round.  Each to their own.

Edited by Harley