DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

steppensheep

Average daily vitamin D supplementation.  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

What is an IU and how many are in a ug (microgram)?

40:1 ratio.

One of the current UK recommendations is 400IU per say up to 4,000 a day is safe. You can buy 1,000, 2,000 over the counter as regular purchase so that says something,

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/11/2020 at 14:37, dgul said:

It looks like most of the UK will be distributing VitD to 'vulnerable groups' in the very near future.

The dose will probably be 12.5 micrograms, as the medical profession can only cope with being horrendously wrong on one count at a time; rejigging the RDI will come much later.

Everyone here has probably got a good supply of VitD anyway, but I'd suggest stockpiling now as the shelves will be empty once the policy is publicised.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55108613

More than 2.5 million vulnerable people in England will be offered free Vitamin D supplements this winter.

The vitamin, which helps to keep bones, teeth and muscles healthy, will be delivered to people who are clinically extremely vulnerable, and care homes.

Vitamin D can be absorbed through the skin when exposed to sunlight - but the elderly and those with dark skin need topping up.

The pandemic means many more people than normal have spent time indoors.

The groups most at risk are residents in care homes, and people with serious health conditions which mean they have spent extended periods shielding from the virus - a total of 2.7 million people.

No no no.

Fucking gormless BBC and medical technicians.

https://www.bmj.com/company/newsroom/vitamin-d-supplements-acute-respiratory-infections/

The data is there for respiratory  infections.

Every fucking year you get a vast test as the sun dims and everyone comes down with fucking colds.

And now youve a large number of dark skinned people who have magically unknown poor health outcomes.

I was reading a 'learned' but gormless hand wringing article on BAME and VitD.

What the fuck cannot these people see?

The article was going on about about race not being recorded. Race is fucking useless, meaningless.

The Covid chart had three groups with poor outcomes:

Africans

Bangladehsi

Indians.

You need to measure the skin tone/colour FFS. BD being a lot more darker than Indians.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 2

Chewing Grass
57 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Every fucking year you get a vast test as the sun dims and everyone comes down with fucking colds.

And now youve a large number of dark skinned people who have magically unknown poor health outcomes.

I was reading a 'learned' but gormless hand wringing article on BAME and VitD.

What the fuck cannot these people see?

The article was going on about about race not being recorded.

Posted a map months ago where I drew a line across the Med and stated that very dark skinned people are not genetically disposed to live North of it which is why the populations from the Mediteranean Northwards have evolved pale skin and can survive working in offices, shops, factories and down mines.

True Blacks can only survive long term (resistance to disease) within the two tropics (Capricorn & Cancer) as per the diagram below for a HIV/AIDS paper from UK School of Tropical Medicine.

tropics.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Anywhere outside that and they risk becoming Vit 'D' deficient and succumbing to disease, the data is buried and hidden in this Australian medical survey through Political Correctness but you can (as I have done) extract the data by ethnic origin by adding a simple extra column for percentage deficient.

538718912_Screenshotfrom2020-11-2808-46-45.png.b431408fe849d1fdeb8643f5e131ab8a.png

So in Australia (which is sunnier than the UK) 20% of whites are Vit D deficient with 50% to 70% of Asians being deficient and 30%-50% of Africans although the latter was a much smaller and younger residency sample.

https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/health/health-conditions-and-risks/australian-health-survey-biomedical-results-nutrients/latest-release

Edited by Chewing Grass
proof read
  • Agree 3
  • Informative 4

8 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Posted a map months ago where I drew a line across the Med and stated that very dark skinned people are not genetically disposed to live North of it which is why the populations from the Mediteranean Northwards have evolved pale skin and can survive working in offices, shops, factories and down mines.

True Blacks can only survive long term (resistance to disease) within the two tropics (Capricorn & Cancer) as per the diagram below for a HIV/AIDS paper from UK School of Tropical Medicine.

tropics.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Anywhere outside that and they risk becoming Vit 'D' deficient and succumbing to disease, the data is buried and hidden in this Australian medical survey through Political Correctness but you can (as I have done) extract the data by ethnic origin by adding a simple extra column for percentage deficient.

538718912_Screenshotfrom2020-11-2808-46-45.png.b431408fe849d1fdeb8643f5e131ab8a.png

So in Australia (which is sunnier than the UK) 20% of whites are Vit D deficient and with 50% to 70% of Asians being deficient and 30%-50% of Africans although the latter was a much smaller and younger residency sample.

https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/health/health-conditions-and-risks/australian-health-survey-biomedical-results-nutrients/latest-release

And, as I ve said multiple times, Id have pretty poor health outcomes in the tropics.

Id burn.

Id get malaria.

Yadda yadda yadda
14 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

tropics.gif&f=1&nofb=1

So in Australia (which is sunnier than the UK) 20% of whites are Vit D deficient and with 50% to 70% of Asians being deficient and 30%-50% of Africans although the latter was a much smaller and younger residency sample.

Anyone who has even heard of Darwin must wonder why native skin colour varies across the planet. Must be an evolutionary reason. Not discussed because evolution is clearly racist. It also involves winners and losers, which is doubleplus bad.

I'm perfectly adapted to British climatic conditions. Unfortunately I'm not at all adapted to British taxation and benefits policies.

Australia even has a city that is presumably named after Charles Darwin.

• Agree 4
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, dgul said:

They can't say VitD is useful for Covid because they've done the research and found that people wouldn't take the vaccine if they could get 'enough'/similar protection via a supplement.

Would explain their half hearted and ham fisted attempt at finding / trialling other therapeutics.

• Agree 1

Yadda yadda yadda
3 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Would explain their half hearted and ham fisted attempt at finding / trialling other therapeutics.

Yes. If you ask the question why a vaccine is preferred then the only plausible answers are grotesque.

• Agree 3

6 minutes ago, jm51 said:

I bought some 5,000ui vit D. Have been taking 2 a day for about 3 weeks and am enjoying a noticeable increase in energy. Also, my blood pressure is down to normal levels.

Can you have that much a day

10,000ui is the highest I've read of. Seems the usual treatment for a vit D def is high dose for a few months then go down to a maintenance dose.

Each pack has 120 tablets @ 5,000ui, so the first pack will last 2 months. Then it's 1 pill a day unless I get some unpleasant side effects.

• Informative 1

Caravan Monster
On 28/11/2020 at 22:06, Big Boy said:

There's some really high doses recommended, I'm sure one said 100,000 IU in a week for elderly patients. Wouldn't your head explode? 3000 IU of vit D3 makes me feel great, but pretty wired and have a bit of trouble sleeping.

Lots of interesting reading at the link, cheers for that.

26 minutes ago, Caravan Monster said:

There's some really high doses recommended, I'm sure one said 100,000 IU in a week for elderly patients. Wouldn't your head explode? 3000 IU of vit D3 makes me feel great, but pretty wired and have a bit of trouble sleeping.

A week in Spain in May after a winter in the UK taking no vit D supplements would likely top you up by way more than that. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Stopped by a Morrisons on the way home.

The Vit D shelf empty. Perhaps for 2 weeks. They are a bit dopey in this particular store re: restocking.

Bad news.... their out of stock or too disorganised to restock.

Good news....people are likely to be following other advice rather than the politburo diktats. Good. I hope its spread to other areas of thinking.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Caravan Monster said:

3000 IU of vit D3 makes me feel great, but pretty wired and have a bit of trouble sleeping.

I'm guessing that rather than give us energy and/or shorten our sleeping hours, vit D enables us, as it did with our ancestors.

This is what we're supposed to feel like. Modern living is like running a crippleware app. Kinda works but could be so much better.

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, Caravan Monster said:

I take 3000 + 400 IU per day (D3 supplement + multi-vit.) plus whatever I get in my diet and I can't notice any effects.

It's difficult to judge the right dose without being tested.  See Optimal dosages here:

https://www.pointinstitute.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Target-serum-levels-and-optimal-dosing-of-vitamin-D-paper.pdf

• Agree 2

The latest survey done by spectre on the zoe symptom tracker is indicating that Vit D is effective for females in reducing infection rates but not for males.

Sorry chaps 😭

• Informative 1

swiss_democracy_for_all
13 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

The latest survey done by spectre on the zoe symptom tracker is indicating that Vit D is effective for females in reducing infection rates but not for males.

Sorry chaps 😭

Got a link? 

Not bothered about infection rates anyway tbh, it’s more about how the body deals with infection, and this is influenced and modulated by Vit D levels. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, The XYY Man said:

Vitamin supplements are for poofs...

XYY

It's not natural to sit staring at a computer screen for the daylight hours, but many of us are required to do so.  Unnatural solutions for unnatural problems...

• Agree 4

Caravan Monster
10 hours ago, jm51 said:

I'm guessing that rather than give us energy and/or shorten our sleeping hours, vit D enables us, as it did with our ancestors.

This is what we're supposed to feel like. Modern living is like running a crippleware app. Kinda works but could be so much better.

My job is outdoors and sometimes very physical. Been increasingly struggling being that knackered in the evenings and weekends not really wanting to do much, assumed it was down to the onset of middle age. Surprised how much the vitamin D has helped.

8 hours ago, Big Boy said:

I take 3000 + 400 IU per day (D3 supplement + multi-vit.) plus whatever I get in my diet and I can't notice any effects.

It's difficult to judge the right dose without being tested.  See Optimal dosages here:

https://www.pointinstitute.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Target-serum-levels-and-optimal-dosing-of-vitamin-D-paper.pdf

Will try to persuade the GP to get blood test, guess it would be worth paying privately if necessary. 

• Informative 1

6 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

Vitamin supplements are for poofs...

XYY

Well yes I’m experiencing with them I’m not sure you take them with larger mind 

• Lol 1