DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

steppensheep

Average daily vitamin D supplementation.  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Snake Plissken
2 minutes ago, dgul said:

Thanks for trying it out.  It is just the browser's pdf engine then.  A bit weird, though -- they're 'common' misspellings as well (not just random insertions).

Maybe my computer is becoming illiterate.

That is odd and i've not seen it before. Or it could be where you pasted it into but I can't see why it would introduce mistakes.

Managed to get a decent enough amount of sun last few days, the river near me was warm enough for a nice relaxing swim, I've learnt that its best for me to treat river swimming as a relaxant rather than a cardio session which was what I was doing last summer.

Mushrooms are part of my daily diet along with salmon twice a week, sometimes the wild salmon depends how flush I feel.

I have canned tuna and eggs on a regular basis, 

Only a casual knowledge of vit d but toying with the sun bed idea once we head into days and days of no sun as seems it would be hard to achieve enough through diet without the sun

• Informative 1

2 minutes ago, supernaut said:

Only a casual knowledge of vit d but toying with the sun bed idea once we head into days and days of no sun as seems it would be hard to achieve enough through diet without the sun

You'll find huge amounts of naysayers on this forum about sunbed use. Quite strange that they listen to "the best medical advice" about those, based on a couple of leathery addicted types who got problems after overuse

Hail the Tripod
19 minutes ago, Stuey said:

You'll find huge amounts of naysayers on this forum about sunbed use. Quite strange that they listen to "the best medical advice" about those, based on a couple of leathery addicted types who got problems after overuse

Really? Regular (but sparing) use of sun beds in British winter seems like a fine addition to a healthy living program.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Stuey said:

Ideally I would prefer to not take supplements or use the sun bed, that being said I'm sure some would say I'm too cavalier with my exposure to the sun, I'm no oompa loompa but like to have a light tan. 

I used to use sunbeds when younger but that was for vanity reasons back then 20 years ago and also failed attempts to chat up the young ladies that worked there 

12 minutes ago, supernaut said:

Ideally I would prefer to not take supplements or use the sun bed, that being said I'm sure some would say I'm too cavalier with my exposure to the sun, I'm no oompa loompa but like to have a light tan. 

I used to use sunbeds when younger but that was for vanity reasons back then 20 years ago and also failed attempts to chat up the young ladies that worked there 

I would say consistent controlled use of a sunbed is probably preferable to the pale-burn-pale annual cycle most idiot Brits do...

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

6 minutes ago, Stuey said:

I would say consistent controlled use of a sunbed is probably preferable to the pale-burn-pale annual cycle most idiot Brits do...

I'd suggest that the right thing to do is what northern/western Europeans have evolved to do:  make sure that you get a bit of full-torso exposure to sunlight as the seasons change (ie, rather than a week of exposure every August).  

I'd accept that this would require a bit of vitD top-up in the dark seasons, because Europeans haven't quite had enough time to evolve systems to maintain vitD over winter in northern latitudes.  About 100,000 years would perhaps have done it, but the invention 'civilisation' will have have slowed things down a bit.

Edited by dgul
  • Agree 3

Yadda yadda yadda
10 minutes ago, dgul said:

but the invention 'civilisation' will have have slowed things down a bit.

They're working on reversing that to get things back on course.

• Lol 3

Spotted this free kindle book on Hotukdeals this morning and thought of this thread. B|

Note it has a new chapter covering covid. :D

Power of Vitamin D: A Vitamin D Book That Contains The Most Scientific, Useful And Practical Information About Vitamin D - Hormone D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00WFN8QAG?smid=A1G3UP32AZJ14F

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/power-of-vitamin-d-kindle-edition-free-at-amazon-3799372

Some light reading now we're heading into the October to March window where supplements are likely required.

Going to order some tabs off amazon before they sell out. xD

Edited by BoSon
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 4

1 hour ago, BoSon said:

Spotted this free kindle book on Hotukdeals this morning and thought of this thread. B|

Power of Vitamin D: A Vitamin D Book That Contains The Most Scientific, Useful And Practical Information About Vitamin D - Hormone D

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/power-of-vitamin-d-kindle-edition-free-at-amazon-3799372

Some light reading now we're heading into the October to March window where supplements are likely required.

Looks like the start of s discussion's about to happen in the comments....

This book claims that vitamin D can prevent coronavirus. Vaccinations prevent covid.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/comments/permalink/45688205

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1
  • Cheers 1

Lightly Toasted
4 hours ago, BoSon said:

This book is really well done, pitched at the interested lay-person but rigorous enough to include references. Everyone interested enough to follow this thread should grab it while it's free!

Disgusting that NPCs are trying to get it removed from hotukdeals >:(

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Lightly Toasted said:

This book is really well done, pitched at the interested lay-person but rigorous enough to include references. Everyone interested enough to follow this thread should grab it while it's free!

So far the up votes on pro-vitamin D comment are winning. 

• Informative 1

The Masked Tulip
21 hours ago, Lightly Toasted said:

Seriously? Wow!

• Agree 1

The Masked Tulip

I note that it is now 3 months since the end of the Coronavit trial, the UK study into the preventative powers of VitD.

They don't seem to be in a hurry to report on their findings.

Ordinarily (non covid times) this would suggest that they had a negative result and thus the experiment was now 'boring' for them.

However, in these covid times I'd suggest that anything showing vitD to be useless would have been fast-tracked through, so IMO it looks more likely that they found an effect.

I think what we'll see now is an analysis where they pool together the seasonal data to give a middling effect of VitD.  But vitD levels aren't that low in summer -- what they should do is a differential analysis of the effectiveness of the vitD supplements over winter.  I'll be impressed if they actually do this.

• Agree 5
  • Informative 3

1 hour ago, dgul said:

I note that it is now 3 months since the end of the Coronavit trial, the UK study into the preventative powers of VitD.

They don't seem to be in a hurry to report on their findings.

Ordinarily (non covid times) this would suggest that they had a negative result and thus the experiment was now 'boring' for them.

However, in these covid times I'd suggest that anything showing vitD to be useless would have been fast-tracked through, so IMO it looks more likely that they found an effect.

I think what we'll see now is an analysis where they pool together the seasonal data to give a middling effect of VitD.  But vitD levels aren't that low in summer -- what they should do is a differential analysis of the effectiveness of the vitD supplements over winter.  I'll be impressed if they actually do this.

They've already acknowledged the benefit of vit d over winter after giving it out for free last year to those isolating. We'll see if they bother this year or if it was a one-off all for show move, like those food parcels during the first lockdown.

Heart's Ease
5 minutes ago, BoSon said:

They've already acknowledged the benefit of vit d over winter after giving it out for free last year to those isolating. We'll see if they bother this year or if it was a one-off all for show move, like those food parcels during the first lockdown.

It was a paltry 400IU daily dose - so lip service.

• Agree 4

41 minutes ago, Heart's Ease said:

Yes, but better than nothing -- It probably explained a decent %age of the improvement in the covid outcomes for the vulnerable groups.

• Agree 1

stop_the_craziness
2 hours ago, Heart's Ease said:

And not that much of it either.  I wonder how many of the people (a) took it and (b) bothered to carry on taking in when they had to buy their own.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Heart's Ease said:

You don't need vitamin D. Just take your spreadable horse paste... it's a fucking miracle! 

• Lol 1

• 2 weeks later...

Recent paper on VitD

https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/13/10/3596

Conclusions: The datasets provide strong evidence that low D3 is a predictor rather than just a side effect of the infection. Despite ongoing vaccinations, we recommend raising serum 25(OH)D levels to above 50 ng/mL to prevent or mitigate new outbreaks due to escape mutations or decreasing antibody activity. 

Seems pretty clear cut to me.  Vit D levels are a major factor in covid disease progression to severe covid.

They recommend that vaccinations be augmented by vitD, but it seems to me that 99% of the benefits could be achieved by just doing the vitD part and dropping the vaccine bit.

Edited by dgul
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 7
  • Lol 1

1 hour ago, dgul said:

Recent paper on VitD

https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/13/10/3596

Seems pretty clear cut to me.  Vit D levels are a major factor in covid disease progression to severe covid.

They recommend that vaccinations be augmented by vitD, but it seems to me that 99% of the benefits could be achieved by just doing the vitD part and dropping the vaccine bit.

Nice line from that paper:

The two independent datasets showed a negative Pearson correlation of D3
levels and mortality risk (r(17) = −0.4154, p = 0.0770/r(13) = −0.4886, p = 0.0646). For the
combined data, median (IQR) D3 levels were 23.2 ng/mL (17.4–26.8), and a significant
Pearson correlation was observed (r(32) = −0.3989, p = 0.0194). Regression suggested a
theoretical point of zero mortality at approximately 50 ng/mL D3

But what does that mean in terms of oral dose?

A quick search found this (and there are many others that say the same thing):  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4437692/

Without significant sun exposure, achieving a 25(OH)D concentration >50 ng/mL requires vitamin D ingestion of approximately 4,000 IU/day in persons >8 years of age

• Agree 1
  • Informative 8

42 minutes ago, dgul said:

Nice line from that paper:

But what does that mean in terms of oral dose?

A quick search found this (and there are many others that say the same thing):  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4437692/

Good stuff, I'm never sure how much I should be taking but luckily I'm on 4000 IU/day, 6000 this week as I have a cold.

Think I saw some YouTube doctor saying you have to consume vast quantities to overdo it.  He said 10,000 was absolutely no problem.

• Agree 1