DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Typing on mobile phones

Question

Ever since I've had mobiles I've struggled with the "keyboards". If I try to type maybe a 12 word SMS message I'll have to go back and edit maybe four or five words. I just hit the wrong "keys" if I try to do it at any speed that isn't painfully slow.

I've got to the point now where I don't bother and I just send the text with all the errors. The other person will just have to work out what it probably was meant to be.

Part of this may be the phone that I have which is a Samsung S8. The "keys" are just too close together and the auto-correct stopped working a long time ago, I think because I got so much wrong, it just gave up. It is also pretty poor with corrections, if I put the cursor over a misspelled word it may or may not suggest an answer and it's really fiddly to tap the screen in precisely the right place to get the cursor to go after the character I want to change.

The dictionary in the thing is fairly crap. I don't expect it to have every word in the English language but there are plenty of fairly common words it doesn't know.

The other thing I manage to do is frequently miss the space bar and so the autocorrect fails anyway because it has no idea what the two words ought to be.

I know this all sounds like some completely understandable geriatric condition attributable to advancing years. I do need to wear glasses for close work as I have presbyopia. But that's not the problem. I've managed to type this on my desktop keyboard with maybe one keying error. Also, after about 20 years of having these things it's probably safe to say it isn't going to get better.

I think I can dictate the message to the phone Alan Partridge style but I don't have high hopes of that working well.

I'm pretty sure my old iPhone used to get the auto correct right a lot of the time. Maybe I'll have to get one of those. Or is it the same.. does anyone else have this issue? Do I need a special dialling wand? (The Simpsons)

13 answers to this question

12 minutes ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

Do you use the swipe keyboard? If not, give it a try, it's a lot better than hitting every letter though still a bit of a pain

https://support.google.com/gboard/answer/2811346?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

Thanks - giving that a go. The "keys" look much bigger than they were before.

4 hours ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

Do you use the swipe keyboard? If not, give it a try, it's a lot better than hitting every letter though still a bit of a pain

https://support.google.com/gboard/answer/2811346?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

Yep the predictive text is brilliant ,the hard part is learning to look at that rather than only the key board 

On 05/11/2020 at 08:16, MrPin said:

"pint in pub" was helpfully corrected to "riot in sub", on the Nokia I had.

They never learnt too, no matter how many times you changed it from riot to pint it would still revert back to the word you never typed. 

I used to like typing on a T9 (button phone) keypad, I could do it by feel one handed, not having to look at the screen like I do with touchscreens. 

I'm quite used to typing on my phone and user the Android built in swiping on the keyboard, been on my little laptop recently and it's so much better. 

Though you can't beat a full size keyboard with number pad and proper keys.

On 14/11/2020 at 10:58, sarahbell said:

http://messages.google.com/

Type on your computer. Much easier. 

Or if you're not that keen on Google...

Signal Messenger

The guy who invented WhatsApp  got pissed off when Facebook bought his company; he left and used his new pile of cash to create a forked and better version without all the Facebookness.

Used by Boris's cabinet so it is said. Definitely the choice for people bothered about security. Can send SMS as well.

On 09/11/2020 at 15:40, Snark said:

Between predictive text totally changing common words, typing a V instead of a space and that fucking annoying thing where it used to predict "auldart" when i'm typing "instead", I keep typing on phones to a bare minimum.

This was me. Particularly missing the space key probably because on a proper keyboard it's so large that it's basically impossible to miss. The new keyboard works a treat. At first it seems unnatural dragging your finger around the keyboard but you don't need to be very accurate in hovering on the letters. It's quite intuitive. Even the auto-correct works well.