DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Why is android so crap?

To answer my own question, I think it's because the people who build the features don't really use them themselves.

Anyway, clearing cookies, you don't get any options to pick and choose but a pop up box says, "also clear these sites they seem important to you" with half a dozen of your most used sites with pre ticked ticked boxes and the options "clear" or "cancel". So in order to not clear these cookies you have to click "clear". I have to stop and think about it every time.

Also saved wifi networks is a pain if you have two competing weak signals in range. Keeps switching between them and you have to go into settings to unsave one. That probably doesn't affect many people though, just cheapskates like me trying to surf on their neighbour's wifi.

And other annoying stuff.

1 minute ago, Libspero said:

Don’t know.

I have an Android tablet and an Apple work phone. They’re both about as good and annoying as each other in equal measures.  

I certainly wouldn’t say Apple is any better IMHO.

I've been using Android phones for a few years and I've got an inherited iPad. I use the current Android phone, a Moto G almost all the time. I only turn in the iPad for one programme which simply doesn't run on Android. Ni way would I pay the premium for 🍎.

1 hour ago, steppensheep said:

To answer my own question, I think it's because the people who build the features don't really use them themselves.

Anyway, clearing cookies, you don't get any options to pick and choose but a pop up box says, "also clear these sites they seem important to you" with half a dozen of your most used sites with pre ticked ticked boxes and the options "clear" or "cancel". So in order to not clear these cookies you have to click "clear". I have to stop and think about it every time.

Also saved wifi networks is a pain if you have two competing weak signals in range. Keeps switching between them and you have to go into settings to unsave one. That probably doesn't affect many people though, just cheapskates like me trying to surf on their neighbour's wifi.

And other annoying stuff.

Biggest question- apart from search n ads why are gooles products do eurgh.

Seriously, the tales of pain where people have used some Google service only to find it pulled some years later.

I dont find android too bad. I need to update my phone which is 4+ years old now.

Given the choice, I'd strip everything but nail n maps n chrome.

Google have a real problem with mindless complexity, hence the hell of c++ in their products.

Kudos to Rob Pike being allowed to develop Golang.

And Dartlang looks to be the frontend ljavascriot rrolzvpcement anguage I've spent 10+ waiting for.

Accessibility options are a car crash.

I wouldn't mind so much that some apps (like chrome) don't change their font size with the system setting, if they let you change it some other way from within the app (thankfully firefox let's you do it).

On a positive note. It's still better than apple. Those fuckers have an absolute obsession with tiny text in a sea of white.

xD

5 minutes ago, Snark said:

Apple, how can anyone use that shit? I'd have to keep a pack of post-it notes on me at all times, to account for the lack of copy/paste functionality.............

No it's there, you just have to scroll right on the little options bar that pops up, by tapping the teeny tiny little triangle on the end. Have fun! :PissedOff:

3 minutes ago, spunko said:

Who on earth blames Android for problems with the browser (I assume Chrome)? :CryBaby:

Wi-Fi is inherently flawed, which is nothing to do with Android either. I am waiting for someone to invent Wi-Fi 2.0 which actually works through a brick wall.

The fact is it fo s work through brick walls. My raspberry pi is seperated from the router by a 9 inch brick wall and still works.

I have a Samsung S8 with all updates disabled so it still runs Android 7 and it's very nearly bug free, it works just as well today as it did when it was new.

Just this week Apple seem to have broken Safari so that it drops your session with websites and means you keep getting forced to log back in again. I have reports from multiple clients about that. I suppose Apple will fix that a few more updates down the line. Maybe.

Disabling updates is the key to pain-free ownership of these things. I got so fed up with Googling what was wrong with my Apple phone after the latest forced update that I had to get rid of it. The interface was more slick and pretty but the reliability was non-existent.

36 minutes ago, spunko said:

Who on earth blames Android for problems with .... Chrome? :CryBaby:

... I am waiting for someone to invent Wi-Fi 2.0 which actually works through a brick wall.

They're practically integrated aren't they?  The "captive login portal" looks like  just a stripped down chrome.

I mentioned elswhere., I have an erratic but useable connection to a wifi hotspot that is separated from by iat least 4 half meter thick stone walls. Maybe someone in the intermediate building has a signal amplifier or something. I can also get it from my lidl, sitting on a bench about 100m away. Wifi is weird.

Edited by steppensheep
8 hours ago, DTMark said:

I have a Samsung S8 with all updates disabled so it still runs Android 7 and it's very nearly bug free, it works just as well today as it did when it was new.

Just this week Apple seem to have broken Safari so that it drops your session with websites and means you keep getting forced to log back in again. I have reports from multiple clients about that. I suppose Apple will fix that a few more updates down the line. Maybe.

Disabling updates is the key to pain-free ownership of these things. I got so fed up with Googling what was wrong with my Apple phone after the latest forced update that I had to get rid of it. The interface was more slick and pretty but the reliability was non-existent.

I can't be sure but I've read various things online about websites having to legally reduce or completely get rid of those 'remember my login details for xxx days' prompts. A lot of websites now don't offer it and you have to login again after ten minutes. It's really quite infuriating.

Android, Apple, Windows are all shit. It is 2020 and my phone won't answer calls (rings but doesn't have anything to tap to answer). My PC goes into melt down of I try to share my screen on a teams call and 3 out of 4 times when I connect my laptop to my 4k monitor it just shows a zebra effect. 

Technology is broken bullocks. In fighting with each other and creating walled gardens the big players have screwed up modern tech. 

</grump>

16 hours ago, steppensheep said:

They're practically integrated aren't they?  The "captive login portal" looks like  just a stripped down chrome.

I mentioned elswhere., I have an erratic but useable connection to a wifi hotspot that is separated from by iat least 4 half meter thick stone walls. Maybe someone in the intermediate building has a signal amplifier or something. I can also get it from my lidl, sitting on a bench about 100m away. Wifi is weird.

Homeplugs?