DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Supermarket alcohol sale rules

14 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I have faint memories of the alcohol section being roped off in supermarkets on Sundays from maybe thirty years' back but absolutely nothing since then.

Could be talking rubbish but I think it was really just a timing thing, Sunday open laws came in 1994 but most supermarkets (or more accurately the managers in them) didn't have full alcohol licences (or at least ones that allowed Sunday trading) simply because they didn't need one up to that point.

If you go in to supermarkets there is normally a sign with the licence holder details directly above you head at the door i.e. the actual door frame, I doubt many people have ever seen it, but Supermarkets need a licence same as pubs, corner shops etc, normally the store manager or a deputy manager.

So I think it was this that was the issue... not sure about now but you couldn't apply for a speculative licence, so it wasn't until Sunday trading came in to force that you then applied.

8 minutes ago, gilf said:

Could be talking rubbish but I think it was really just a timing thing, Sunday open laws came in 1994 but most supermarkets (or more accurately the managers in them) didn't have full alcohol licences (or at least ones that allowed Sunday trading) simply because they didn't need one up to that point.

If you go in to supermarkets there is normally a sign with the licence holder details directly above you head at the door i.e. the actual door frame, I doubt many people have ever seen it, but Supermarkets need a licence same as pubs, corner shops etc, normally the store manager or a deputy manager.

So I think it was this that was the issue... not sure about now but you couldn't apply for a speculative licence, so it wasn't until Sunday trading came in to force that you then applied.

Yes, that makes sense.

1 hour ago, gilf said:

Polish shop in town doesn't have one.