DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

The "Fuck it, i'm spoiling myself" thread

Not to be missread as "Soiling myself thread". Thats for another day.

Inspired by @haroldshand and his nice bottle of Malt, i'm thinking of blowing £100 on either a bottle of malt or bottle of Red.

Stupid money for something i will actually, not literally piss away, but i need to cheer myself up. At a point in life where i can afford to do it and not feel guilty. I am the stereotypical tight Yorkshireman, so this is out of character for me.

So this thread serves 2 purposes.

1) Any recommendations? I like all but the very very smokey Whisky/Whiskeys. Can include blends too. Regards wine, i love full bodied South American varities.

2) What are you going to buy to spoil yourself now, or over Xmas, to put all this shite news out of mind if only for a brief while?

Edited by Sucralose Ray Leonard
Usual
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a fair few airmiles from credit cards and travel through work and several 100k with Virgin. They were originally earmarked for the Caribbean with the missus and daughter flying business one yea

Get a wee tiny helicopter and fly it round your living room, they're only £15-20, and loads of fun.  Flying it pissed would be fine too.

Ok, i took on some of the suggestions on here. I didnt spend £100. I spent £78. I got a £28 bottle of Grahams Vintage Port (2006) A bottle of Carlos III Brandy de Jerez at £22 (Much pre

Posted Images

Go for Malt, I have never had a red for £100 squid where I could justify it, but love your mentality and go for it if it pushes the right button:)

Think I had a moment of clarity yesterday while out jogging with my now 20 Lb of extra body weight since Lockdown, but I am carrying it OK. I was half way around a 5 mile run and it finally dawned on me that my approach as someone who for years keeps living under the illusion that I "will get my old times back soon" realised I will never be a runner ever again of any note so just do your best and chill out a little.

If all goes well and Covid allows  I have a cottage booked on Windermere one week before Christmas 

I shall follow this thread with interest. Expensive drink doesn't do it for me as I can get shit-faced on any old Lidl 3.99

Definitely would like to spoil myself but realistically can't think of anything while stuck indoors and everything shut for xmas, or lockdown, or gone bankrupt.

6 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Expensive drink doesn't do it for me as I can get shit-faced on any old Lidl 3.99

Nor me really. Im happy as a pig in shit with a £15 bottle of blended or a sub £5 bottle of red.

However, im not aiming to get pissed. I just want to spoil myself for once.

Appreciate this thread could be in bad taste for those that struggling financially, but it's a thread to think about nice things rather than the doom and gloom.

10 minutes ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Nor me really. Im happy as a pig in shit with a £15 bottle of blended or a sub £5 bottle of red.

Appreciate this thread could be in bad taste for those that struggling financially, but it's a thread to think about nice things rather than the doom and gloom.

Expensive wine has never done it for me. I have been given the odd bottle, and it doesn't meet the hype.

If I was going to splash out, it would either be a bottle of Vintage Champagne, where the difference is very obvious (except that I don't really like champagne) or a very fine Armagnac / cognac. I was given some Louis XIII brandy once and that was a luxury I could get used to (but my wallet couldn't)

(Feck - just looked it up - didn't realise at the time what I drinking! - https://www.selfridges.com/GB/en/cat/remy-martin-louis-xiii-700ml_414-87024675-RMLOUISXIII/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=na_na_dsa-b_n%2Fa_na_na_DOM_DSA-ALLTARGETS&cm_mmc=PPC-_-DSA-_-all-_-&POR=Y&&cm_mmc=PPC-_-DSA-_-all-_-NA&gclid=Cj0KCQiAy579BRCPARIsAB6QoIYvHUrmNqVBuSDIcwXXR1rSRsFQ5zY4-Oyow5qHs9bTUElyeGuenJYaAhs8EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

3 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Expensive wine has never done it for me. I have been given the odd bottle, and it doesn't meet the hype.

If I was going to splash out, it would either be a bottle of Vintage Champagne, where the difference is very obvious (except that I don't really like champagne) or a very fine Armagnac / cognac. I was given some Louis XIII brandy once and that was a luxury I could get used to (but my wallet couldn't)

(Feck - just looked it up - didn't realise at the time what I drinking! - https://www.selfridges.com/GB/en/cat/remy-martin-louis-xiii-700ml_414-87024675-RMLOUISXIII/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=na_na_dsa-b_n%2Fa_na_na_DOM_DSA-ALLTARGETS&cm_mmc=PPC-_-DSA-_-all-_-&POR=Y&&cm_mmc=PPC-_-DSA-_-all-_-NA&gclid=Cj0KCQiAy579BRCPARIsAB6QoIYvHUrmNqVBuSDIcwXXR1rSRsFQ5zY4-Oyow5qHs9bTUElyeGuenJYaAhs8EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Christ, what did you do to be given that?!

41 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

I shall follow this thread with interest. Expensive drink doesn't do it for me as I can get shit-faced on any old Lidl 3.99

Definitely would like to spoil myself but realistically can't think of anything while stuck indoors and everything shut for xmas, or lockdown, or gone bankrupt.

Don't let money drive you into the ground, there is always a way out of these things

Good luck

18 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Holy shit! 

£2650!!!

That better have been the most amazing drink ever, and even then!

46 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Get a wee tiny helicopter and fly it round your living room, they're only £15-20, and loads of fun. 

Flying it pissed would be fine too.

Edited by Carl Fimble
Sp
33 minutes ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

I have had  long weekends by the sea or a lake in amazing places, eaten, drunk and looked around and for less than £100 for the whole trip, you just have to be creative sometimes and that's what makes it fun as well sometimes. I have had 3 day central London trips and paid £90 for digs.

1 minute ago, Carl Fimble said:

Get a wee tiny helicopter and fly it round your living room, they're only £15-20, and loads of fun. 

Flying it pissed would be fine too.

Could be awkward if the budgie gets beheaded but thanks for the tip.

23 minutes ago, JFK said:

Get a few selections rather than drop a ton on a single item 

Thats certainly an option. I've just never splashed out silly money on anything in my life. 

I expect that whatever i end up getting at such a price point will be enjoyable, but nowhere near enough to stop me reverting back to Lidl own brand Malt.

(It's more to reassure myself that ive not wasted my life being a tight arse)

You could buy a few beauties from here: https://www.whiskycastle.com

Established in 1904 and stocking in excess of 600 malts, The Whisky Castle welcomed over 30,000 visitors through their doors last year to learn about and sample some beautiful and unique whiskies.

It's in Tomintoul - which I'd have recommended for a wee trip. Unfortunately, Covid's put the kybosh on a physical visit.

Their website says: "Due to England going into lockdown, the central belt in Scotland not able to travel to the Highlands and no foreign visitors, we have decided to close the shop in Tomintoul. Don’t worry though, you can still buy all our whisky on our website, and if you want to come into the whisky castle we can arrange to open for you."

Getting my Private Pilots Licence has been on my list for a while.

I nearly did it a few years back when I received a quite generous bonus from work. It's not just the cost of getting it though, it is keeping up your flying hours afterwards.

I'm looking at getting my glider licence next year as an interim, as it is a world apart in terms of cost.

Partial to a single malt, obviously :)

11 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

Getting my Private Pilots Licence has been on my list for a while.

I nearly did it a few years back when I received a quite generous bonus from work. It's not just the cost of getting it though, it is keeping up your flying hours afterwards.

I'm looking at getting my glider licence next year as an interim, as it is a world apart in terms of cost.

Partial to a single malt, obviously :)

I was learning to fly, however the cost put me off and the number of times flights were cancelled was high....

I reckon if I lived near an airfield where the weather was permanently good it would be a fun hobby. However in Scotland the weather isnt fit for small aircraft on most days....