Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

make your own cleaning products


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

https://www.osmiowater.co.uk/sanser-sanitiser-spray-500ml.html

 

I know something was discussed early on in the first lockdown... was it like this? (Or am I confusing it with silver something or other)

I like the sound of these things.  I know we had them a few years back at work, I saw some of the blurb they handed out and pretty impressive.

The machines we got I think were several thousand... They got used briefly but apparently none of the cleaners liked them although they were sceptical from the start.  I actually asked recently about them think there still just sitting unused in a corner somewhere.

Got the impression the cleaners thought they were some kind of scam or something... Too good to be true.  If they definitely kill bac then I would be using rather than nasty bleach but maybe they know best being the ones that have to clean 🤔

Link to post
Share on other sites

I gave one of my brothers a 5litre basic IPA 90 percent hand cleaner.

At the same time my Aloe Vera plants needed dividing. Gave him a couple of kilos of leaves.

He mixed them and it turned out well as hand cleaner. Still watery but works ok. Not sure whats added to make it more gel like though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The Grey Man said:

I gave one of my brothers a 5litre basic IPA 90 percent hand cleaner.

At the same time my Aloe Vera plants needed dividing. Gave him a couple of kilos of leaves.

He mixed them and it turned out well as hand cleaner. Still watery but works ok. Not sure whats added to make it more gel like though.

Glycerol? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Household bleach is ~3-6% sodium hypochlorite

For most things you need about 0.5-1%

Red Label is ~15% sodium hypochlorite

20 l for about £10

Dilute to taste,

would give minimum of 300 l @ ~3p/l

When empty, the container makes a handy carboy for use for other things, such as whelk pots

 

2614eb0bd7648a4ff8fe1e6696c412a9.jpg

 

Edited by Hopeful
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/11/2020 at 17:53, sarahbell said:

Glycerol? 

No glycerol is a humectant which for alcohol based sanitisers means it helps alleviate the harshness of the alcohol and retain some moisture on the skin surface (otherwise alcohol would strip it and lead to cracking palms and skin etc.).

You can thicken/gel it with any polymer which swells in contact with water, of which there are several. When thickeners were short in the market at the height of the pandemic we were using the same thickeners typically used in wallpaper pastes, hydroxyethyl cellulose and the like. Works very well but gives a cloudy appearance so you don't get a 100% colourless gel. Polyacrylic acid is best though as gives very clear gels at very low dose rates.

Edited by SillyBilly
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the sort of stuff I'd do if I was retired and had nothing else better to do (and could save money doing it) but after a long week making chemicals/chemical preparations at work (including cleaning products) for a living, sod it if I am doing it in my own kitchen sink when at home. Had enough at that point.

Case in point my business buys several tonnes a pop of caustic agents like Sodium/Potassium Hydroxide, alcohols like IPA and have a lab store full of acids and all manner of other stuff (sodium hypochlorite being one example). So really pennies for me to knock most stuff up yet I would still pay a hefty mark up for a drain cleaner (sodium hydroxide) from the shops if I needed too (which I did recently) as I can't be bothered to spend the 5 minutes messing about diluting down caustic soda pellets. Only thing I did once make was some window cleaner but given the price in Aldi is really pence anyway you have to question what the return of investment is when you factor in your free issued labour. As another poster said bleach is pretty cheap so unless you are using barrel loads I suspect for most people it just ain't worth it unless you are time rich and cash poor.

I tend to flip packs over and read the ingredient/composition then go for the cheapest brand that contains the chemicals that will do the job. No point in paying extra for the brand. Which is why I like Aldi. I'd probably be grimacing at the price of the branded Mr Muscle type products in Tesco but in Aldi the branding/marketing add-on cost is almost negligible so you really are just paying for the container, the chemicals and a small margin for both manufacturer and Aldi.

Edited by SillyBilly
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

This is the sort of stuff I'd do if I was retired and had nothing else better to do (and could save money doing it) but after a long week making chemicals/chemical preparations at work (including cleaning products) for a living, sod it if I am doing it in my own kitchen sink when at home. Had enough at that point.

Case in point my business buys several tonnes a pop of caustic agents like Sodium/Potassium Hydroxide, alcohols like IPA and have a lab store full of acids and all manner of other stuff (sodium hypochlorite being one example). So really pennies for me to knock most stuff up yet I would still pay a hefty mark up for a drain cleaner (sodium hydroxide) from the shops if I needed too (which I did recently) as I can't be bothered to spend the 5 minutes messing about diluting down caustic soda pellets. Only thing I did once make was some window cleaner but given the price in Aldi is really pence anyway you have to question what the return of investment is when you factor in your free issued labour. As another poster said bleach is pretty cheap so unless you are using barrel loads I suspect for most people it just ain't worth it unless you are time rich and cash poor.

I tend to flip packs over and read the ingredient/composition then go for the cheapest brand that contains the chemicals that will do the job. No point in paying extra for the brand. Which is why I like Aldi. I'd probably be grimacing at the price of the branded Mr Muscle type products in Tesco but in Aldi the branding/marketing add-on cost is almost negligible so you really are just paying for the container, the chemicals and a small margin for both manufacturer and Aldi.

Good call SB.

All about the ingredients.

Much the same argument can be had with generic medicines.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, The Grey Man said:

Good call SB.

All about the ingredients.

Much the same argument can be had with generic medicines.

Definitely, branded paracetamol has to be one of the biggest fleeces going. I also always buy cheap toothpaste + mouthwash, it doesn't "taste" or look as nice as the brands but it contains the chemicals required to do the job so for a 1/3 or less of the price I can't justify the extra expense.

Separately, we don't make rakes of cosmetics but do a little for a friend's business and the mark ups on that stuff is like nothing I have ever seen, makes me incredibly cynical about buying the stuff when I know the price of all the ingredients.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SillyBilly said:

I also always buy cheap toothpaste + mouthwash, it doesn't "taste" or look as nice as the brands but it contains the chemicals required to do the job so for a 1/3 or less of the price I can't justify the extra expense.

I used to think this, but I noticed my teeth became more sensitive after using Tescos budget toothpaste for a while. I then learned that not all fluorides are the same:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin(II)_fluoride

Quote

Stannous fluoride converts the calcium mineral apatite into fluorapatite, which makes tooth enamel more resistant to bacteria-generated acid attacks.[3] The majority of toothpastes contain calcium minerals[citation needed]; over time these react with sodium fluoride to form calcium fluoride, which is almost completely insoluble and thus ineffective for tooth protection. Stannous fluoride is a more stable ingredient and thus remains effective in strengthening tooth enamel upon longer storage.[4] Stannous fluoride has been shown to be as effective as sodium fluoride in reducing the incidence of dental caries[5] and controlling gingivitis.[6]

There are also different phosphates used in different brands, but I don't know whether that affects the teeth.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TheNickos said:

I do 90% of the cleaning with white vinegar 50/50 mix with water. Does the trick and cheap too!

Same here. I also do a white vinegar/washing up liquid mix in a spray bottle which works well for tough stains.

I get bleach tablets on Ebay which work out much cheaper than bottle bleach, and it's better for the environment too (ie, no plastic bottles and much less energy cost to transport it).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...