DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

People who we should have heard about

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Newlands

First sewage system in the world. There should be a statue of this guy here, I only heard about him by watching a documentary. This ain't right, this is a major achievement.

Are there others?

Let's celebrate them

Edited by lid
Celebrate
3 hours ago, lid said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Newlands

First sewage system in the world. There should be a statue of this guy here, I only heard about him by watching a documentary. This ain't right, this is a major achievement.

Are there others?

Let's celebrate them

He was an amazing guy by the sound of it, he doubled Scouser’s life expectancy, which some might not view as a good thing... 9_9

George Washington Carver - the inventor of peanut butter.

Yes, next time you are asked to name a famous black scientist, put his name forwards. This man actually did do something.

He's likely to be overlooked by many, because of his religious faith. Although now that people have realised that he didn't marry, there have been attempts (without evidence) to re-brand him as an African-American LGBT icon.

24 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Bet he read the sun

You don't need to "read" the sun, you can just tell what the articles are from the pictures:

Katie Price - Either new BF, random pumper or holiday without the kids

Jesy Nelson - Latest Breakdown

Trump - I won the election

Giggs, Shagged someone other than my GF

Meghan & Harry - Moaning about something or someone

IACGMOOH - Bushtuckers!

etc.

Only bits worth reading are reader comments :)

Edited by TheNickos

There are Thousands of people in the UK who should be hero worshiped and yet their neighbours barley know them, people who work in medicine, engineering, social improvement for the downtrodden and the inventors of so many things we just take for granted now.

But the type of vermin we hero worship and put on a pedestal is shocking and getting worse. Footballers, reality "stars", You Tube sensations, film stars, many of these sporting stars for example using drugs in order to win in order to then be hero worshiped under a false perception, one of which will be on a TV sets for a couple of weeks soon with his grubby little politically correct woke title who I and many others have our suspicions about.

There was nothing wrong with the world when our daughters would announce that they wanted to care for people as a nurse say, I would and have been hugely proud, now many want to be Katie Price.

6 minutes ago, haroldshand said:

There are Thousands of people in the UK who should be hero worshiped and yet their neighbours barley know them, people who work in medicine, engineering, social improvement for the downtrodden and the inventors of so many things we just take for granted now.

But the type of vermin we hero worship and put on a pedestal is shocking and getting worse. Footballers, reality "stars", You Tube sensations, film stars, many of these sporting stars for example using drugs in order to win in order to then be hero worshiped under a false perception, one of which will be on a TV sets for a couple of weeks soon with his grubby little politically correct woke title who I and many others have our suspicions about.

There was nothing wrong with the world when our daughters would announce that they wanted to care for people as a nurse say, I would and have been hugely proud, now many want to be Katie Price.

I think that's always been the way: people like their celebrities to be low culture.  We look back at Victorina Britain and think that Isambard Kingdom Brunel and Florence Nightingale were the big celebrities but they weren't.

Some of the biggest celebrities were competitive walkers or "pedestrians".

How Competitive Walking Captivated Georgian Britain

In 1815, thousands of people came to watch George Wilson, the “Blackheath Pedestrian,” walk 1,000 miles.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/pedestrianism-george-wilson-walking

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedestrianism