DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

With Covid and lots of people currently losing their jobs or likely to in the near future, (myself probably included) I have started this thread to help myself and others understand what help is available if you are made redundant. I have always worked (p/t and f/t for the last 40 years, since my first Saturday job at 14. Only had to sign on twice, for a few months max. The last time was 20 years ago. No idea what to do now. I'm sure there is lots online and will check it out to and post it here.

1 hour ago, Chewing Grass said:

I have got a feeling that a lot of over 55s will effectively be left to pasture by the state on some form of convenient benefit to push them off the books.

Maybe 45 onwards. That is what happened to my Dad (building trade) at the end of the 80's early 90's. He was a JCB Digger driver, the building trade went down. Being a proud self reliant man (He also had a small holding, kept animals and bees and grew his own veg) he didn't want to sign on. He set up as a self employed gardener, but found himself undercut by those who were signing on and doing gardening work as cash in hand. He had MS - Multiple Sclerosis, but didn't know it at the time, looking back there were a few small signs in his late 30's, and it wasn't until his eyesight went whilst driving that he decided to see a Doctor. Due to his work situation ,they thought he was trying to claim benefits (incapacity?). It wasn't until he was 55 that they finally believed him and tested him. He was diagnosed with MS (Primary Progressive) , went downhill, as is it's nature and spent his last few years bed bound, unable to walk, fed by a tube in his stomache, and not able to see or speak. A truly cruel disease.

Being 54, I have been thinking about Personal Pensions recently, I did think the Govt. may reduce the age you can take your Private Pension from 55 back to 50 which it used to be, means test it, which would basically force you to take it if you couldn't find work.

Although I have just read on the Credit Deflation thread that they have got an effective vaccine. All change again.

50 minutes ago, Southmartin said:

Ask XYY man

Yes, I know his circumstances and was hoping he may have some input, but to be honest, I recently put in a request for an appearance by Mrs XYY via YouTube, which he said he may work on over the next few weeks, so I  am hoping he is currently busy and having fun with a gold wig somewhere. 

37 minutes ago, working woman said:

Yes, I know his circumstances and was hoping he may have some input, but to be honest, I recently put in a request for an appearance by Mrs XYY via YouTube, which he said he may work on over the next few weeks, so I  am hoping he is currently busy and having fun with a gold wig somewhere. 

She was on about visiting me with a blindfold and a few gramm of ketamine no idea what that’s all about

Go onto the gov website.  You can sign on there.  It will ask you all sorts of questions.  But regardless of savings, if you're out of work and have full NI payments for the last two years then you will receive £74 per week.  If you have savings of more than £15k I think then after six months you will be kicked off and left to fend for yourself.  I signed on in October 19. Staff at the job centre were all very pleasant and it became apparent to me that the system is not there to help the decent person.  If I spunked all my savings on a vastly over priced house then I could go and sign on again.  The message is clear and simple - do not be responsible with money.  Blow everything you have!  I won't, because I know that will enslave me to their system, and that is what they really want. 

Edited by Iamcynical