Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

The good service thread


Recommended Posts

Thought with all the doom and gloom moaning and generally shit service fro everyone, it would be a good time to start a thread to acknowledge when companies go above and beyond.  
 

my offering 

bought a pair of Michelin stealth windscreen wipers months and months ago. Finally got round to fitting them this weekend. Only to find that the instructions were pisspoor and there seemed to be an adapter missing.  
 

so, Sunday, i contacted Michelin via their website. Monday, a nice man contacted me. After a brief email discussion, the missing bracket thingy was posted out. Arrived today and windscreen wipers fitted.  
 

excellent after service. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Difficult one. I bought a rechargeable vacuum cleaner at Argos because I had some vouchers to use up before expiry. It was 200 quid and didn't look worth it quite honestly. I would never have paid real money for it.

Whatever, I unboxed and started vacuuming and about 3 minutes later it had died.  Got on the manufacturer website, live chat, told them the problem, ah yes we know that one. Very efficient all done in a few minutes. Replacement part arrived couple of days later in the post (fit it yourself.)

So was that good service? I mean it was, but all told I would rather it just didn't break.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Difficult one. I bought a rechargeable vacuum cleaner at Argos because I had some vouchers to use up before expiry. It was 200 quid and didn't look worth it quite honestly. I would never have paid real money for it.

Whatever, I unboxed and started vacuuming and about 3 minutes later it had died.  Got on the manufacturer website, live chat, told them the problem, ah yes we know that one. Very efficient all done in a few minutes. Replacement part arrived couple of days later in the post (fit it yourself.)

So was that good service? I mean it was, but all told I would rather it just didn't break.

Another thing that has been lost. Any product testing on the production line, most stuff gets shipped out faults and all. Took back a Lidl portable air compressor yesterday, junk straight out of the box.  They are efficient because  the process is so well known (as are the faults)  - no need to run checks the faults are so common they know straight away 99% of the time. The ultimate is not even sending out parts, just swap out, accept the return and place all the returns onto a pallet to go to auction sold as pallet of junk, some of which may be fixable.

Edited by onlyme
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Difficult one. I bought a rechargeable vacuum cleaner at Argos because I had some vouchers to use up before expiry. It was 200 quid and didn't look worth it quite honestly. I would never have paid real money for it.

Whatever, I unboxed and started vacuuming and about 3 minutes later it had died.  Got on the manufacturer website, live chat, told them the problem, ah yes we know that one. Very efficient all done in a few minutes. Replacement part arrived couple of days later in the post (fit it yourself.)

So was that good service? I mean it was, but all told I would rather it just didn't break.

Well yes but it’s good to come across companies that are willing to own and rectify their mistakes. Some will just take the money and run.  
 

out of interest, what hand held for 200 quid?  o.O

1 minute ago, onlyme said:

Another thing that has been lost. Any product testing on the production line, most stuff gets shipped out faults and all. Took back a Lidl portable air compressor yesterday, junk straight out of the box.  They are efficient because  the process is so well known (as are the faults)  - no need to run checks the faults are so common they know straight away 99% of the time. The ultimate is not even sending out parts, just swap out, accept the return and place all the returns onto a pallet to go to auction sold as pallet of junk, some of which may be fixable.

Ah the old British Leyland model of the consumer doing the final quality checks.  xD

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, onlyme said:

Took back a Lidl portable air compressor

What's the secret to taking things back to Lidl? I tried it with one or two things in the past but the shop staff really do not want to know. They insist you contact "Head Office." When you do contact Head Office you discover that your call is important to them but owing to Covid/Brexit/the Boer War they are experiencing a high volume right now.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?" "Are you using the right type of custard mix?" (in your failed satellite TV receiver)

etc.

I seriously do only buy food at Lidl these days.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Difficult one. I bought a rechargeable vacuum cleaner at Argos because I had some vouchers to use up before expiry. It was 200 quid and didn't look worth it quite honestly. I would never have paid real money for it.

Whatever, I unboxed and started vacuuming and about 3 minutes later it had died.  Got on the manufacturer website, live chat, told them the problem, ah yes we know that one. Very efficient all done in a few minutes. Replacement part arrived couple of days later in the post (fit it yourself.)

So was that good service? I mean it was, but all told I would rather it just didn't break.

Or take it back to Argos and get it replaced?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, One percent said:

out of interest, what hand held for 200 quid?

This. It sort of works OK but I'm sure you can get better.

https://www.gtech.co.uk/cordless-vacuum-cleaners/uprights/airram-mk2.html

OR for an extra 50 notes you can buy the "MK2 K9" model which is the same but with all the known faults fixed!

Edited by Funn3r
Add cynicism for bug-fix version
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Funn3r said:

What's the secret to taking things back to Lidl? I tried it with one or two things in the past but the shop staff really do not want to know. They insist you contact "Head Office." When you do contact Head Office you discover that your call is important to them but owing to Covid/Brexit/the Boer War they are experiencing a high volume right now.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?" "Are you using the right type of custard mix?" (in your failed satellite TV receiver)

etc.

I seriously do only buy food at Lidl these days.

I haven't tried as nothing I have bought has broken (bar a beadmaker after a couple of years of heavy use but that was my fault anyway) but I have seen people at the tills have things replaced with no issue as long as they have the receipt and it was either bought with cash or on card and they have they card so that it can be credited back.

Maybe it varies by branch.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

This. It sort of works OK but I'm sure you can get better.

https://www.gtech.co.uk/cordless-vacuum-cleaners/uprights/airram-mk2.html

👍

bloody expensive. I was toying with the idea of buying this, until I woke up to exactly how much it was for a bloody vacuum cleaner 

https://www.johnlewis.com/miele-triflex-hx1-cordless-vacuum-cleaner/p4890236?sku=238539173&colour=Grey&&s_ppc=2dx92700055529907362&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&msclkid=ec2f8439761c1f067d84db93d826603d&gclid=ec2f8439761c1f067d84db93d826603d&gclsrc=3p.ds

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Hell fire that's dear. They've got an even more expensive one for 679.99 ouch.

I had my old vacuum cleaner for 25+ years and when it packed up I couldn't get the parts. Also I live in small flat and can get away with only having a rechargeable. This new one is never going to last that length of time.

I am guessing that with all these rechargeable things the weak spot is the battery conks out after a couple of years and the insane price of a new battery encourages you to spend the extra for complete new unit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, One percent said:

Thought with all the doom and gloom moaning and generally shit service fro everyone, it would be a good time to start a thread to acknowledge when companies go above and beyond.  
 

my offering 

bought a pair of Michelin stealth windscreen wipers months and months ago. Bought the wrong ones, so had to ask a bloke to sort it out and buy the proper ones. Finally got the same bloke back round to fit them this weekend. Only he found that, despite persevering for hours and not throwing a strop as I would have done after 15 seconds, the instructions were pisspoor and there seemed to be an adapter missing.  
 

so, Sunday, i contacted Michelin via their website. They never understood what I was saying, even after half-an-hour of shouting at them, so I had to get same good-natured bloke back round to explain my predicament. Monday, a nice man contacted me. After a brief email discussion, the missing bracket thingy was posted out. Arrived today and windscreen wipers fitted by the same bloke who has rescued me so often from such complicated matters. Women and cars, eh?

Where would we be without men who are good at these things?  
 

excellent after service. 

Isn't this what really happened, Onesie? xD

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Hell fire that's dear. They've got an even more expensive one for 679.99 ouch.

I had my old vacuum cleaner for 25+ years and when it packed up I couldn't get the parts. Also I live in small flat and can get away with only having a rechargeable. This new one is never going to last that length of time.

I am guessing that with all these rechargeable things the weak spot is the battery conks out after a couple of years and the insane price of a new battery encourages you to spend the extra for complete new unit.

I bought a robot vac about 7 years ago and when the battery expired I had no trouble finding a replacement for not a lot of money, can't remember exactly how much but in the order of a few tenners.

I'll look up the make of the cleaner later if anyone wants to know. It does work ok but I'd reckon that you could find better these days.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Another thing that has been lost. Any product testing on the production line, most stuff gets shipped out faults and all. Took back a Lidl portable air compressor yesterday, junk straight out of the box.  They are efficient because  the process is so well known (as are the faults)  - no need to run checks the faults are so common they know straight away 99% of the time. The ultimate is not even sending out parts, just swap out, accept the return and place all the returns onto a pallet to go to auction sold as pallet of junk, some of which may be fixable.

Used to go an auction house that sold individual items off these pallets would buy anything Argos related and take it back for a refund in the days when you did not need a receipt.made a few bob doing this then others cottoned on 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

I bought a robot vac about 7 years ago and when the battery expired I had no trouble finding a replacement for not a lot of money, can't remember exactly how much but in the order of a few tenners.

I'll look up the make of the cleaner later if anyone wants to know. It does work ok but I'd reckon that you could find better these days.

OK so I had a look.

The vac which @One percent was considering is an eye-watering 479 quid, but maybe it's worth it who knows. I really doubt it. 

A new battery at same shop is 150 quid.  150 for a battery! That is definitely taking the piss.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A while back I bought an LED replacement for a florescent tube. It arrived but it needed a device to stick in instead of the florescent starter. I called the supplier, TCL-Direct in the late afternoon and the device appeared in the post the next morning. To my shame, I found the device in the packaging that the LED came in after I called them to bollock them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

OK so I had a look.

The vac which @One percent was considering is an eye-watering 479 quid, but maybe it's worth it who knows. I really doubt it. 

A new battery at same shop is 150 quid.  150 for a battery! That is definitely taking the piss.

I managed to find the battery manufacturer's part number on my battery which was probably where I was lucky.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rare Bear said:

I managed to find the battery manufacturer's part number on my battery which was probably where I was lucky.

I've had this many times in the past with cordless drills. The battery packs up and costs a fortune. If you're lucky you can crack open the old one and inside its very custom plastic case are garden-variety chinese power cells with solder tags. Just replace them and glue the top back on.

I bet manufacturers got wise to that now and made the plastic unopenable or something like that.

5 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

A while back I bought an LED replacement for a florescent tube. It arrived but it needed a device to stick in instead of the florescent starter. I called the supplier, TCL-Direct in the late afternoon and the device appeared in the post the next morning. To my shame, I found the device in the packaging that the LED came in after I called them to bollock them. 

TCL are really good I used to get tons of stuff from the one in Slough.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Funn3r said:

Difficult one. I bought a rechargeable vacuum cleaner at Argos because I had some vouchers to use up before expiry. It was 200 quid and didn't look worth it quite honestly. I would never have paid real money for it.

Whatever, I unboxed and started vacuuming and about 3 minutes later it had died.  Got on the manufacturer website, live chat, told them the problem, ah yes we know that one. Very efficient all done in a few minutes. Replacement part arrived couple of days later in the post (fit it yourself.)

So was that good service? I mean it was, but all told I would rather it just didn't break.

Edited by RWJ
Read whole thread
Link to post
Share on other sites

The guys who work in my local Beautiful Pub.

They are all University students (proper subjects - no surf studies) and really look after my friends and I. 

Although it isn't something the pub do, we get table service outside in the summer and free nibbles et cetera. 

All really nice, intelligent, hard working young people who are just starting out.

Completely blows out of the water the idea that the youth of today are all total mongs.

They have been putting a brave face on things over the summer, but covid is fucking them over big time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MrLibertyRedux said:

The guys who work in my local Beautiful Pub.

They are all University students (proper subjects - no surf studies) and really look after my friends and I. 

Although it isn't something the pub do, we get table service outside in the summer and free nibbles et cetera. 

All really nice, intelligent, hard working young people who are just starting out.

Completely blows out of the water the idea that the youth of today are all total mongs.

They have been putting a brave face on things over the summer, but covid is fucking them over big time.

I have never liked the practice of tipping people. If I go to America it's got to the point where I would just rather eat in than cope with their restaurant tipping system. Especially when it's now mostly credit card tips it can get really tricky with a non-US card.

In UK I have heard that they all have to pool tips anyway which again misses the point if you liked the service from a particular person.

I have had good experiences recently just like you describe. People who you know don't get paid much going out of their way to be nice and helpful for you. What I've done is to swap loads of my ex-business travel hotel points for a bunch of five-quid plastic Amazon gift cards. I haven't actually handed any out yet but I'll give it a try post lockdown and hoping it works instead of tipping.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Most surprising good service was off a seller on Amazon.

I bought some Sika concrete repair  (a kind of two part epoxy that mixes in the nozzle).

Except when it arrived the nozzle was missing.    You can buy spare mixing nozzles but I was annoyed so had a moan to the seller.

The next day the new nozzle arrived.   With a full additional tube of Sika CR attached to it.   Bloody good service considering it costs £15 quid a tube.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

A while back I bought an LED replacement for a florescent tube. It arrived but it needed a device to stick in instead of the florescent starter. I called the supplier, TCL-Direct in the late afternoon and the device appeared in the post the next morning. To my shame, I found the device in the packaging that the LED came in after I called them to bollock them. 

I did something very similar with a laptop on e-Bay.

It arrive so I plugged in, started but wasn't charging. Messed around with it loads but just wasn't charging. Eventually decided it was the charger so contacted the seller who was really great and sent out a replacement immediately.

That arrived and same problem.... which was the fact the other end of the extension lead wasn't plugged in.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...