DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Would positive thing would you personally like to see come out of Covid once it ends

Just now, haroldshand said:

Did they before?

My Dad gets his news from the Guardian and the BBC.

He spontaneously told me that he had had to turn the television news off because he was "sick of the government propaganda" (his words). This is a man who voted Remain, hates Trump and doesn't see any problem with mass immigration. All the Covid crap has made him stop and think, at least for a moment.

This is a personal negative but an overall positive.

My BBC local radio station, Radio Cornwall, had been absolutely top notch for years and I would typically listen to it for three to four hours every weekday; mostly when driving.

Whilst it coincided with the Covid panic starting, and this may not have been the underlying cause, in March the schedule went from three hour slots with more than one presenter down to four slots with only one presenter.

No single presenter, bar maybe Chris Evans on speed, can talk for four hours solid so it was all hugely padded out with music and playing the same clips multiple times.  It essentially changed from a talk station with music to a music station with talk. 

Play lists are centrally-compiled so do not take account of RC having a generally older audience who do not want to hear current top forty pap but that's mostly what they get.  

I was hoping this was a temporary state of affairs for the pandemic but there has been a big round of voluntary redundancies in both RC and the linked local TV news Spotlight so it's here to stay.  The odd time I have seen Spotlight in the same period (6.30pm regional news)  that has also fallen off a cliff into what appears to be a regional version of The One Show.  All it would take would be for Matt "how thick is he?" Baker to turn up and that would be the end of it.

I now listen to Radio Cornwall for ten minutes in the morning to get the weather, radios, and local headlines.

Anyway: to the overall positive.

In turning its regional output from decent to dire the BBC will have lost a lot of listeners and viewers; all of whom will no longer be subjected to its propaganda masquerading as news. 

5 minutes ago, haroldshand said:

What part Joe?

My Dad came from LondonDerry, he was a right c***:)

All round; but Belfast especially.

Examples of very ordinary 2.5 bed semi's in the £250K region that would have been £170-ish about 6 years ago, if that.

Apparently a house sold in the street I grew up recently for £280K. Similar size of house. For context the house we sold was bought for £80K in 2000, rose to £300K-ish by 2006, sold for £175K about 7 years ago and I'd guess would be £250K+ now.

EDIT: An apartment I know of that sold for £110K about 7 years ago is on sale for £200k now....although admittidly nobody's buying it.

Edited by JoeDavola
4 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

This is a personal negative but an overall positive.

My BBC local radio station, Radio Cornwall, had been absolutely top notch for years and I would typically listen to it for three to four hours every weekday; mostly when driving.

Whilst it coincided with the Covid panic starting, and this may not have been the underlying cause, in March the schedule went from three hour slots with more than one presenter down to four slots with only one presenter.

No single presenter, bar maybe Chris Evans on speed, can talk for four hours solid so it was all hugely padded out with music and playing the same clips multiple times.  It essentially changed from a talk station with music to a music station with talk. 

Play lists are centrally-compiled so do not take account of RC having a generally older audience who do not want to hear current top forty pap but that's mostly what they get.  

I was hoping this was a temporary state of affairs for the pandemic but there has been a big round of voluntary redundancies in both RC and the linked local TV news Spotlight so it's here to stay.  The odd time I have seen Spotlight in the same period (6.30pm regional news)  that has also fallen off a cliff into what appears to be a regional version of The One Show.  All it would take would be for Matt "how thick is he?" Baker to turn up and that would be the end of it.

I now listen to Radio Cornwall for ten minutes in the morning to get the weather, radios, and local headlines.

Anyway: to the overall positive.

In turning its regional output from decent to dire the BBC will have lost a lot of listeners and viewers; all of whom will no longer be subjected to its propaganda masquerading as news. 

Interesting. I have also recently found RC to be far more palatable [mostly less ram-the-official-covid-line-down-ya-unwilling-throat] that Radio Devon.

It occurred to me as I lasted only one ad break with one of the commercial radio stations with super quick terms on every gambling ad before going back to beeb just for ad-free that I would pay for an ad free decent radio station. Not sure there is one.

What do you listen to instead of RC?

My positive thing would be end of BBC license fee and total revolution in the world of TV and radio offerings.

BBC could become some sort of university / springboard for genuine talent who want to start their career with the help of BBC's name and backroom talent. A little like the pub / fringe theatre and music scene giving artists a place to develop and do interesting things with the opportunity to go on to the west end - movies - stadium tours or whatever if they want the big bucks and are good enough.

2 minutes ago, BWW said:

Interesting. I have also recently found RC to be far more palatable [mostly less ram-the-official-covid-line-down-ya-unwilling-throat] that Radio Devon.

It occurred to me as I lasted only one ad break with one of the commercial radio stations with super quick terms on every gambling ad before going back to beeb just for ad-free that I would pay for an ad free decent radio station. Not sure there is one.

What do you listen to instead of RC?

My positive thing would be end of BBC license fee and total revolution in the world of TV and radio offerings.

BBC could become some sort of university / springboard for genuine talent who want to start their career with the help of BBC's name and backroom talent. A little like the pub / fringe theatre and music scene giving artists a place to develop and do interesting things with the opportunity to go on to the west end - movies - stadium tours or whatever if they want the big bucks and are good enough.

I used to like Radio Devon for a bit of variety but haven't listened to it since March so don't know how badly it has been ruined.  I expect it's the same.

I have mainly replaced RC with Classic FM and Radio 4 Extra comedies.

Coincidentally I am trying to get into comedy writing by submitting to the BBC's Newsjack whilst avoiding the tired  old Trump / Boris jokes that is its staple.  It's not running atm.

8 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Coincidentally I am trying to get into comedy writing by submitting to the BBC's Newsjack whilst avoiding the tired  old Trump / Boris jokes that is its staple.  It's not running atm.

You are an accountant @Frank Hovis, famed for their humour.

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

I quite fancied being a comedian @Frank Hovis, but engineers aren't funny, unless you include HS2, and Hinkley C.

I don't want to be a comedian; I just want a few jokes read out on the radio.  Maybe the odd sketch and the height of my ambition would a six part radio series.

The money is sod all (£22 per joke!) so I never considered it as a proper job; as a hobby it's good.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

I don't want to be a comedian; I just want a few jokes read out on the radio.  Maybe the odd sketch and the height of my ambition would a six part radio series.

The money is sod all (£22 per joke!) so I never considered it as a proper job; as a hobby it's good.

I've my name down for Hinkley, should they ever finish it, and my jokes are £45 an hour.