DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Fuckin' Weather

1 hour ago, montecristo said:

I've been few times now Matty.  Bkk, Cha-am and Phuket.  Yeah, I hear Koh Samui is stunning.  I might venture into Cambodia for a week this time as I've never been.  This retirement location research is hard work :D

God I could never imagine taking a woman to Thailand.  Sand to a beach comes to mind.

Provided there is no kissing I sure  happy ending massage is not considered cheating!

I think if you take a woman to Thailand they charge you corkage at immigration.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone else's finger hovering over the ignore user button?

Posted Images

There hasn't been one day in Dumfries & Galloway for several weeks when it hasn't rained. Not just showers, we have had torrential downpours. There has been plenty of sunny spells mixed in though and a very welcome respite from the rain.

I think it was Billy Connelly who said there's no such thing as bad weather.... only wrong clothing! Decent wet weather clothing is a must have in the UK!

One of my dogs refuses to go a walk in really wet weather. I imagine that while it's sitting at the window watching me and my other dog set off she's thinking.....look at those idiots going out in that xD

Never mind. This too shall pass. At some point we'll get a really nice dry spell. The schools start back on Monday here so that's a good sign as it's a frequent complaint about the weather improving after the school summer holidays.

8 hours ago, Green Devil said:

Wheres that then, swissy, swiss somewhere? mountains looks like the low alps, luzerne?

Swimming pool on outskirts of Geneva, the mountains are the Jura, babies by alpine standards but still considerably higher than Ben Nevis.

The pool is the kind of place that would only be built for a rich persons country club in the anglophone world, because plebs don't need space to breathe or nice things, right? Hectares of park around 3 pools, one Olympic size. Cafe, sand volleyball courts, outdoor ping pong, slides/swings etc for kids, and it only gets stupidly crowded in weekend heatwaves outside school hols(June was bad this year as was very hot). 

http://www.meyrin.ch/jahia/Jahia/administration/sports/pid/678

12 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Swimming pool on outskirts of Geneva, the mountains are the Jura, babies by alpine standards but still considerably higher than Ben Nevis.

The pool is the kind of place that would only be built for a rich persons country club in the anglophone world, because plebs don't need space to breathe or nice things, right? Hectares of park around 3 pools, one Olympic size. Cafe, sand volleyball courts, outdoor ping pong, slides/swings etc for kids, and it only gets stupidly crowded in weekend heatwaves outside school hols(June was bad this year as was very hot). 

http://www.meyrin.ch/jahia/Jahia/administration/sports/pid/678

Switzerland is one of the most developed countries in the world, with the highest nominal wealth per adult and the eighth-highest per capita gross domestic product according to the IMF.[13][14] Switzerland ranks at or near the top globally in several metrics of national performance, including government transparency, civil liberties, quality of life, economic competitiveness, and human development. Zürich and Geneva have each been ranked among the top cities in the world in terms of quality of life

How did Switzerland get it so right and we so wrong?

Looks fantastic <sigh>

We should have a thread about South East Asia on here. Currently thinking about splashing out on an expensive long-term visa for Thailand myself.

Don't want to spend another winter in Northern Europe now, getting back to about 5 degrees in October after a couple of months not being below 28 degrees was quite the shock.

3 minutes ago, Stunley Andwin said:

We should have a thread about South East Asia on here. Currently thinking about splashing out on an expensive long-term visa for Thailand myself.

Don't want to spend another winter in Northern Europe now, getting back to about 5 degrees in October after a couple of months not being below 28 degrees was quite the shock.

I take it you are under 50 and talking about the elite visa Stunley?  

3 minutes ago, montecristo said:

I take it you are under 50 and talking about the elite visa Stunley?  

That's right, the 1 million THB 20 year option would take me well into the retirement visa territory and it seems to be a very good deal. Do you live permanently in Thailand yourself Montecristo?

I would ideally like to live in the Britain and Europe of my childhood, but that is gone forever now, Europe seems to be getting worse every month and there is not the political will to save it, nor do the population seem to be willing to try to save it.

3 minutes ago, Stunley Andwin said:

That's right, the 1 million THB 20 year option would take me well into the retirement visa territory and it seems to be a very good deal. Do you live permanently in Thailand yourself Montecristo?

I would ideally like to live in the Britain and Europe of my childhood, but that is gone forever now, Europe seems to be getting worse every month and there is not the political will to save it, nor do the population seem to be willing to try to save it.

+1

Unfortunately I don't live in Thailand but planning to spend longer periods there over the next few years.  6 months working in the UK and 6 months in SE Asia or S/C America.  I'm might go down the 5 year elite visa which would take close to retirement visa.  Works out 2k a year.  It is a bit steep but the cost of doing border runs etc without the elite visa would soon add up.

I'm hearing that even doing the border runs is getting tricky.  Immigration like to see a substantial amount of time between leaving  and returning.

You are thinking about the 20 year elite visa.  My concern there is the high chance of it being scrapped over the 20 years with zero refund.

8 hours ago, swissy_fit said:

That's easy. They have democracy, the U.K. doesn't and rejected even a small move in the direction of democracy a few years ago.

However it's by no means all clover here. 

The most Swiss place I ever saw in Switzerland is Zug, looks like a Microsoft Windows wallpaper in every direction. The French cantons generally look a bit scrappier than the German ones though...

Edited by Panther
22 hours ago, Stunley Andwin said:

What to the native Thais think of the Westerners going over and living there? I have always wondered, if it's a problem for them.

I guess at worst we're driving up their house prices :ph34r:

On 19/08/2017 at 22:45, Sgt Hartman said:

It's shite.

I drove to Blackburn the other day to pick up a hearth for my fireplace (woodburner thread update imminent) and, on the way, it shat down with a fury that I've not experienced since living in SE Asia during the monsoons.

I had to pull on to the hard shoulder at one point, you couldn't see shit.

Twenty minutes later, the sun was baking down and it felt genuinely hot.

I'm getting tired of working in it though.  It's almost impossible to plan a week of outdoor work when it's like this and I'm seriously starting to get the arse.

After ten years of working outside, I think I'm qualified to state...

British weather is fucking shite.

I've only ever worked outside in the summer on archaeology digs so I have a fairly rose-tinted view of it.

The reality of outdoor work year round was brought home to me by somebody saying her husband is actually pleased when it pours down on holiday because he can keep out of it but if he was at work he would be copping it.

Indeed, Frank, the UK weather puts me off working outside as a job. I love gardening, but having spoken to several gardeners it sounds very mixed in reality. When it's good, it's good. But when it's bad, it's wet, not well paid, seasonal, backbreaking and causes arthritis, etc etc.  Most gardeners get out of the manual work in their 40s, and move indoors to the hothouse.

• spunko featured this topic