• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

JoeDavola

Fuckin' Weather

9 hours ago, Ash4781b said:

When is Storm Ciara due to hit?

Edit: I was going to fly a kite this weekend. You don’t seem to see many people flying kites these days.

Love kites, want to build an old style Cody man lifter and see how much weight I can get off the ground. Have one in the car most of the time.

10 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Love kites, want to build an old style Cody man lifter and see how much weight I can get off the ground. Have one in the car most of the time.

at Uni the kite flying club was a front for something else that got high

Just now, spunko said:

Apparently the wind is really bad in Ireland...@JoeDavola or @Malthus is it bad there in Norn Iron?

My weather app gave me a warning earlier about the wind tomorrow, never done that before. 9_9

Forecast to be really shit here tomorrow.

So I have booked a window table in a great oceanfront restaurant for lunch.

I love severe storms. More so because I don't own a house. 😁😁

7 minutes ago, spunko said:

Apparently the wind is really bad in Ireland...@JoeDavola or @Malthus is it bad there in Norn Iron?

My weather app gave me a warning earlier about the wind tomorrow, never done that before. 9_9

It’s hideous tonight - freezing cold, wet and really strong winds. Just horrible. 

2 hours ago, spunko said:

Really windy from lunchtime , I’ve just been woken by the rain beating on the window 😢

Forecast for nasty weather for the next few days 

The reports from my family in the far west are that this Storm Dennis is so far worse than Ciara last week... the fields and ditches are still overflowing so no idea what's going to happen if there's as much rain as forecast :o

36 minutes ago, spunko said:

The reports from my family in the far west are that this Storm Dennis is so far worse than Ciara last week... the fields and ditches are still overflowing so no idea what's going to happen if there's as much rain as forecast :o

It's not as torrential as their radar thought. Which is good.

Just shook the side door and the living room window. Lots of rain. Even the tomcat has graced us with his presence.

So far not as bad as Ciara, but there’s plenty of time yet.

A Kaiju has just emerged from the neighbours fishpond and is now wreaking devastation amongst their garden gnomes. And my cat has just come out of the laundry room wearing some sort of mechanical combat suit.... he’s struggling to get through the cat flap wearing it though.

Should I be worried?

Edited by Melchett

Been pissing it down since about 10am, luckily just after a chap I know popped by to have a look at the boundary fence between my gaff and next door after part of it was destroyed by Ciara last weekend. The fence itself has always been shit quality from when I originally moved in. But because it's a separator between two house, I refuse to pay full price to replace it - next door should pay half as it's only fair. However, my original neighbour didn't give a shit and just left everything to fall apart (they ended up fleeing before repossession). The place was then sold to a useless landlady. So, when the fence inevitably broke every 3 years or so, muggins would have to foot the bill. Although there was a nice old lady who renting it for a while and the daft mare would pay a handyman to fix jobs around the house that weren't her responsibility, thus giving me a six year respite. A young couple have now bought the place and they, at least, had to courtesy to pop round and ask what I wanted to do. Because they've just moved in I doubt they'll be able to afford what I want - replace the fucking lot with featherboard panels and concrete posts and boards.

I'm sure I'll report back when next door gets one of their parents to install a replacement cardboard panel and 2x2 posts. And then I'll be starting the countdown until the next storm.

1 minute ago, TheNoSnowMan said:

I'm sure I'll report back when next door gets one of their parents to install a replacement cardboard panel and 2x2 posts. And then I'll be starting the countdown until the next storm.

That's why hedges are so good but today's home-owner’s and renters are too fucking lazy to trim them.

A green, living. self regenerating fence that provides a home for little critters, it will never catch on.

3 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

That's why hedges are so good but today's home-owner’s and renters are too fucking lazy to trim them.

A green, living. self regenerating fence that provides a home for little critters, it will never catch on.

Gotta have somewhere to park your 4x4 and electric car these days. Front gardens are old school. 

16 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Strangely not. It used to be the norm. And they grow back when blown over.

18 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

D'you know, that's exactly what I suggested to my Mrs. Grow a hedge - the regenerating fence.

Then she added the same you did. It would need both side taking care of it to last.

Just now, TheNoSnowMan said:

D'you know, that's exactly what I suggested to my Mrs. Grow a hedge - the regenerating fence.

Then she added the same you did. It would need both side taking care of it to last.

You have to jump over it with a chainsaw. That way your neighbour spots you are a reasonable citizen.

31 minutes ago, TheNoSnowMan said:

Been pissing it down since about 10am, luckily just after a chap I know popped by to have a look at the boundary fence between my gaff and next door after part of it was destroyed by Ciara last weekend. The fence itself has always been shit quality from when I originally moved in. But because it's a separator between two house, I refuse to pay full price to replace it - next door should pay half as it's only fair. However, my original neighbour didn't give a shit and just left everything to fall apart (they ended up fleeing before repossession). The place was then sold to a useless landlady. So, when the fence inevitably broke every 3 years or so, muggins would have to foot the bill. Although there was a nice old lady who renting it for a while and the daft mare would pay a handyman to fix jobs around the house that weren't her responsibility, thus giving me a six year respite. A young couple have now bought the place and they, at least, had to courtesy to pop round and ask what I wanted to do. Because they've just moved in I doubt they'll be able to afford what I want - replace the fucking lot with featherboard panels and concrete posts and boards.

Possibly very outdated dodgy knowledge but isn't there some kind of rule that everyone is responsible for the fence on the right hand side, not shared responsibility?

Edited by Wight Flight

5 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Possibly very outdated dodgy knowledge but isn't there some kind of rule that everyone is responsible for the fence on the right hand side, not shared responsibility?

I did look into it but, apparently, there is no law/rule that forces you to have a boundary fence. Even if it were 100% my neighbours responsibility they are not obliged to have one. Since my new neighbours have been neighbourly about it (so far) I'm willing to put my hand in my pocket so long as they are too.

15 minutes ago, TheNoSnowMan said:

I did look into it but, apparently, there is no law/rule that forces you to have a boundary fence. Even if it were 100% my neighbours responsibility they are not obliged to have one. Since my new neighbours have been neighbourly about it (so far) I'm willing to put my hand in my pocket so long as they are too.

Best way. Neighbourliness is to be encouraged.