DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Via Guido

https://order-order.com/2020/11/13/law-commission-would-make-mohammed-cartoons-illegal/

The Law Commission has published a 533-page consultation on reforming “hate crime and hate speech laws”. The new bill it wants to bring before the House of Commons is, according to the Free Speech Union, “tantamount to an Anti-Free Speech Bill which is an all-out attack on freedom of expression”. Andrew Tettenborn, Professor of Law at Swansea University, describes the Commission’s proposals as “the Scottish Hate Crime Bill on steroids”.

The commission suggests that “inflammatory cartoons” should not be covered by our right to free speech. The Commission writes: “Several recent incidents involving inflammatory images create grounds for concern… These include Islamophobic cartoons…” 

it really is relentless.

This reminds me of something I heard about court judges being given the right under UK law, to take your children away without any probable cause.
Potentially leading to the silencing of descenting voices by threatening to take their children away. Got kids? no free speech for you!!

It's under the umbrella of preventing child abuse, but it's not like these laws don't get abused for other purposes, like using covid laws to arrest people filming the migrant boats............

Edited by Snark
27 minutes ago, Snark said:

This reminds me of something I heard about court judges being given the right under UK law, to take your children away without any probable cause.

Yes, this has happened before, called "evacuation". All for their own good, of course. Many did not want to relive that experience. Australia took a load of children away too.

1 hour ago, MrPin said:

Yes, this has happened before, called "evacuation". All for their own good, of course. Many did not want to relive that experience. Australia took a load of children away too.

Just happened to need a load of cheap labour for growing food in the countryside at the same time. Oh look heres a load of kids doing nowt. 

5 hours ago, Snark said:

It's under the umbrella of preventing child abuse, but it's not like these laws don't get abused for other purposes, like using covid laws to arrest people filming the migrant boats............

Perish the thought...

I remember the introduction of RIPA, we were told:

The Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 (RIPA) governs the use of a number of intrusive powers, including access to communications data and the interception of communications. prevent or disrupt crime. Without them, we would be unable to bring criminals and terrorists to justice.

These would be the terrorists who conspire to send their kids to a school outside their catchment area or let their dogs poop on the pavement and don't clean it up?

Nut? Meet sledgehammer!